PDA

View Full Version : Farmer Ted was right

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 12:01 AM
FT,

I took the plunge and got a Big Green Egg. I have had it for a week, and have done pulled pork, Seared Steaks at 750, and a pork loin stuffed with apple pie filling and wrapped in bacon. Some of the best food I have ever eaten. I haven't gotten to the pizza yet, but that is on my list of things to try. Have to give the egg a few DB's :banana: :banana: :banana:

MarkP
04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Alright MasterMason

We are going to need some photos of the next time you fire it up.

Oh, and maybe a menu..<Little smilie guy rubbing his tummy>

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Alright MasterMason

We are going to need some photos of the next time you fire it up.

Oh, and maybe a menu..<Little smilie guy rubbing his tummy>

Like this??

MarkP
04-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Like this??

Hu??:confused: ????

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Here it is pulled :banana:

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:17 AM
And the Roast and ABT's

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Hu??:confused: ????

Sorry pic was too big had to go back and resize

MarkP
04-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Yep! Just like that!! Looks like you got it down, :worthy: ...<Two Little smilie guys rubbing his tummy>

milkmania
04-25-2005, 02:40 AM
oh my gosh........

another food thread!!!!!

I can't take it anymore!!!!

<runs out of room screaming>

do you guys have any idea what food does to me:rant:

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 07:37 AM
looks great

MarkP
04-25-2005, 08:04 AM
oh my gosh........

another food thread!!!!!

I can't take it anymore!!!!

<runs out of room screaming>

do you guys have any idea what food does to me:rant:
Have anything to do with sustenance ?? Come on, give us a hint..

milkmania
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Have anything to do with sustenance ?? Come on, give us a hint..

hint:
5'11" @285lbs.

MarkP
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
hint:
5'11" @285lbs.
Dude,

Thatís awesome, :headbang: . BUT got any photos, ;) ..

I drop a few pounds in the summer when I become more active. You?

Leroy
04-25-2005, 10:57 AM
MasterChef! Looks great! Searing steaks at 750 :eek: you can almost melt steel at that temperature!

I'll be back in Nevada City next week! :D

Leroy
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
What the....I'm stuttering....

MasterChef! Looks great! Searing steaks at 750 :eek: you can almost melt steel at that temperature!

6ballsisall
04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Where do you get these grills? I am in the market for a new grill. Got any links?

dmac
04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Where do you get these grills? I am in the market for a new grill. Got any links?
Go to big Green Egg.com. Local dealers are identified. I cooked 2 pork tenderloins on mine last night and they were great. It is amazing when you can cook skinless/boneless chicken and is is tender and juicy. Regular grills turn those pieces into leather.

dmac
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Like this??
What are those cuts, pork roast? I think I can smell them.

bradamerry
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I have eaten a few things from Farmer's egg and they were all good!!!! :) It does hamburgers very well.

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
What are those cuts, pork roast? I think I can smell them.

The pic with the 2 roasts are pork butts, they are part of the shoulder. The one with the ABT's is a loin wrapped in bacon

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 12:20 PM

I bought mine from Americas Best BBQ http://www.americasbestbbq.com/biggreenegg-main.htm Was the cheapest I found in my neck of the woods, but took about 4 weeks to finally get it.

Here is another site with a bunch of info and links to other places. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramiclinks.htm

They are a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. You might be able to find better deals as your not as far from Atlanta as I am.

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Is that the weekend with the 8th or the 15th? Let me know and either bring your stick, or you can use mine or the board.

dmac
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
The pic with the 2 roasts are pork butts, they are part of the shoulder. The one with the ABT's is a loin wrapped in baconExcellent - I will probably do one this weekend. Burgers are excellent too. One on Saturday, one on Sunday. Looks like I'll have to drink a beer too.

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Excellent - I will probably do one this weekend. Burgers are excellent too. One on Saturday, one on Sunday. Looks like I'll have to drink a beer too.

Have you tried the ABT's yet?

dmac
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Have you tried the ABT's yet?
ABT? Not sure.

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
ABT? Not sure.

you take a jalapeno, cut off the stem, leaving the back end, cut it in half and remove the seeds and vains, (unless you like it hot), put some cream cheese and a little smokie, or some pulled pork in it, close it back up, and wrap it in bacon and smoke it. Make sure you roll them once in a while or they will burn. Very good appitizers.

dmac
04-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Definately not, me and jalapenos do not get along well enough for that.

Farmer Ted
04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
MasterMason

I'm glad you're happy with your Egg. It is a hard pill to swallow once you see the price, but it's easy to rationalize it when you look at how much money you'll save over the long run using lump charcoal......at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I haven't done ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turds?) yet, one day soon though.

Get one of those V-racks and try some baby backs, indirect with cherry wood, 250 for about 4~5 hours they're the shizzle!

dmac
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Get once of those V-racks and try some baby backs, indirect with cherry wood, 250 for about 4~5 hours they're the shizzle!Farmer - I have the V rack, how do you create the indirect effect? Cherry wood sounds good although my personal preference is mesquite. One of my local charcoal retailers also markets a cherry dry rub. Need to introduce it to the cherry smoke.

jayocheskey
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Nothing better than a meal cooked on the grill!!!

MasterMason
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Farmer - I have the V rack, how do you create the indirect effect? Cherry wood sounds good although my personal preference is mesquite. One of my local charcoal retailers also markets a cherry dry rub. Need to introduce it to the cherry smoke.

DMAC, You can do 2 things, put a pan under the v rack, or better yet, get the inverted platesetter. you can use it for indirects with the pan to catch the grease, or turn it over an use it to hold the pizza stone. Haven't tried pizza yet, but will be soon, and that was the discussion that got me interested in the egg in the first place.

dmac
04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
I do have a drip pan that I set the rack in, the pizza stone and platesetter are on the wish list.

BriEOD
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
hint:
5'11" @285lbs.

Dam Brian you either look like Arnold S. or really do like to eat!! I'm 5'10" and 180.

Farmer Ted
04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Farmer - I have the V rack, how do you create the indirect effect? Cherry wood sounds good although my personal preference is mesquite. One of my local charcoal retailers also markets a cherry dry rub. Need to introduce it to the cherry smoke.

Get the plate setter and turn it upside down so the legs are pointing up, set your grill on the legs, then the V-rack on the grill.

I don't care for Mesquite on anything except brisket and maybe steaks. If you get a good fire going with Mesquite it will pop and shoot sparks as soon as you open the lid.

I've my eyes on a pecan orchard for some rib wood....

Farmer Ted
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM
FT,

I took the plunge and got a Big Green Egg. I have had it for a week, and have done pulled pork, Seared Steaks at 750, and a pork loin stuffed with apple pie filling and wrapped in bacon. Some of the best food I have ever eaten. I haven't gotten to the pizza yet, but that is on my list of things to try. Have to give the egg a few DB's :banana: :banana: :banana:\

One thing to be careful with is when you're nuking steaks your firebox will probably crack.

They were supposed to be making a new one, and I think it would be an easy fix if they used some sort of rebar (chicken wire) when they poured the fire box in the mold. Don't worry, it's fine to use cracked and BGE will send you a replacement all you pay is shipping. Y

You might even be able to talk your dealer into getting one shipped with an order to reduce the shipping.

milkmania
04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Dam Brian you either look like Arnold S. or really do like to eat!! I'm 5'10" and 180.

I repeat......

I AM NOT waterski material:purplaugh

but, I can drive the boat!!!!!:steering:

couldn't spell Swartzeaneraneggger.....could you!:uglyhamme

http://www.cophers.com/CustomerGallery_other/Hammon,B.JPG

quincyfirefighter
04-25-2005, 10:59 PM
you take a jalapeno, cut off the stem, leaving the back end, cut it in half and remove the seeds and vains, (unless you like it hot), put some cream cheese and a little smokie, or some pulled pork in it, close it back up, and wrap it in bacon and smoke it. Make sure you roll them once in a while or they will burn. Very good appitizers.
OK Now I have a new appetizer for the guys at the station and for camp.Thanks Master they sound great. YA BABY :dance: Think maybe we should start a new thread on Best Camp or Home Hors d'oeuvre :cool:

milkmania
04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Nothing better than a meal cooked on the grill!!!

dude!!!!
you are so right!

we made $2241.00 last Saturday for the ball team fundraiser.
cooked donated McDonald's hamburger patties cooked outside on a smoker/grill.....
the manager from McDonald's said he's never tasted a better burger from McD's

quincyfirefighter
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Man don't worry about it. Everyone needs a good driver. :cool: Also I'm 6' 1" and 245, Fit test for work comming up in 5 weeks. :eek: need to drop about 20 pounds. It's been a long winter :rolleyes:

milkmania
04-25-2005, 11:20 PM
my oldest son is 6'5" and 285
it looks better on him:rant:

I graduated High School in 1984 @ 150 lbs. he graduated @ 265 lbs.
I used to get the weight off every summer, then add 10-15 lbs during the winter.
too many back injuries have made it much too difficult to get much exercise:(

when I went to my disability hearing, I was surprised that I'd been paying payroll taxes since I was 13 years old. working for a cattle auction.
used to feed cattle and haul hay for this old man to pay for my first motorcycle.

way too many injuries over the years, and with putting on more weight, it's not going to get any better:(

MasterMason,
my humblest apologies....seems I've helped derail your thread:purplaugh

quincyfirefighter
04-25-2005, 11:31 PM
my oldest son is 6'5" and 285
it looks better on him:rant:

I graduated High School in 1984 @ 150 lbs. he graduated @ 265 lbs.
I used to get the weight off every summer, then add 10-15 lbs during the winter.
too many back injuries have made it much too difficult to get much exercise:(

when I went to my disability hearing, I was surprised that I'd been paying payroll taxes since I was 13 years old. working for a cattle auction.
used to feed cattle and haul hay for this old man to pay for my first motorcycle.

way too many injuries over the years, and with putting on more weight, it's not going to get any better:(

MasterMason,
I know were ya comming from!!!! Your son must have been a great athelete in school. or is he in the big leagues

quincyfirefighter
04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Graduated high school mid-term 1980 6' 0" and 195 lbs. Man those were the days then fire camp for me :D

quincyfirefighter
04-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Mastermason, Sorry also for the derailment. Now back to Green Eggs & Ham. :headbang:

MasterMason
04-26-2005, 02:01 AM
MasterMason,

No worries... and I feel your pain, I was 6' and 165 from my sophmore year until I hit 30, then I just couldn't eat like I used to. Now I fight to keep myself fitting in the 36's. up and down from 220 to 200, just can't get below that 200 line

jimmer2880
04-26-2005, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=milkmania]I repeat......

I AM NOT waterski material:purplaugh

but, I can drive the boat!!!!!:steering:

couldn't spell Swartzeaneraneggger.....could you!:uglyhamme/QUOTE]

Dude - I have a bud who we compare to a turtle. He's kind of slow on land. But, when you put him in the water (rather, on a slalom stick) - he's wicked fast!

erkoehler
04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=milkmania]but, I can drive the boat!!!!!

I actually, don't hurt me for this, prefer to be behind the wheel than skiing. It isn't because I am not very good either, I just like to drive. it is fun for me.

BriEOD
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Well, you're not gonna get any better behind the wheel. Come on now, climb back up in the saddle.

MarkP
04-26-2005, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]

I actually, don't hurt me for this, prefer to be behind the wheel than skiing. It isn't because I am not very good either, I just like to drive. it is fun for me.
Sounds to me like, maybe, you should buy a boat:headbang:

Leroy
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
I think there are some people (drivers) I would like to have near me!

BriEOD
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Ahh, I see...you're camping out in the helm of someone else's ride. :noface:

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]

Hey - we all need good drivers. Youre always welcome in my boat.

tex
04-27-2005, 10:25 AM
just under 5-9 145 at h.s. graduation-193 now.
I love to drive but would rather ski!

BriEOD
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Dam Tex are you retaining water? :D

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Easy there, it's not easy living in Texas. There are a lot of cows in Ft. Worth that need to go to Bovine University, and it's up to us to give them a place to go when they graduate.