PDA

View Full Version : any where

loeweb
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Anyone recommend any good lake anywhere in the Midwest within 10 hours of Omaha. Sort of looking for a great ski lake to visit next summer for a week or so. Tired of Table Rock need some new scenery and just want to see if there is anything out there. Might like to get east of DesMoines but the family is open to any suggestions.

Doesn't have to be anything huge, but little traffic is great and good consistent water is also a plus.

basically here is your opportunity to pimp your favorite spot.

cbryan70
08-02-2008, 12:25 AM
think about this....if we tell you about the great spot it wouldnt not be great anymore.....
:-) jus saying

bigmac
08-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Anyone recommend any good lake anywhere in the Midwest within 10 hours of Omaha. Sort of looking for a great ski lake to visit next summer for a week or so. Tired of Table Rock need some new scenery and just want to see if there is anything out there. Might like to get east of DesMoines but the family is open to any suggestions.

Doesn't have to be anything huge, but little traffic is great and good consistent water is also a plus.

basically here is your opportunity to pimp your favorite spot.

There is always Okoboji or Spirit Lake - only 3 hours away. Tends to be a little be of a zoo though.

I will say that 10 hours would get you to many, many lakes in Minnesota. Turn north at Des Moines.

Roonie's
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
What are some of the lakes in Minnesota that people would recommend for a vacation spot? I only stick local around the twin cities and would like to venture farther for a long weekend cabin rental.

bigmac
08-02-2008, 01:07 PM
What are some of the lakes in Minnesota that people would recommend for a vacation spot? I only stick local around the twin cities and would like to venture farther for a long weekend cabin rental.The Brainerd Lakes area is about 2 hours north of you. The bigger lakes are very nice. My favorite resort lake would probably be Pelican Lake - there are a number of resorts there. Best known is probably Breezy Point. There are also lots of places on the Gull Lake chain - the best known resorts are Craguns and Maddens (if you golf, don't forget your clubs. Some of the finest golf courses in the midwest are around here too). Likewise Crosslake and the Whitefish chain. There are many, many smaller lakes that are also very nice, generally with less traffic and often with more smooth water. In my immediate area, I really like Ruttger's resort on Bay Lake just south of Deerwood. Within 50 miles of my house there are literally hundreds of ski-able lakes. I've never been on the vast majority of them, never even see most of them, except from the air.

I lived in Omaha all my life up until about 25 years ago. I'm familiar with the frustration a water sports enthusiast would have with the lack of good ski lakes. My buddies and I did take a lot of trips to Table Rock - stayed on the Long Creek arm. This was back in the days when Branson was NOTHING more than a gas station and a Holiday Inn. We also used to spend a lot of time on Okoboji. Minnesota is a whole different lake experience than Nebraska.

JimN
08-02-2008, 02:13 PM
"Turn north at Des Moines."

If they're on I-35, aren't they already going North?

bigmac
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
"Turn north at Des Moines."

If they're on I-35, aren't they already going North?They aren't on I-35. Des Moines is east of Omaha on Interstate 80.

JimN
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
That's what I get fer not remembering Omaha is pretty much straight West of DM. Kind of a fine point about DM not being on 35, since that's how I drove into the city, though. I get the idea.

bigmac
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
That's what I get fer not remembering Omaha is pretty much straight West of DM. Kind of a fine point about DM not being on 35, since that's how I drove into the city, though. I get the idea.

No...I meant Omaha isn't on I-35. Des Moines is.

JimN
08-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't know WHAT I was thinking. Must have thought KC instead of Omaha.

Jerseydave
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Not sure if it's within 10 hours, but LOTO is huge with lots of coves I've heard.

NU-skier
08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Black Hawk Lake in Lake View Iowa

http://www.lakeview-ia.com/gallery/

Most boaters in the area don't even know about this 950 acre clear water lake (the southern-most glacial lake in the United States).
Great for camping and the lake isn't used much at all during the week.

Only 2hrs (100 miles) from Omaha.

loeweb
08-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the responses thus far. Keep pimping

2000mcxstar
08-16-2008, 03:03 AM
well it will be a little further than most lakes already stated, but it is within your ten hour max, but I would recomend TableRock Lake in southern Missouri. Its a huge lake with tons of bays and coves. Personaly I Stay in Shell Knob and board in Big Bay (like a two minute drive from center of the city to the lake.) oh and they have a sick mastercraft dealership there too!

I have also heard that beaver lake is a good lake too. I have never been but have a bunch of Friends who go all the time and love it.

bbymgr
08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Rathbun Lake had lots of coves and fingers if the main lake was to busy.

bbymgr
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Just saw that Lake Freeman Indiana is within the 10 hour limit. I grew up skiing on this lake. There are 2 lakes in the town of Monticello. Lake Shafer is way to crowded, as it has the Indiana Beach Amusement Park on it. Lake Freeman is the "Locals" spot. If you have kids, the Amusement park is only 10 minutes away.