PDA

View Full Version : Purely showing off my dashboard!

CantRepeat
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I made some carbon fiber dash panels for my 92 when the stock one started cracking up and I could not find replacements!!

http://www.mikesell.net/dash.jpg

coz
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I made some carbon fiber dash panels for my 92 when the stock one started cracking up and I could not find replacements!!

http://www.mikesell.net/dash.jpg

Nice touch and nice job :headbang:

TX.X-30 fan
08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Damn fine looking job!!!

TMCNo1
08-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Looks outstanding!

JimN
08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Nice! Where did you get the material?

rholmes
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice! Where did you get the material?

I second that. I need to replace mine too!

boofer
08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Very, very nice!

CantRepeat
08-04-2008, 07:59 AM
I purchased everything I needed from www.fiberglast.com

3K, Plain Weave Carbon Fiber(CF) Fabric
4 Oz. Fabric: 50 inch wide standard fiberglass fabric
Vinyl Foam: 1/8 inch, 3 lb. Density
System 2000 Epoxy Resin

I purchased a 2'x2' piece of flat glass and used some plain no clearner car wax as the releasing agent. I put about 3 to 5 coats of wax on the glass and then polished it off. I had all the dash panels out of the boat and then cut the CF fabric in to a large rectangle for the dash and resined it onto the glass and let it dry over night.

I used the old panel as a pattern for the foam, which is used to make the dash thicker. I cut the foam to match the dash panel and then resined that to the hardend CF fiber for the dash and let that setup overnight.

The next day I resined fiberglass fabric to the foam and let it dry for a day. Then I just pop the entire mess off of the glass and used a very tiny high speed die grinder and cut out the holes for the gauges. I used a drill press to drill the mounting holes.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. I can't imagine what these would of cost to have them made.

JHogins
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks 92Maristar for the instructions... Excellent work!
I was going to cut my panels out of Aluminum. But after seeing your dash and reading your instructions - I'm going to copy what you did (I hope you don't mind).

Thanks for sharing.

Jon

Ric
08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Nice work, I have never messed with CF.

when you cut out the plates to fit the dashboard openings, did the material want to fray or crack away?

do you re-resin the edges after you cut out the panels?

looks like fun.

CantRepeat
08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
The CF never frayed at the end. I did end up taking black paint and painting the edges of the panels. Make sure that when you resin the foam down to the CF you kind of build the edge of the foam by dabbing in resin to the sides. Do the same when you put the fiberglass cloth on as well. This will give you area to shape so you can get a pretty good edge.

Be sure to cut out the gauge holes in the foam before you resin it down. Once it's all dry you can see through the fiberglass cloth to cut out the gauge holes. Do the fiberglass side first and only it. Then once you have all those cut out do the CF from the back side as well, that way you can see just how far you need to cut out.

You can tape the old panel to the new one and and put it on a drill press to make sure you drill the holes in the correct locations.

Before I came up with the carbon fiber idea I made a dash panel out of stainless steel that look terrible.

CantRepeat
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh and I made the SS radio cover too.

dapicatti
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow- looks great. What a great way to update your boat. Congrats.

GuitsBoy
08-06-2008, 07:42 AM
wow! Very nice indeed. here I thought you bought the panels, while really you layed them up from weave yourself. impressive.

bigmac
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Here (http://volvospeed.com/Mods/carbon_fiber_sheets.html)is a nice step-by-step on the process of making your own carbon fiber plates.

If I were doing it, I'd probably buy the weave already plated.

chudson
08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
That looks super, good job!!!

454Prostar190
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Pretty sharp!! Great job!

CantRepeat
08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Here (http://volvospeed.com/Mods/carbon_fiber_sheets.html)is a nice step-by-step on the process of making your own carbon fiber plates.

If I were doing it, I'd probably buy the weave already plated.

Why? Once you do it you find out just how easy it really is.

(Had to edit that sentence to make some sort of reason, I guess.)

bigmac
08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Why was the money when once you do it you find out just how easy it really is.
It's fine if you enjoy that kind of work. I've done enough fiberglass and epoxy work to know that I don't, and my time is more valuable to me than what it would cost me to buy the plates already glassed.

YMMV

CantRepeat
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
It's fine if you enjoy that kind of work. I've done enough fiberglass and epoxy work to know that I don't, and my time is more valuable to me than what it would cost me to buy the plates already glassed.

YMMV

I totally agree with the time factor. I've made changes based on my time, that's for sure. I just could not find anyone that something close to what I wanted. I was in the discover stage of my CF lifecycle then.

I do have some ideas for new stuff. I would really like to learn molds so I could make a new cover for my spark arrestor. I think that would be very cool but I still need to learn about epoxy and heat. I'm sure it can be done. After all, they make valve covers out of CF.

Who knows where this will lead and what I will come up with.

Swinkn
06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
The CF panels are smoooth. I wonder where I could get the labels for the buttons given that on my boat they are on the plastic panel. I have an 89 Tristar 190.

sprite
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I love the look!