PDA

View Full Version : 01 prostar 190 running like crud

tappskier
04-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone. I'am new to the site and after having an 86 prostar several years ago, and owning a Brendella and a Malibu in between I have came back to Mastercraft. I have a 2001 prostar 190 with the 330 hp northstar motor in it, 180 hours.. I have had the boat about a month and use it weekly at a private ski lake nearby.. This morning it started missing and sputtering and even a couple of pops. It got progressively worse as the morning went on till we couldn't even ski behind it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?? I stopped for fuel on the way home and put in some fuel system conditioner and some gas dryer. I'm going to change the plugs and look for the fuel filter,,does anyone know where the filter is or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?????? thank you

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the board, sorry to hear about your problems. :(

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh, by the way there are many people that are familiar w/ the MC boats on this site. They surely will be able to get you back on the water.

JimN, here is another one for ya :worthy:

6ballsisall
04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone. I'am new to the site and after having an 86 prostar several years ago, and owning a Brendella and a Malibu in between I have came back to Mastercraft. I have a 2001 prostar 190 with the 330 hp northstar motor in it, 180 hours.. I have had the boat about a month and use it weekly at a private ski lake nearby.. This morning it started missing and sputtering and even a couple of pops. It got progressively worse as the morning went on till we couldn't even ski behind it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?? I stopped for fuel on the way home and put in some fuel system conditioner and some gas dryer. I'm going to change the plugs and look for the fuel filter,,does anyone know where the filter is or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?????? thank you

Welcome to the site and welcome back to MC!!

Sounds to me like you are on the right track with the fuel filter approach. Not sure where it is on your boat but I am sure someone on here will.
Welcome aboard!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Along with the regular fuel filter, you should have a water seperator between the tank and engine. If you can locate it, I'd suggest opening the valve on the bottom to check/drain water that might be present. Sorry I can't be more specific.....my boat is a bit older and I'm sure location of the filters will be different on your boat.

tappskier
04-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys, but I have looked all over and cant find any filters or a seperator, I'm sure they are there somewhere ?? Could they be in the tank??

G-man
04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't think the newer boat have the H2O sep filters like the old ones.

east tx skier
04-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Welcome.

I believe they got rid of the spin-on fuel/water seperators in the mid 90s (approx 1995). Don't forget to clean the flame arrestor, too.

Which year was it that the kill switch had serious issues. I don't know if that would causes sputtering, or if it would just die and not restart. Just thinking outloud.

Ric
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys, but I have looked all over and cant find any filters or a seperator, I'm sure they are there somewhere ?? Could they be in the tank??
Welcome
there are some mechanics on here that will help you
I had that same setup and the filter is in the tank. I don't remember any problems as you describe so I cannot help you there.

jimmer2880
04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
A buddy of mine had this happen to his boat. Ended up being (of all things) a cracked spark plug. I about fell over when the dealership finally figured it out.Remember - check the simple things first.

tappskier
04-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know how to get the filter out of the tank??

6ballsisall
04-26-2005, 09:44 PM

A match with about 10 gallons of gas in the tank :D :D

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 09:55 PM
B O O M :popcorn:

tappskier
04-26-2005, 10:15 PM
A couple of funny boys,,, lots of help

MarkP
04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I don’t know if you have a “filter” in your tank, if not I would think at least you would have a screen to stop anything big from entering your fuel system. I don’t have that year boat but in order to get to my tank screen I need to remove the fuel sending unit at the top of my tank. I would think you would do the same.

We do have a handful of good mechanics on the board and am sure they will stumble across this thread and be more helpful.

Hey, welcome aboard.

Larryp
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Did the check check engine light come on. Scan the the codes and find out if it is fuel or spark related. It sounds spark related, fuel is usually on or off

kskib046
04-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Does the engine run like poo at all RPMS? Only at iddle, only at high speeds, both? If it only happens at high speeds the engine may be starving for gas.

Plugs/gapped correctly, cracked plug wires/loose boot, Plugged flame arrestor, bad/water/old/diseal gas. I think someone mentioned siphoning gas out of the tank into clean containers to check for dirt.

tappskier
04-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Boat seems to idle fine, but wont excelerate. I found the filter in the tank and will change out tommorrow

MarkP
04-27-2005, 12:31 AM
How do you access that filter?

tappskier
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
The filter is on the bottom of the unit in the tank,,, it didnt look dirty.

Ric
04-27-2005, 11:30 AM
just now found your post. Did you get it open and take a look?
Replace it even if it looks good

Ric
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
If memory serves, there are several screws around the flange at the top of the tank
disconnect the battery, take out the carpeted panels in the trunk, unscrew all of the screws(you may have to take the tank mount straps loose to move it over enough to get to a few of the screws in the flange).
I think I had to take the fuel lines off the flange to get it out of the tank but maybe not. it was pretty easy once I convinced myself to work around a gas tank. Don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. ;)
It's such a PITA, that you should get a filter and put it in when you do this no matter what the filter looks like. I honestly don't think the filter change made my boat run any better or worse but I felt I should do it.

tappskier
05-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Changed out the fuel filter,, runs like a top,,,, thanks for your replies