PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Oil Leak

dfd22120
08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
This spring I bought a 96 Prostar 205 with the LT1 engine. This is the first boat I have owned. I bought it from a good friend who took excellent care of it.

When the boat was a few years old it developed an oil leak which was "fixed" by the dealer. Each year it has developed the same problem. It is not a huge oil leak but enough to make a mess of the bilge area and be seen on the surface of the water when the plug is pulled on the lift. The dealer has been very good about standing behind their work with the previous owner, but each time they guarantee the problem is fixed and it keeps showing up. I am trying to figure out how to explain to the wife that we need to spend money on the "new" boat to fix a problem that we thought was fixed when we bought it.

Is there anyone on here that has dealt with the same problem with the LT1 engine?

T Scott
08-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Do You Know Where The Leak Is Coming From?

dfd22120
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I have no idea. The last time they worked on it they said they pulled the engine and said it was leaking from the oil drain plug. Each time they have worked on it they have thought they had fixed it.

I was wondering if there is a common place on the LT1 that has been known to leak?

bigmac
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Oil pan drain plug, or in this case the drain hose connection, is a pretty common leak point, although a bad oil pan gasket can drip oil down and drip off the plug making it look like a leaking plug. I would hope that if they went to the trouble of pulling the engine that they replaced that oil pan gasket at the same time they replaced the drain plug gasket and tightened it (hopefully didn't overtighten it).

JimN
08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Clean the bilge, wipe it dry and tape some kind of absorbent paper down and when you see drips, use a ball chain (like on a lamp) to let gravity tell you where they came from. Make sure the motor is totally clean before you do this. If the motor has oil all over it (I suspect it doesn't), it'll be almost impossible to tell where it's coming from.

Worst case, you can buy a UV dye kit from most auto parts stores. Also, go to Sears and get a Craftsman inspection mirror (lifetime warranty if it breaks, even the glass) to look under the oil pan. That, and a bright light, can show a lot.

boofer
08-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I second the oil pan gasket. Do as Jim recommended to locate it.

Did you get all of the service records with the boat? If you did, then you might be able to get the dealer to fix the problem (they said they fixed) correctly this time for no cost.

dfd22120
08-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the help. I will give it a try and see what I can find out.

I did not get the service records but the friend I bought the boat from bought an X-14 from them so we will probably take them to get winterized together. We will see what they say but they are a very good company and usually stand behind their work.

dfd22120
09-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know why I can not start a new thread? I started this one but I wanted to post another and can not figure out how I did it.