PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Battery Should I Get

watkins27
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Battery died this weekend,had a deep cycle in it from previous owner.Now someone said to put a car battery in it because it didn't need a deep cycle.Which do i get ? Thanks for the help in advance

BriEOD
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Optima blue top--end of discussion...period.

TMCNo1
07-30-2008, 05:06 PM
I replace ours this spring with a 900 cca starting battery from Advance Auto for $90 with a 3 year full replacement warranty and prorated for 84 months.

east tx skier
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
On my current boat, due to the size of the enclosed battery box, I needed a group 34M battery and the blue top fit the bill. If size weren't an issue, I'd have gotten another Delco Marine Battery. That thing was as reliable as I've ever had in any vehicle and reasonably priced.

trickskier
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I replace ours this spring with a 900 cca starting battery from Advance Auto for $90 with a 3 year full replacement warranty and prorated for 84 months.

Didn't the last one last for 10 years??? :rolleyes:

Sodar
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Yeah, he bought in on April 15th, 1998 at 5:23pm and it offered him 72.3 hours run time on the boat. It was purchased from Battery Barn in Sitton, North Carolina from a sales associate named Frank. Harold has used a battery tender on it and he feels any battery can last as long as his did with the proper care. :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Did I miss anything, Harold!?!?!?!?!? :D

bigmac
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Battery died this weekend,had a deep cycle in it from previous owner.Now someone said to put a car battery in it because it didn't need a deep cycle.Which do i get ? Thanks for the help in advanceIt doesn't need to be a car battery - should be a marine battery. If you run a lot of electrical stuff like stereo, etc without the engine running, get a deep cycle battery. Optima Blue is spendy, but an OK battery. If you don't anchor the boat and listen to tunes, the Optima Blue is way overkill and a waste of money. What you want in that case is a plain old marine cranking battery with at least 750 marine cranking amps.

ChrisG
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Can someone explain the advantages of using a Blue Top versus a marine battery from Napa? Is it really worth the $200+ price tag?

TMCNo1
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Just a week short of 8 years IIRC! It was a 36mo/72mo battery and the 3 full replacemenrt warranty ran out 4-24-03, cause I dated a strip of tape on the top of the case.
They don't last any better than that!

bigmac
07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Can someone explain the advantages of using a Blue Top versus a marine battery from Napa? Is it really worth the $200+ price tag?
If you don't use a lot of high drain electronics with the engine off, it's likely far more money than you need to spend. If your battery's main job is to start the boat, $70 for a 750 MCA battery is the best bang-for-buck.

east tx skier
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
If you don't use a lot of high drain electronics with the engine off, it's likely far more money than you need to spend. If your battery's main job is to start the boat, $70 for a 750 MCA battery is the best bang-for-buck.

That is unless you got your blue top for $99 delivered on ebay. Still more than I wanted to spend, but that darned battery box of mine is small.

bigmac
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
That is unless you got your blue top for $99 delivered on ebay. Still more than I wanted to spend, but that darned battery box of mine is small.

For $99 delivered, I'd get an Optima Blue.

east tx skier
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I held my breath the first time I turned the key, but all I can say is I got lucky and got a brand new one on ebay for that. Gained a fair amount of storage as a result.

jimmer2880
07-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Optima blue top--end of discussion...period.

Ditto. A couple years ago, my auto batteries were only lasting 1 season before they would loose a cell. Went with the blue-top (which, is not necessarily a deep cycle battery - they make 2 different blue-tops). Been a great battery so far.

bigmac
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
I would switch too if I were only getting 1 season out of a battery.

Thrall
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't reccomend a Red Top Optima. I don't have alot of electronics to run, bought a Red Top 5yrs ago. Got 2 full seasons, battery dead and wouldn't take a charge int he spring. Got a repalcement (free, 3yr warranty), last 2 years, dead in the spring, wouldn't charge up. Got another new one (free again) this spring.
Optima's been good with warranty for sure, so I guess as long as they only last 2 yrs and not 3, I guess my battery will last forever!:D

bigmac
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeh. Optimas are good batteries, but they're not magic. Sulfation from low charge state kills any battery. Keep 'em charged (invest in a good battery maintainer) and they'll last a long time, whether they cost $70 or $200.