PDA

View Full Version : gas fumes under boat cover

milkmania
04-24-2005, 10:50 PM
I just recently noticed I'm getting fuel fumes under my boat cover...
checked for fuel leaks, and don't find any:confused:

anyone else notice fumes when first taking the cover off?

MarkP
04-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Not me. Is it over full with gas or have you recently changed filters?:confused: ?

milkmania
04-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Not me. Is it over full with gas or have you recently changed filters?:confused: ?

no to either one.

but it did remind me of something, my cover is "semi-custom" and now I realize I am drawing the cover down over the fuel tank's outside fuel vent..... doh!!!!!!

I will rearrange that tomorrow and see if it helps:toast:

lakes Rick
04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
no to either one.

but it did remind me of something, my cover is "semi-custom" and now I realize I am drawing the cover down over the fuel tank's outside fuel vent..... doh!!!!!!

I get the same thing and THINK it is like yours, covering the vent with the cover....

MarkP
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
no to either one.

Iíll bet that helps. Donít go climbing in that boat to sneak a smoke,:uglyhamme .

dmgroh
05-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Same problem when my boat was 10 years old. Seems salt water corroded the alum gas tank where it rested on the rubber straps. Leak was small enough not to puddle, but always had fumes. When I removed the tank, there were numerous pin-holes in the bottom of the tank where the rubber trapped the moisture. The rubber also kept the leaks from being noticed. You have a bomb waiting to go off. If you want to rule out the leaky tank, tap off or plug the vent (old-fashioned laundry drain plug from an old hardware store works on the vent).

If you still have fumes after plugging the vent, you have a leak. Start with loose fittings or leaking hoses, then work your way up to a tank removal.

In the meantime, be religious about running the bilge fan before starting, and I would hold open the engine cover for 30 seconds before starting. Don't shut the motor off for only 3 or 4 minutes...leave it running to avoid unnecessary starts until you get it fixed. Make sure your front air ducts are working, not crimped, and pushing fresh air into the bilge. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will sink to the bottom of the bilge. The starter motor is the source of spark down low in the bilge, not the motor running (unless you have electrical shorts in your wiring).

A fiberglass boat ain't pretty when it's on fire (after the initial explosion). I've yanked a few back to shore as a Cox'n for the USCG.

JimN
05-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Next time you remove the cover, lift the motor box and see if the smell is strongest near the motor. It could be gas dripping into the carb from movement or a leaky needle valve.