PDA

View Full Version : engine rpm's go up before I get reverse

Gamble
08-02-2008, 11:21 AM
guys, I've had this problem for years-just never bothered to do anything about it, and if you take your time placing it in reverse, it'll grab and won't rev before it goes into reverse. If you just pull back on the throttle in a hurry, the rpms go up (not a bunch, but enough to where the tranny kinda slams into reverse). If you move the throttle slowly backwards, it'll grab and you can go about your business. This is a 83 s/s with the velvet drive 1.5/1 ratio. All works great. Forward doesn't do this, and it shifts fine if you take your time. I'm wondering if it's just a cable out of adjustment, and if so, how can I fix it without creating another problem?

Gamble
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
.......surely someone knows how to fix this......!

andyhoyt
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Try adjusting your shift linkage on the transmission a little further toward the reverse position. Be sure not to take it back too far where your nuetral safety switch will not allow the boat to start.

Skipper
08-03-2008, 09:39 AM
The shift lever assembly has a spring loaded, sliding connection for the throttle cable. This is designed to keep the throttle from engaging before the transmission shifts gears. If that were not functioning properly, then when you move the shift lever, then there would be equal movement between the throttle and shift cable; that means by the time your transmission shifts gears the rpms would be very high.

To test to determine if this is the problem, disconnect the shift cable at the transmission. While on the water with the engine running, manually move the shifter from neutral to reverse. If it shifts smoothly, then there is a problem in the shift linkage from this point forward.

If that is the case, you should suspect the shift assembly. It may just require some white lithium grease for lube, or the little square plastic piece may be damaged.

Gamble
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
cool, thanks a bunch guys. I've never messed with these pieces at all.. How hard is it to adjust it a little bit and how hard is it to disconnect it from the transmission. Also, where would I place the lithium grease-on the cable itself? It seems like it shifts fine into forward, smoothly....maybe it just needs to be adjusted a little bit.....just unsure how to do it as of now.

Gamble
08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Where is that little plastic piece you're referring to Bill?

Skipper
08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
The cable disconnects from the transmission easily. Usually a clip or pin needs to be removed, then the cable connector can come loose. Test the transmission first.

Making small adjustments to the shift cable are easy enough. The end of the cable is threaded. Just realize that your adjustments will effect forward as well as reverse.

The shifter itself is more difficult. Some boats you can get back there with the shifter mounted. Some - you can't. Usually at the front of the shifter is a metal bracket. Within that bracket is a groove or cutout. The plastic piece I am talking about is where your throttle cable is attached. That is what I was talking about putting the lithium grease onto. Also, check it for proper operation.