PDA

View Full Version : fuel filters

lanier92prostar
08-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Where is the small filter located on a 92 Indmar 351 with the 250 HP? I ordered the part and it does not look like it will fit where I thought it was located. I thought the smaller filter was located just before the carb where the fuel line comes into the carb. But the filter I got is too big for that location. Did someone send me the wrong part?

T-Rager
08-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Where is the small filter located on a 92 Indmar 351 with the 250 HP? I ordered the part and it does not look like it will fit where I thought it was located. I thought the smaller filter was located just before the carb where the fuel line comes into the carb. But the filter I got is too big for that location. Did someone send me the wrong part?

Without knowing what size and/or shape the filter that you received is, it is difficult to say for certain. However, I would think that it is a replacement for the filter in the base of your fuel pump.

lanier92prostar
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Thats what I thought. Is there a filter where the fuel line hooks into the carb? If so, I need that one also.

T-Rager
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Thats what I thought. Is there a filter where the fuel line hooks into the carb? If so, I need that one also.

No, there is not a filter there only a strainer. If necessary, the strainer can be cleaned by removing it and blowing it with compressed air. If the filters in the water separator and the fuel pump are at all effective, the strainer doesn't collect any debris.

lanier92prostar
08-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks. I have changed the water seperator before, but not the filter in the fuel pump. Is there a tutorial on that, or do you have some quick hints for me.

loeweb
08-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Take the bowl off the pump, and basically replace. Might be ready to catch some extra runoff gas though. Not a tough task at all.

boyd
08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Did it last week. The diameter is about the size of a quarter and about 2" long. It goes inside the fuel pump.
The other, that you thought it went in is the water/fuel seperator. There is a larger filter for that one.
The part you have probably cost $8.50.
Just unscrew the bottom screw and drop it down. Watch which way the filter comes out. One end has a larger opening than the other. My old gasket was stuck to the top of the filter and it took a minute to get the old one off.
Good luck
Do a good test w/ no passengers to make sure of no leaks.

east tx skier
08-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I posted a diagram last week with the location of both fuel filters and part numbers (assuming you have a filter element and a spin on fuel/water separator.

Here is the thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25241).

lanier92prostar
08-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Many thanks to all of you! I hope the 130 I spent on tuning it up helps the cutting out it has been doing. I want to get it running right in the next 3 weeks, by then the severly sprained ACL will be healed and I will be back on the water!