PDA

View Full Version : on the water photography

wakeX2wake
07-30-2008, 03:17 PM
ok so i'm really wanting to get some really sick riding shots and i would like to stay away from the "el cheapo" disposables as they don't ever really get us good results...

anyone have any experience and can give advice as to what i should look for in a digital camera... the one i get will have to be waterproof since we plan on doing some rider taken shots as well as shots from the tube while the rider does some stuff over the tuber...

any suggestions?... i'm worried if i go w/ a 60-70 cheap underwater digital say 5.0 MP (which i think the 5.0 MP will do it) but it's the capture speed i concerned with...

Monte
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
bigmac? skeeler?

IE bump

wakeX2wake
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
bigmac? skeeler?

IE bump

thanks for the bump... i'm really curious about how this should be done... i'm not really interested in buying a $300 underwater camera OR getting out there w/ my $300 regular digital

i'm not much on high end photography stuff just like something that i can throw up on here or print out the major stoke ones and slap on a bulletin board in the kitchen or garage

Scott
07-30-2008, 05:56 PM
i have a canon powershot 720is. the problem your going to have is catching the action shots. i have had alot of trouble catching action shots. i am actually looking at upgrading to a higher end camera. if your limiting your money, my style of camera is able to catch them but you will have to take numerous photos, just to get a couple of good ones..:D

stuartmcnair
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
you are out of luck unless you do one of three things:

1. Nix the waterproof part.

2. Nix the high quality part.

3. Nix the budget.

The waterproof part is the biggest issue. I would suggest buying an entry level DSLR from either Canon or Nikon (D60 at Sam's is a great buy) and then buying a cheapo waterproof point and shoot for rider shots. You really need a DSLR to capture the fast action shots and get the shot when you press the shutter button.

bigmac
07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
ok so i'm really wanting to get some really sick riding shots and i would like to stay away from the "el cheapo" disposables as they don't ever really get us good results...

anyone have any experience and can give advice as to what i should look for in a digital camera... the one i get will have to be waterproof since we plan on doing some rider taken shots as well as shots from the tube while the rider does some stuff over the tuber...

any suggestions?... i'm worried if i go w/ a 60-70 cheap underwater digital say 5.0 MP (which i think the 5.0 MP will do it) but it's the capture speed i concerned with...

You need a digital SLR with a lens that zooms to about 200 mm. Nikon D40 is a good, cost-effective entry into that world as is the Canon Rebel.

Forget the waterproof part. There are none that take will good shots from the boat. Sorry to tell you that $300 won't get you the shots you are envisioning.

edit: not surprisingly, Stuart and I are on the same page on this subject.

suedv
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
You need a digital SLR with a lens that zooms to about 200 mm. Nikon D40 is a good, cost-effective entry into that world as is the Canon Rebel.

Forget the waterproof part. There are none that take will good shots from the boat. Sorry to tell you that $300 won't get you the shots you are envisioning.

edit: not surprisingly, Stuart and I are on the same page on this subject.

Ditto to all those things. You will be happy with your pictures with an entry level digital SLR and a zoom lens (doesn't have to be a professional one). I took a lot of very nice pictures with my Rebel before moving up to the Canon 40D.

A few of my thoughts regarding cameras:

Digital point and shoot cameras have their place, but the ones I've looked at just don't have the speed capacity for consistently good action shots. It seems like it's luck to get a good picture. They frustrate me a lot.
I know you didn't ask this but it takes practice to learn to take good pictures. Take lots of pictures and get to know the features of your camera. Read on-line information about lighting and composition. A lot of getting good sport pictures is anticipating the movement of the athlete and setting yourself up to capture it. This is important no matter what kind of camera you have. I spend a lot of time analyzing my pictures and I work to build my skills.
A problem I have with most point and shoot cameras these days is they don't have viewfinders. It is hard to get a good shot holding a camera out in front of yourself and looking through a display. Sometimes the camera isn't steady and sometimes it is too bright to see the display very well.

I don't know if this is part of what you were looking for but I hope it helps.

mitch
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM

do some search on the board, there's been many discussions on this subj, good luck!

D3skier
07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
bigmac? skeeler?

IE bump

Gee thanks Monte...................

if you are looking for the really sick lake pictures I'd suggest a good SLR camera... I've got the Canon 30D with a 17-85 lens just make sure you get the polarizer filter to block the reflections from the water. Another one to add to this would be Suedv who looks like she's already replied as well. I also started out with the Rebel XT and loved it. I just haven't got up the nerve yet to take the camera out on the boat but I've taken some really great photo's from shore...
all of these photo's were taken with the Canon Rebel XT camera and a 75-300mm IS lens

Monte
07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
bigmac? skeeler?

IE bump

Dadgummit I forgot Sue:o.. She has mad photo taking skills;):cool:
Sorry Sue :o

Monte
07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Gee thanks Monte...................

See this is why I should take my own advice:o never mention names because you'll inevitably remember most everybody that you forgot to mention only later after you remember you forgot:rolleyes:

D3skier
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
See this is why I should take my own advice:o never mention names because you'll inevitably remember most everybody that you forgot to mention only later after you remember you forgot:rolleyes:

I just love picking on you that's all...........

bigmac
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
PM Maristar210 - he just recently posted some of the first pictures he took with the digital SLR that he just bought.

Here's one of the images of his son that he recently posted:

kgrove
07-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately I agree with most of the posts above. You can find some decent waterproof digital cameras for $250 plus/minus a bit, but all of them will have a noticeable shutter lag and much slower available shutter speeds than even the least expensive Nikon or Canon DSLR. I got the impression you already have a DSLR - if so, bring it with you and buy a dry bag for when it is not in your hands... and be careful when you do have it in your hands. A bit of spray is unlikely to hurt them, just don't soak them. Point and shoot cameras are just flat out not capable of taking good action shots like some of the ones posted in this thread.

brucemac
07-31-2008, 02:57 AM
and don't skimp on the polarizer filter...you'll just be wasting money.

coz
07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Try this guy WX2W :D I'm an olympus user and I have bought stuff from this guy on a few occasions (cameras & accs.) Get a good camera then buy the waterproof housing for it.

Click here http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions_Underwater-Housings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ19QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Looking foward to seeing them pics :D

wakeX2wake
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
i'm not so much worried about the water proof part from the pictures from the boat part... i've got a pretty decent cannon SLR (i'm thinking it's pretty comparable to a Rebel T2)... and i've also got a Powershot S5?... iiiii can't remember the names and models of the cameras (i can tell you the exact size and model of each of my friends' board setups...)

we're kind of burned out on boat riding shots b/c while we've really gotten some great shots we've found it to be much like Sue said... hit and miss at times which i'm sure will get better with some practice (it's really frustrating when you're wanting a shot of a certain shot and you huck it huge and let it all hang out for the camera and they miss it too... there's safe raleys and there's those that will all but kill you if you don't get it down) ... we're wanting to put a tube behind the boat and catch some shots of the rider from the water... either from the guy in the tube or from another rider (it's really something to be standing in the trough of the opposite wake and watching a guy throw a raley or raley based trick over you... i'm 6'3'' standing on flat ground so i'm guessing i'm about 6'6''-6'7'' on the water and he cleared me by a MILE)... we're looking to hopefully find some method of getting the close ups by actually being close (i've seen some done and they're awesome...but the ones i saw were done w/ a disposable waterproof)

coz
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
i'm not so much worried about the water proof part from the pictures from the boat part... i've got a pretty decent cannon SLR (i'm thinking it's pretty comparable to a Rebel T2)... and i've also got a Powershot S5?... iiiii can't remember the names and models of the cameras (i can tell you the exact size and model of each of my friends' board setups...)

we're kind of burned out on boat riding shots b/c while we've really gotten some great shots we've found it to be much like Sue said... hit and miss at times which i'm sure will get better with some practice (it's really frustrating when you're wanting a shot of a certain shot and you huck it huge and let it all hang out for the camera and they miss it too... there's safe raleys and there's those that will all but kill you if you don't get it down) ... we're wanting to put a tube behind the boat and catch some shots of the rider from the water... either from the guy in the tube or from another rider (it's really something to be standing in the trough of the opposite wake and watching a guy throw a raley or raley based trick over you... i'm 6'3'' standing on flat ground so i'm guessing i'm about 6'6''-6'7'' on the water and he cleared me by a MILE)... we're looking to hopefully find some method of getting the close ups by actually being close (i've seen some done and they're awesome...but the ones i saw were done w/ a disposable waterproof)

That's my problem :confused: your out there telling the photog "OK GET THIS ONE" then all it looks like is a jump or just launching :confused: my cam is set up for quick action shots but it's getting the pic taker to wait a little before snapping :D

I like the tube shot idea and see it alot on fuel tv I think were gonna give it a go too :D Good luck

3event
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Ditto on above comments. I have a Rebel XT, std kit lens 17-85, 50mm F1.8, and a 70-200 F4L. The 70-200 is the perfect lens for watersports. Very happy with it.

As far as the wet part, I will be carrying a point and shoot with me behind the boat this weekend, trying to get some shots from behind the rope. SHould be interesting. I will use one of these:
http://www.semsons.com/muwaca.html

I dunked it, and proved it was waterproof and could take passable shots thru the bag (camera is a Canon SD700IS). It's a low cost attempt, unless I fall and bust the camera. I plan to tie the bag to my vest with it's safety strap.

I'll post the results, good or bad.....

Roonie's
07-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Forget what everyone else has said up to this point. Take your camera you have already and apply this stuff to make it waterproof. This is the coolest idea I have seen in a long time. Watch the video!!! Available soon.

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/gcaptain-exclusive-shellbacked-ipod-touch-video/

ProTour X9
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow........................

bigmac
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Forget what everyone else has said up to this point. Take your camera you have already and apply this stuff to make it waterproof. This is the coolest idea I have seen in a long time. Watch the video!!! Available soon.

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/gcaptain-exclusive-shellbacked-ipod-touch-video/

I'm skeptical of the effect the coating will have on the optics of the camera. Likewise the feasibility on a camera with a removable lens. Certainly VERY few digital SLR users would ever rely on this coating as the only thing standing between the lake and the total destruction of their $600 - $5000 camera.

There are waterproof point-and-shoots out there that would work fine for on-the-water or in-the-water shots, but the overall limiting factor is the quality of the camera. The lenses, image sensors, autofocus mechanisms etc of the best point-and-shoots are simply rudimentary compared to the simplest digital SLR. It's the same old question "do you want convenience, or do you want good photographs"? If you're looking for just snapsots, get a water-resistant Olympus p/s, or get a regular Olympus

The ultimate solution is an underwater housing for the digital SLR. That's how they get those water-level action shots you see - usually a photographer with a dSLR and strobe in a housing, on a tube being pulled with the skier/boarder. Those underwater housings, such as from Ikelite, are expensive, though. They make one for the Nikon D40 - it's $1400.

http://www.ikelite.com/digicams/nik_d40frontflat.jpg

stuartmcnair
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
new camera from Pentax might work for you...

http://www.h20camera.com/camera/w60

wakeX2wake
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
not too bad... might have to check into something like that... just $330... i'm spending sooo much money of this crap this year... BBAAAAAAAahhhhh well so goes life...

i think analysts would classify me as economic stimulus

skeeler
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM
If you can swing it, go for the digital SLR. You need to be able to adjust the shutter speed to accomidate the action, or at least have the ability to have the camera do it for you on auto mode. Most digital SLR's right out of the box, set on auto, can make you look like a seasoned pro, but then has the other settings in manual to hone your skills.
As far as water protection, I went without for a year and then decided to spend the money and it was well worth it. If you are just looking for splash/water proof protection, not so much as massive dewater depth like scuba diving. I would go with one from here, http://www.ewa-marine.com/.
Got mine from B&H for about $299.99, worth every penny.

bigmac
08-09-2008, 08:30 PM
This thread got me thinking, so I checked around and found a waterproof housing for my point-and-shoot Canon SD630. I am very impressed with the quality of this Canon housing. All of the controls are completely usable. It's a very well designed unit.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EFD143HML._SS500_.jpg

http://mccollister.info/boat/BIW.jpg

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Agreed on separating the 2.

DSLR with (at least) 200mm lens for from the boat pics. We recently got a Nikon D60...and love it so far.

Pic 1 (Nikon) gives you an idea but is not totally in focus nor fully zoomed at 200mm.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/paulbro/HB2K8/DSC_0274.jpg

Pic 2 (Nikon) is more in focus and fully zoomed using 200mm lens @ 70' of rope from tower tow point.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/paulbro/HB2K8/DSC_0442.jpg

Pic 3 & 4(Olympus 770SW...waterproof, freeze proof, shock proof, etc...) allows us to take the 'from the water' (shinanigan) pictures.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/paulbro/HB2K8/P8040025.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/paulbro/HB2K7/7_Meperformingawakeupcall.jpg

The reduction of the software I used and the site are somewhat degrading the picture quality of each picture...