PDA

View Full Version : main breaker trips

Bert
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
A fellow I work with just got a 98 sportstar. 330 hrs on the clock. After about a 10 min cruise down the lake the main overload trips and after about a 10 min. cooldown will reset. Start it up and repeat. All connections appear to be tight and it has a new voltage regulator on the alternator. It was used in salt water and there is some corrosion on things. Any one got any suggestions on how to find the problem.
It's his first boat and he loves driving it but I think this engine cut out and waiting to reset could be dangerous under the right conditions (storm, wind etc.) so any help would be appreciated.

JimN
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Disconnect the battery cables and do a resistance check from the battery end to the starter (positive_ anad the block (negative). Remove the negative from the block and clean the ring terminal and stud before putting it on again. Do a thorough visual check of anything in the voltage path. Any corrosion on a cable, terminal or connector needs to be addressed. Look at the alternator and charging lead, making sure there's no resistance in the lead, from one end to the other.

learjet2230
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
could be a bad breaker. Seen it before! They do fail!

Bert
08-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Disconnect the battery cables and do a resistance check from the battery end to the starter (positive_ anad the block (negative). Remove the negative from the block and clean the ring terminal and stud before putting it on again. Do a thorough visual check of anything in the voltage path. Any corrosion on a cable, terminal or connector needs to be addressed. Look at the alternator and charging lead, making sure there's no resistance in the lead, from one end to the other.
Jim, will do.
I suspected bad connections in the charging circuit resulting in increased current from the high impedence connections so we checked the lead from the alternator and found it loose but still had the problem after correcting. We will check all the connections. What should we be seeing for a resistance measurment in the checks you describe ?

Thanks, Bert

Bert
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Update.
JimN, you are correct. resistance in charging lead. Poor connections at each temination point. Cleaned and tightned and the problem is no more.