PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 Fly high ballast install

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
I did the quick and easy version of how to install the custom fly high ballast rear sacs and the integrated bow sack. The Fly High ballast added a total of #1525 pounds +. The rear are #400+ each and the bow is #725+. So total ballast now with factory and Fly High kits is #2363+ (Factory is 225# each for port and starboard and 388# for KGB).

It was really easy install and took an hour and half probably to complete from start to finish. Use a hair dryer to heat the tubing to fit on the connectors or it is near impossible to get them on. I used all quick disconnect from Fly High so I can easily take the system out if needed and for winterization.

Also I re-programmed my ballast timers which I will include at the end.

Parts list for the rear;
2 custom X2 fly high rear sacs
2 90 degree angle 1" threaded one side and other side to accept 1" hose
2 straight quick disconnect fitting from Fly high with nipple inserts for the bags
2 90 degree quick disconnect fittings from Fly High with nipple inserts for the bags
6 1" stainless hose clamps
2 3' sections of 1" hose

Parts list for the bow;
1 Fly high integrated bow sac (comes with nipple plug for third hole in sac)
1 90 degree angle 1" threaded 1 side and other side to accept 1" hose
2 straight quick disconnect fittings from fly high with nipple inserts for the bags
3 1" stainless hose clamps
1 5' section of 1" hose

Locate the rear overflow hose coming off the ballast tanks which can be found underneath the rear seats shown in pic.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/rearballast1.jpg

Unscrew clamp and take off hose. Next take out the existing black straight fitting with a wrench.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/rearballast2.jpg

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Next screw in the 90 degree angle and use teflon tape. and add the new piece of hose onto it with clamp.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/rearballast3.jpg

Then hook the new piece of hose onto the bottom inlet in the fly high sac as it will now serve as the filler and the old overflow tube then gets a quick connect put on it and serves as the new overflow for the whole system.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/rearballast4.jpg

Push the bag back into the rear compartment and make sure lines are straight and not kinked and that is it for the rear ballast install........ As I said I did the super easy install way as some have done much more elaborate installs.

Sodar
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/rearballast3.jpg

Might be better off going back to the straight barbed fitting, rather than the 90... hose looks a little kinked.

Looks clean and easy though!

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
The integrated bow sack is a little more involved but still fairly eay to do. First locate the overflow off the KGB found in the pic below.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/bow1.jpg

Unscrew clamp and disconnect overflow hose. This hose will be pulled through the instrument panel and serve as the overflow for the bow ballast. I took out the straight black fitting going to the ballast tank and replaced it with a 90 as my new hose fit right over it without effort and I wanted a snug fit. Here is the same view with the new 90 and hose attached.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/bow2.jpg

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Next you have to push the hose underneath the gap into the storage compartment under the dash.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/bow3.jpg

And install the bow ballast and quick disconnects and hook up the supply line to it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/bow4.jpg

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
On the other side you can now pull the overflow hose through into the compartment under the drivers dash. The hardest part here is getting out the access panel. I left the length on it so I can switch it back to regular ballast if I need to take out the fly high. Hook the quick disconnects up and install on bag.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/bow5.jpg

Put the access panel back and it will clear the hose at the bottom no problem.

That is it for the install. Now for the re-programming of the timers..........

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Might be better off going back to the straight barbed fitting, rather than the 90... hose looks a little kinked.

Looks clean and easy though!

It is kinked because the bag is pushed forward into the seat compartment to do all the connections. Once connections done you push bag back into rear compartment and kinks go away.

Roonie's
07-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Fill-drain time set up (reprogramming the pump)

disconnect all batteries from main boat connections for at least 30 seconds. Disconnect plug between pump and active Intelligence box until prgramming is complete. Reconnect power from battery and immediately start toggling switch to enter program mode.

Push toggle to the fill position and toggle between fill and drain 5 times stopping in the off position each time (fill-off-drain-off-fill-off, etc). Do not rush. This should be done in a slow methodical 1 second at each postion pace. Unit will blink when you have entered program mode and the number of blinks will indicate the current fill time in 30 second intervals. The lowest default time is 2 minutes. Therefore 1 blink = 2 minutes, 2 blinks = 2 min 30 sec, 3 blinks = 3 min, etc.

To increase fill time - toggle between off and the fill position, each toggle increases the fill time by 30 seconds up to 6 minutes maximum.

To decrease fill time - toggle between off and drain position, each toggle decreases by 30 seconds.

Increments are 30 seconds (approx. 3.5 gallons per toggle) with minimum fill time of 2 minutes and maximum of 6 minutes. Also the pumps fill at approx 10 GPM.

Reconnect power to pump and run pump in drain cycle until pump stops automatically. This must be done to reset unit timer to zero after programming.

ttu
07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
roonie, very nice setup.:D

when are you going to be down my way so we can get this done in under a hour.:rolleyes:

TheOneandOnly
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Roonie you should have used the 90 degree high fly inserts for the top of the back bags they work awesome while removing strain from the overflow inlet vs using the straight.

Another note make sure the hose going to the KGB isnt piched by the side wall, I have herd of MC having some issues with a few KGB tanks exploding from a pinched hose (they will not warranty which is common sense but if it happened it wouldnt be able to be replaced without removing the deck, better safe than sorry). There is a kick panel right around the area held down by 4 screws, we removed it and routed out a half moon with a jijsaw worked perfect and will not allow pinching to occur.

Congrads-how do you like it? The wake for surfing is killer with one bag filled and trim plate set to 53% we noticed.

Roonie's
07-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. I can still change out the quick connects to the 90 degrees one since I still have to install the left rear bag (They ran out of stock but should have it this week). Good tip on the pinched hose. It felt like it had room but it was for sure a tight fit. I will probably do the same and cut a little u-shaped piece out of the kick panel.

I am also getting the wake surf sac (another 700#) for the left side which will be filled manually with the pump so the wake should be unbelievable as I will have about 2438 #'s just on the left side and KGB/bow. That should be plenty of wake for surfing.

wakeX2wake
07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
hey man the install looks super clean... can't wait to post my own "how i did it and you should too" pics

djhuff
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Very similar to how I did mine, except I did not replace the fittings on the overflow from the tank. the line just runs straight up out of the factory tank. No problems filling or emptying since there is a good vacuum created. Didn't do the front sac though, just have some lead up there.

How is the wake with that much in the bow? I've only got 360# extra in the bow and my wake has a very nice lip at the top, would think that more in the bow would cause it to mellow out some.

Roonie's
07-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Have yet to test it out on water. I will post some pics when I do..... hopefully this weekend. I have heard you don't need to fill the whole bow sac just halfway for decent wake for boarding. I have most the weight mainly for surfing.

I replaced the overflow fittings just so I had a decent connection as the old fittings had shrunk due to being clamped down upon. I could literally slide the new hose right on over the old fittings without any force. Then I would only be relying on the hose clamps to keep them on and that worried me some. The new fittings were a pain all the way around. Getting the hose on was difficult as I used a lot of heat and some soap at times but I swear they are watertight even without the clamps.

turbosdad
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Great help for me!!!! I am picking up the same sacks tomorrow. Couple of questions, 1. what is the factory set time on the ballast pumps? Would that also be the same for the 08? Did you get the threaded ninetys from fly high? Where did you get the 1" hose? I was looking at a local marine store and they have a white 1" PVC pipe...any idea if that would work or should I get the black???

Thanks in advance

SteveO
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the tips. I can still change out the quick connects to the 90 degrees one since I still have to install the left rear bag (They ran out of stock but should have it this week). Good tip on the pinched hose. It felt like it had room but it was for sure a tight fit. I will probably do the same and cut a little u-shaped piece out of the kick panel.

I am also getting the wake surf sac (another 700#) for the left side which will be filled manually with the pump so the wake should be unbelievable as I will have about 2438 #'s just on the left side and KGB/bow. That should be plenty of wake for surfing.

Nice install! Save your money on the surf sac. My friends can't get over how good my surf wake is with the KBG and front fly high sac and port tank and fly high sac filled. I drain everything starboard and it is SWEET!

ttu
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Nice install! Save your money on the surf sac. My friends can't get over how good my surf wake is with the KBG and front fly high sac and port tank and fly high sac filled. I drain everything starboard and it is SWEET!

steve, you have a pic of that.

Roonie's
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Great help for me!!!! I am picking up the same sacks tomorrow. Couple of questions, 1. what is the factory set time on the ballast pumps? Would that also be the same for the 08? Did you get the threaded ninetys from fly high? Where did you get the 1" hose? I was looking at a local marine store and they have a white 1" PVC pipe...any idea if that would work or should I get the black???

Thanks in advance

I know it always helps me when I see pics to follow as I usually don't know what I am doing most of the time.

I do not know the factory set time on the ballast pumps but I set mine for the full 6 minutes and will scale it back if needed. I do believe for 08 the pumps can be set for longer.... I am not positive on that however as it was a passing comment made by my dealer. I got all my supplies from my local MC dealer as I called ahead and ordered everything prior and they also stock most of it anyways. Not sure about the white PVC but I think it will work as I have seen one other post using it before. The main thing to look for is 1" bilge hose is what they call it. I do believe it comes in different colors.

Roonie's
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the tip. I think I will wait to pick up the surf sac and try it first. I got a new board last night (IS blue lake) so I am really stoked about surfing it. Unfortunately my wife is leaving out of town for two weeks and I need a babysitter and some friends now before I can try it out.

djhuff
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
You can get the hose at any Lowes or Home Depot. It'll be white though, it's called Hot Tub hose. It's exactly the same thing, just white.

turbosdad
08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Roonie, did you PVC glue the male fittings into the bags. The guy at Fly High said I could do that???????

ttu
08-04-2008, 09:48 AM
ronnie, did you get a chance to use the new system?

Roonie's
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
ronnie, did you get a chance to use the new system?

No unfortunately....... My wife is out of town for two weeks and it would be nearly impossible to go with two young kids (ages 4, 5) by myself to a busy boat ramp. I even got a new IS blue lake to test out too. I have cabin fever wanting to try it out!! Hopefully soon..... Thought about going during the week when not busy.

turbosdad
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Roonie, couple of questions. Did you glue the fittings into the sacs? And was the stock overflow pipe long enough to move it to the sac overflow?

Thanks

Roonie's
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I did not glue the fittings into the sacs. Just used teflon tape for the threads as they are all threaded inserts. The stock overflow was more than long enough. On the rear sacs it was perfect or a little long. On the front sac I could have cut off probably 1' 1/2 and still have plenty to work with. I did not cut off any in case I ever return the system back to normal state without the fly high kit installed. When I go to winterize it however the front overflow tube is rolled up due to being so long so will have to make sure all water is out of it.

kgrove
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Any chance you can post "after" pictures of the sacs when they are full? I'm curious how much storage, if any, you have left when in use. Which sac was that you put in the front?

Roonie's
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Sure about the pics, have to take some first.... The bow sac was the Fly High Pro X Series Integrated bow sac.

I still have all the storage under the dash and under the other seating areas except the bow. I will rarely use the starboard rear bag so that compartment is full of stuff.

KnoxX2
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Roonie....
Did you use a Y for the bow sac? The dealer set mine up this way so it will fill both sides of the bow sac. He used the front fill/drain port to do the over flow.

KnoxX2
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
BTW sweet install.....

One thing I have noticed is the Glue is a good idea! I have had the conection come off the rear port sac 2 times from the fitting backing out.

Roonie's
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Roonie....
Did you use a Y for the bow sac? The dealer set mine up this way so it will fill both sides of the bow sac. He used the front fill/drain port to do the over flow.

No but after looking at the whole system that sounds like a better install. Right now I have the inflow going in one side and the overflow out the other end. I have a plug in the top port right now. It would make sense to make the top port the overflow as that is the highest point on the bow sac. Great idea and may need to change my current set up. There is plenty of hose to make it to the top of the bag for the overflow as I coiled the extra behind the drivers console. I think I will get the parts for that today as I am heading for the dealer anyways.

kgrove
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm curious why you think you'll rarely use the rear sacs... most people seem to put sacs in the rear and ignore the front.

KnoxX2
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
No but after looking at the whole system that sounds like a better install. Right now I have the inflow going in one side and the overflow out the other end. I have a plug in the top port right now. It would make sense to make the top port the overflow as that is the highest point on the bow sac. Great idea and may need to change my current set up. There is plenty of hose to make it to the top of the bag for the overflow as I coiled the extra behind the drivers console. I think I will get the parts for that today as I am heading for the dealer anyways.

Only one thing ..............

When my bow sac is full the overflow will push the front seat up because of the fitting being on top. So I don't fill the bow sac all the way up. When I fill the front I pull the seat up so I can see how high it is getting.

Roonie's
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm curious why you think you'll rarely use the rear sacs... most people seem to put sacs in the rear and ignore the front.

I will use the port rear sac all the time just not starboard. Mainly for surfing. I will use both occassionally for boarding.

turbosdad
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
BTW sweet install.....

One thing I have noticed is the Glue is a good idea! I have had the conection come off the rear port sac 2 times from the fitting backing out.

I glued the male threads into the female threads of the fat sac....is that what you were referring to?? I hope the slip fittings are not coming off???? let me know.

TheOneandOnly
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
This install works awesome we rode with it full and 8 people the wake was awesome for wakeboarding the MCX seemed a little slow to get up but thats to be expected-couldnt imagine a smaller engine.

I will have to try the filling of the KGB and port for surfing. We currently had just port and 5 people in the corner the wake was aweesome it was about 4-5 feet. I also was finally able to ride without the rope-while drinking a beer-- yeahhhh :)

TheOneandOnly
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I glued the male threads into the female threads of the fat sac....is that what you were referring to?? I hope the slip fittings are not coming off???? let me know.

are you talking about the quick connect fittings? I personally wouldnt do so if your planning to take the bags out for winterization, you will have to spin the bag to get the male nipple tread out of the bag

Roonie's
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
fyi.... when I installed the system they were out of the starboard bag kit. They got it in finally and there is some changes. Mainly they pre-glue the threaded part of the quick dis-connect fitting into the bag from the factory now.

TheOneandOnly
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
fyi.... when I installed the system they were out of the starboard bag kit. They got it in finally and there is some changes. Mainly they pre-glue the threaded part of the quick dis-connect fitting into the bag from the factory now.

intresting, i guess they want to make sure you buy their fittings...

Willytown
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
lets see some pictures of these wakes!

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
roonie... i'll trade you a LED install for a ballast install... Mn to Al might be a trip but it looks like some good work you got done there

ttu
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
roonie... i'll trade you a LED install for a ballast install... Mn to Al might be a trip but it looks like some good work you got done there

and after you get done in alabama, you can just slip right on over to tulsa and help me install mine and i can show you the stargazer install.:D

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
and after you get done in alabama, you can just slip right on over to tulsa and help me install mine and i can show you the stargazer install.:D

hey if the installer is buying the buying the equipment... what color do you want?8p

Roonie's
08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok finally got it out on the water to do a water test. System worked great. With the reset timers it will fill the bag full and shut off right before it starts going out the overflow and runs the full 6 minutes. Everything empties just fine. I did not get to fill the bow bag due to operator error. Seems I forgot to plug two holes in the bow bag with the threaded plugs. I missed those holes for some reason. Luckily I found out early when the water started pouring into the bilge. Even dumber on my part when I got home I realized I had the threaded plugs with me in the glove box the whole time.. Oh well I will test it this weekend again.

Here are some pics....

Port bag full or at least as full as the timers will let me which is 90-95% full. Also interesting to note that there is probably a good foot or more on top of those bags for storage still.... at least a couple of life jackets. The metal arm is the integrated MC table that comes as an option.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/portballast.jpg

Starboard bag full which for some reason filled a little more than port until timer shut it off.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/starboardballast.jpg

With Port and Starboard filled as well as center KGB it put my platform under the water about 3 inches.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/platform.jpg

ttu
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
glad to see the back sacs works.

any wake pic.

Roonie's
08-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Now for pics of wake. This is both port and starboard and kgb full as well as an extra 800#'s from two fly high sacs in the rear compartments. This pic is going about 22mph. The pic doesn't do it justice but a really nice big wake.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/wake22mph.jpg

Here is the surf wake with just port and KGB filled as well as a 400# rear sac at about 11 mph. It still needs to be cleaned up some and I think it will when I get the bow bag filled and play with the speed somwhat. I am very happy with the size already as it is a huge difference from stock!!! Pics don't do it justice or give you size relation.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/surfwake.jpg

I wish I had some adult company as it was butter and no one else out except a few fisherman along the shores and I am itching to try the wake on the end of a rope. The only waves are from me.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/butter.jpg

Roonie's
08-08-2008, 04:37 PM
My helper......

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/myhelper.jpg

Also I am going to upgrade the prop as I found out it is a little slower getting out of the hole. To be expected with that much weight in the boat as I was running about 2000 #'s today of extra ballast (including stock). It still does it just fine but definately slower as the rear digs in much more and the bow comes up a lot. I am hoping the bow sac will fix some of that. Right at the lower surf speed it is using all its HP that the motor has as I can feel it. Once on plane wakeboard speed no big deal.

turbosdad
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I did my install today. Front sac kicked my a$$. I cut the overflow of the KGB and split it two ways into the bow sac. Lots of working with two arms/hands in the access hole. It is also hot in Texas at 1 in the afternoon.

As of now I have the two in the rear and the integrated one in the front. Glad to hear about the foot of storage on top of the bags. Can never have too much storage. So no leaks in anything?....well not counting the the unplugged holes;)

Thanks for your well documented installation I was able to git-r-done. Will have it in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Roonie's
08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I did my install today. Front sac kicked my a$$. I cut the overflow of the KGB and split it two ways into the bow sac. Lots of working with two arms/hands in the access hole. It is also hot in Texas at 1 in the afternoon.

As of now I have the two in the rear and the integrated one in the front. Glad to hear about the foot of storage on top of the bags. Can never have too much storage. So no leaks in anything?....well not counting the the unplugged holes;)

Thanks for your well documented installation I was able to git-r-done. Will have it in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Pictures always help me.... No leaks anywhere except the two unplugged holes. I am going to do another water test today and do some boarding behind it too.

That small access hole was by far the hardest part of the installation. A couple skinned knuckles and a lot of sweat and heating of the tubes/soap I got it done.

turbosdad
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Just to clarify...everytime that the Pergo switch is turned off do the ballasts timers reset to factory or say 4.5 minutes??? In other words do I have to program the pumps everytime since we turn off the switch when we put the boat up for the week.

Got the boat in the water, yesterday. I had reprogrammed the pump timers to about 9 minutes each. That was long enough to fill both rears to overflow. The front one only filled the bag about half way in that time span. I will reprogram that one. Hence my question of "if I turn off the battery switch do I need to reprogram all of them?" That would be a major hassle!!

As far as emptying the bags....we have to be moving to get to the 1500rpm they recommend so the rear bags left a little water in them due to the bow upward angle. The front one emptied completely.

As for the wake...wow we had both rears filled, the stock KGB, and 6 people in the boat. My nephew said that it was like running into a wall. Oh yeah, no leaks....woo hoo

wakeX2wake
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
awesome to hear on the installs... what i'm more curious about is... does the wake still have the good smooth long transition and lip or does it become more abrupt and just a wall... i had about 9 bodies in mine over the weekend w/ a few coolers filled with... ice... and i didn't have a drop of ballast in and that thing was HUGE... however i didn't like it much b/c it was too much like my buddy SANTE wake... little transition and wall like ride up to the lip... i know i probably just need to go buy a star but i really am wanting to keep the smooth transition into a rampy wake w/ a firm lip

turbosdad
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
We emptied the ballast with that many people to make it more of a smooth transition. When my nephew would hit the steep one, he could get air but not as much distance. Still playing with it.

Roonie's
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Just to clarify...everytime that the Pergo switch is turned off do the ballasts timers reset to factory or say 4.5 minutes??? In other words do I have to program the pumps everytime since we turn off the switch when we put the boat up for the week.

Got the boat in the water, yesterday. I had reprogrammed the pump timers to about 9 minutes each. That was long enough to fill both rears to overflow. The front one only filled the bag about half way in that time span. I will reprogram that one. Hence my question of "if I turn off the battery switch do I need to reprogram all of them?" That would be a major hassle!!

As far as emptying the bags....we have to be moving to get to the 1500rpm they recommend so the rear bags left a little water in them due to the bow upward angle. The front one emptied completely.

As for the wake...wow we had both rears filled, the stock KGB, and 6 people in the boat. My nephew said that it was like running into a wall. Oh yeah, no leaks....woo hoo

Good job. For some reason I could not program all my timers at the same time so I had to do each individually. That meant undoing battery cables 3 or 4 times and the other timers held their programs after I re-programmed them even after losing all power. So the answer is they keep their programming I think it just resets the AI unit to no memory but still stores the programming done to them.

The wake is awesome and there is no way I would want it any bigger for sure. Still playing around with mine too as you don't need all the bags full to get a sweet wake. It is more wall like with everything filled. Very nice ramp prior to everything being filled.

My rear bags do not drain all the way too but when I get home I just lift them up and let any water residue in them go into the stock tank and then I hit the empty.

turbosdad
08-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Mine would not program at the same time! I had to disconnect the battery in between each one. All in all I am real pleased and the surfing wake is great.

turbosdad
08-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Here's a picture of the wake....not a great picture but a good wake. KGB stock filled half way, starboard filled, plus the fat sac, driver and 3 people on the left side.

Waterski-Marcoisland
08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
I have an 07 X2 with about 1000 hours on it. I have the same system installed. Couple of pointers:
Make sure your vent hoses are clear from kinks, blowing a tank is possible, also idle up to about 1200 rpm that will run pumps at optimum rating, be sure to check your impellers every 100 hours at least, new impellers pump a whole lot more water, I have my AI set at 5.5 min timers, I installed a resettable breaker in-between the AI and battery to make those adjustments and resets alittle easier, also run your bags with vent and fill toward the aft of the boat they will empty all the time that way, also lube your impellers, less friction more rpm's=more water. 22.5-22.7 at 75 feet is best for me good lip front bag 75% rear bags maxed out. I have the new prop the MC just came available. I actually got the 2nd or third one produced and gave OJ feed back on performance...its awesome better fuel eco and hauls a$$ out of hole with full ballast and 6 people. Crusader 5.7 motor is faster than MCX which claims on having 2o more hp. McX is a big out of the hole with full ballast not including adding people. 3 of my friends have the MCX motors in their X2's and you can definatley see the difference. One day we acutally lined them up next to each other with same ballast and only drive to see the difference and the Crusader was on plain about 3-4 seconds faster....hmm to bad the Crusader is no longer an option. Your wondering why so many hours, I'm in my boat riden probally about 4-6 days a week. Gator Boards team is also always down visiting......my 2 cents.......

Dustin Beatty
2007 Mastercraft X2 SS
5.7 Crusader

Roonie's
08-17-2008, 02:26 PM
awesome.

I really like the fly high install the more I have used it. My front bag only fills about 70-80% before shutoff. Will lube the impellers. Love the surf wake as it is huge. Now I find a secluded part of the lake to surf as the wake my boat puts out now is enormous. Still no pics as I usually only have a driver and then me surfing so no one to take pics. Wakeboarding it is a nice wake and I would recommend this install to anyone wanting more wake out of their boat in a heartbeat as it was an easy install and the benefits you get out of it are huge. The only thing I would tell someone is plan on upgrading your prop after adding this much ballast.

turbosdad
08-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Dustin, i like your boat.....here is mine

ttu
08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
roonie, where did you buy the ballast line from?

Roonie's
08-18-2008, 03:24 PM
roonie, where did you buy the ballast line from?

I bought everything from my MC dealer. They had it all in stock and walked me through the install. You can look on their website and buy it online if needed.

http://www.waterskis.com/Ballast-your-boat-from-Fly-High-s/133.htm

Roonie's
11-20-2008, 04:00 PM
A good winter project thought I would bring it back to the top.

wakeX2wake
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
agreed... again thanks for the thread and details

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I just recently stripped all the carpet off my ballast tanks in the rear of the boat. I like it, you can see the water level through the tank plus no more vaccum. (sp)
I was a easy project......

Justjoe
11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Ahem!! Pictures??

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
i will post tomorrow. the bare a$$ tanks look awesome......

1boarder
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
here is my install i did last year on my x2. This may help some people.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/546144.html.

As Roonie stated, the back timers fill up in 6 minutes and I think I have the front timer set at 6.5 minutes. If you don't upgrade to the 20 min timers, you don't miss much. Wish I knew this before I bought them.

wakeX2wake
11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
how relevant are the valves?

i know several of you guys have used them and i know several haven't

i can see some of the pros and cons but... if i only want the factory filled (aka a day when i got a bunch of bodies in the boat) i'll just watch for the bags to start filling and cut them off...

what are some other pros and cons... just wonder if i'm missing something...

looking to start installing bags in a week or two when i can't think of something more fun to do...

1boarder
11-21-2008, 04:42 PM
my guess would be wear and tear on the tanks. everytime you fill up you are pressurizing the hard tanks for at least 4 minutes of the fill up. I don't know any other reason.

Willytown
12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
how well does the integrated bow sac drain? it seems liek the water on the starboard side wouldnt make it back to the port side to drain back into the tank? also, would it make it more efficient to hook the supply/drain line to the hole in the bottom of the sac?

Waterski-Marcoisland
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
i have the horse shoe sac with hose on each end

Willytown
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
how will it work with just one supply/drain line going into the bottom of 1 side? does it create enough of a vacuum to drain most of the water? i dont think my IBS has a bottom hole on both sides, just on the port side. ill have to look.

wakeX2wake
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
how will it work with just one supply/drain line going into the bottom of 1 side? does it create enough of a vacuum to drain most of the water? i dont think my IBS has a bottom hole on both sides, just on the port side. ill have to look.

if you've got the flyhigh custom x2 it should... i bought a blem for 100 bucks a couple months ago and it did

Willytown
12-08-2008, 04:02 PM
i bought a x2 blem as well from the guy on ebay who sells factory seconds, ill check tonight. its actually going into an xstar.

Justjoe
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Mine only has the bottom hole on the port side. The starboard rear has a top plug. I plumbed it to fill on the port, overflow into the starboard side. Have not run water through it yet though (as it's snowing and cold).

1boarder
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
the front bag will drain fine as long as there is a check valve in the overflow. the jabsco pumps create a lot of vacuum.

TheOneandOnly
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM

The flyhigh does have a bottom hole on both sides of the U bow sac. There is sometimes a little that is left over however I only have the one bottom side plumbed but the left over is minimal.

I got to say the 08x2 needs extra ballast if you want a nice wake. One thing I want to upgrade is the stock prop though since its a little slow on getting up...

wakeX2wake
12-09-2008, 10:06 AM
one thing to warn of...

we plumbed in some rear sacs on my buddy's SANTE 210 and if you're not watching the rear sacs while emptying and the bag is able to more or less suck down on itself... the pump will suck a huge dent in the tank... thankfully we saw it and killed the pump and got the air going into the hard tank... if you don't have air getting pulled into your hard tank i'm afraid you might be able to suck a crack into your hard tank and cause some MAJOR issues... again i'm not totally sure this is possible but when i picked the bag up and saw that tank denting in on itself i was majorly concerned... just a warning to keep your eye on that

Justjoe
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow, that would not be cool. How is the bag vented? Seems that if you didn't have the bag vented to the overflow, you risk over inflating (boom). Of course maybe you're using some sort of ninja one way check valve?

Roonie's
12-09-2008, 06:48 PM
one thing to warn of...

we plumbed in some rear sacs on my buddy's SANTE 210 and if you're not watching the rear sacs while emptying and the bag is able to more or less suck down on itself... the pump will suck a huge dent in the tank... thankfully we saw it and killed the pump and got the air going into the hard tank... if you don't have air getting pulled into your hard tank i'm afraid you might be able to suck a crack into your hard tank and cause some MAJOR issues... again i'm not totally sure this is possible but when i picked the bag up and saw that tank denting in on itself i was majorly concerned... just a warning to keep your eye on that

wow thats a good heads up...... Was he using the fly high system? The reason I ask is the in and out of the system are right next to each other and I would think that would prevent this???? I could see it happening with an in port on one side and exit on the other side. Also the flyhigh bags are so stiff there are always air pockets it seems but anything is possible.

Justjoe
12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Ah, ok...now I get it (i'm an idiot).

wakeX2wake
12-10-2008, 10:01 AM
yea he had all the flyhigh stuff...

and i think some kind of extra line of valve would be nice but not completely necessary...

well when we did the install we did it really simply... we hooked up the overflow from the factory to the lower front facing port on the bag and then from the back port on top of the bag to the overflow on the side of the boat and that was it for the rear install...

the issue came when we did not open up the other top port on the bag when emptying... to a point you have to have air replacing water as the water empties... since your water is essentially being sucked from the bag to the box you may not have any excess air coming into the bag... when the bag collapsed on itself and covered the port where we had the overflow from the factory hooked up was where we had the issue... at first i thought it was the weight of the 400 lb bag on top of a plastic milk jug collapsing it but then realized that the pumps were sucking water out the bottom of the box and no air was coming in from the bag...

i'm sure there's a thousand ways to engineer around this but our solution was overly simple... we put a quick connect from the box overflow to the bag and when the bag empties we simply unhook that quick connect from the bag and dump the remaining water in the bag overboard to prevent mildew and other funkyness then roll the bags up so the compartments can air out (b/c they will w/o fail get went and a vinyl bag laying in there isn't going to help them dry) and as we're doing that the factory box is able to pull in air and not cave itself in

Roonie's
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Interesting as the MC overflow is free flowing meaning there are no check valves or one way valves. So when I empty my flyhigh the air is coming in through the overflow line on the side of the boat. It is a free flowing system with no dead ends or valves in thew way. The plastic is usually stiff enough to keep the channel open and there is always a little water left in the end of the bag too. At the end of the day I have quick disconnects that just unhook and you can pour the extra water out as well. I usually leave the one connected to the factory tank and pour it into the factory tank and let the pump empty it.

It sounds like your friends boat is not? The overflow must have a one way valve or something? Not sure why there wouldn't be air replacing the water leaving it?

wakeX2wake
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
It sounds like your friends boat is not? The overflow must have a one way valve or something? Not sure why there wouldn't be air replacing the water leaving it?

my mistake... the way the bag empties by nature of the type of structure it is it will not readily replace water inside the bag w/ air as the bag will collapse on itself... and not necessarily draw air in through the over flow...

the ballast system on the 07 Air Nautiques are basically the exact same as the ones on our 07 MC X-Series... different switches, timing mechanism, and shape of the tanks but as far as other hardware there's not a dime's difference...

basically just watch it when your bags are emptying that the bag doesn't suck down on itself and prevent air from coming through the system... basically like sealing two straws in a ziplock bag and sucking on one... eventually it will suck itself down on the straw preventing airflow... slightly different materials but the same concept w/ your bags

Tomsinamerica
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
In case anyone cares, i thought i'd post a pic of before and after. As is always the case the after doesn't really do it justice and this was taken without any fine tuning of weight distribution.

Left is prior to fly high.

Both pics taken at 23mph.

Which reminds me... for those of you with fly high, what line length and speed are you all using?

flipper
05-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks like it made quite a difference.

Tomsinamerica
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes... it did but I think i need to spend a lot of time fine tuning it so that I can actually get the most out of it. I need to figure out line length and speed.

Surfing however was a different game all together. And again i need to clean it up a little, I just loaded the port and front tank, slapped PP on at 11mph and could have surfed that all day long. Last year I couldn't let the line go for all the tea in china.

TallRedRider
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Since the way Roonie installed this system seems to work very well, what is the purpose of the flow valves they list in the parts list on the fly high spec sheet?

hawaiianstiln
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
very nice! Here in the winter, I think I might have to do this now that you posted details on the installation process. Thanks!

GMAC
09-09-2009, 01:25 AM
I am looking to have this type of system put in my 07 X2 but don't really want to deal with the hassle of wiring in new timers... Anyone know a good installer in WA state (East or West side).

Thanks

Waterski-Marcoisland
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I have the fly high bags for sale that I took out of my X2 when I sold it.

197 TT
07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I just installed my fly high system, have a little trouble with programming the timers. Do I have to disconnect one or the other or both batteries? Positive of negative or both... only had a little bit of time to play around, but never got the pumps to flash/into program mode... would love to have additional detail tonight... Thanks!!

ttu
07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I just installed my fly high system, have a little trouble with programming the timers. Do I have to disconnect one or the other or both batteries? Positive of negative or both... only had a little bit of time to play around, but never got the pumps to flash/into program mode... would love to have additional detail tonight... Thanks!!

if you figure it out would you please let me know!!! i added the 20 minute timers and have tried to program them many times and still can't get them to overide the factory settings!!!

197 TT
07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
and do you leave the plug of the brain box out the whole time you reprogram? it is the plug on the top of the box, correct?

197 TT
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Okay, I just messed with this for a while, tried everything I could think of, can't get the pumps in to program mode, would really appreciate any advise, thanks

stt
07-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Take all the battery leads off. Unplug the connect only at the ballast pump you are configuring. Run through the program then plug back in. I had to repeat this three times.

197 TT
07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Still having trouble. Instead of disconnecting the plug to the brain box, I disconnected each pump individually. after cycling 5 times and then to fill again, the light flashes. I cycle fill/off and it flashes every time, but appears it flashes the same number of times every time ~7-9... then I empty it, but it still is set to 4.5 minutes... gone through this several times, just not upping the time at all. I've done a lot of searching and there are several threads of people increasing time, but no troubleshooting threads? I must be missing something???

Love the new system, would greatly appreciate some tips on getting the darn timers set, thanks!

197 TT
07-22-2012, 10:39 PM
I'll send a case of beer to whoever can help me get this figured out??

bcd
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
I assume you've seen the Jabsco instruction manual on programming, but just in case, there's a pdf on this thread:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46151&page=2

That's all the help I can offer. My boat doesn't have the timer modules.

197 TT
07-24-2012, 09:42 PM
As a follow up, I did figure some things out:
-even though I have an 08, I don't have 20 min timers
-I actually don't have 6 min timers either, 5.5 is the longest I could program
-If I tried to increase more than 5.5 mins, it would drop to 4.5 mins. (4.5, 5, 5.5, 4.5 repeat)
-I was able to enter program mode just be turn the battery switch to off in lieu removing cables from batteries...

ndrawk
08-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the information everyone has shared in these forums. It’s very helpful.

I’m having some difficulty with the ballast pump shutoff timers in my 2009 X2. I’ve purchased some additional bags that I’m hoping to fill via piggy back with my existing ballasts; however, I can’t get them filled because the ballast pump keeps shutting off (after 6 min). I’m hoping someone can shed some light on what I’m doing wrong. So far, I’ve discussed my issues with a dealer and with the guys at WakeMakers.com, but no one could help.

The process I’ve been following to extend the fill time on the Jabsco pumps, based on instructions I’ve received from both my dealer and WakeMakers:

1. Disconnect the pumps from power (unplug right next to the pumps)
2. Cut power to the boat at the battery (on my X2, there is a switch)
3. Turn power back on.
4. Immediately start toggling ballast switch (fill – off – drain – off – fill – off – drain… etc)
5. Once I’ve entered the program mode (as indicated by blinking lights on switch), add time to the pump by toggling between fill and off position.
6. Ballast switch will blink for every 30 seconds of fill time.
7. Once the timing has been increased to the desired level, return the switch to the off position, and let it set for 30 seconds.
8. Reconnect power to pumps.

This is the basic process I have followed. In each case, I am able to enter the program mode and add time. In each case, I’ve been able to change the number of “blinks” (30 seconds of fill for each blink) from 7-8 blinks up to 36 blinks, which should be the maximum. Once the fill time has been increased in the program mode, I return the switch to the off position, and let it sit for 30 seconds to make sure the setting is applied. Then, I reconnect the pump.

Here is my problem. I can’t get the updated fill time to “stick”. Once I’m back out on the water, my fill time has returned to a standard six minutes, which won’t fill my bags.

I’ve experimented with this a number of different ways, and on one occasion, the changes in program mode actually applied to my Starboard ballast, and I was able to fill that bag all the way up. However, when I re-entered program mode later to try to get the KGB and Port ballast reprogrammed, it reset the Starboard back to what it was before!

So basically I’m pulling my hair out. Does anyone out there know how to make the changes achieved in the programming mode “stick”? How does the Active Intelligence Box save those settings? I’ve reviewed instructions from both WakeMakers and my dealer, and the instructions end after adding time in the program mode. What is the next step?

If anyone could shed some light, it would be awesome. I’ve been working on this since May! Thanks

BrooksfamX2
08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
You can have your ballast timer reprogrammed (fixed time) by forum member tr6coug, check out www.wakeblaster.com
My 07 timers were inconsistant at best, had them reprogrammed and they work great. I have a piggyback 455lb bag on my surf side. One time cycle and they fill the stock ballast, second cycle (turn off/on again) and it fills the bag. Drains the sam way.

Kell
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM

At your X2 bags still available?

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

Aric'sX15
09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
will the install be about the same on a 2010 x-15? I'm about to order all the parts you listed to do it.

wbreaux
12-25-2012, 06:35 PM

PM me if theyre still available

Chred
12-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Did you guys buy the whole fly high system listed on wakemakers or did you buy the bags and a few components. I am wanting to order over the winter but want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

From what I have read my 06 does not have timers?... If this is correct do I just watch for the bags to be full, and don't have to worry about resetting timers.

tmacx2
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Did you guys buy the whole fly high system listed on wakemakers or did you buy the bags and a few components. I am wanting to order over the winter but want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

From what I have read my 06 does not have timers?... If this is correct do I just watch for the bags to be full, and don't have to worry about resetting timers.

Sorry, not familiar with the 06's but the system piggybacks into the factory ballast tanks and overflow comes out of the thru-hull fittings. Wakemakers is great to deal with. I've bought a lot of stuff from them. I would call them and tell them what you're wanting to do (wakeboard, surf, etc.) and they'll hook you up with what you need.

Chred
12-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Sorry, not familiar with the 06's but the system piggybacks into the factory ballast tanks and overflow comes out of the thru-hull fittings. Wakemakers is great to deal with. I've bought a lot of stuff from them. I would call them and tell them what you're wanting to do (wakeboard, surf, etc.) and they'll hook you up with what you need.

Thanks, I guess I will give them a shout and order over the phone. I was a little hesitant, I guess I was worried they would over sell me if I don't know much going in.

tmacx2
12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
If you're just starting out wakeboarding the factory ballast would be more than enough. If you want to surf you'll need more ballast. They have some different configurations you can lookup on their website before you call them so you have some idea of what you're looking for.

http://media.wakemakers.com/2012/05/2006-2011-mastercraft-x2-wakeboard-ballast-guide/

If you're looking more for surf ballast here's a thread about the X2 and surfing.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49816

I wouldn't worry about them overselling you. I have found them great to work with. Recently, I was working with Jason on my surf ballast setup. I was thinking about a custom bag which would have been very expensive but after talking with him he recommended their 1100# bag which cost $190.

JRW160
01-01-2013, 01:03 PM
There are no timers on the 06 models. 07 had the 5 minute max timers, which someone on here can reprogram. With the 06, just make sure you have the bags plugged into the factory vent lines and turn them off when water starts coming out the vent lines.

The guys at wakemakers are very helpful and have great customer service.

BrooksfamX2
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Yes, wakemakers are good to work with. tr6coug can reprogram timers. He did mine and they work great!

Chred
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys! I think I will give them a call this week to see what they suggest.

Chred
01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow you guys were right I called them and they were ready to help and it looks like it will cost about $400 dollars less than what I could find on the website!

chopp
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I have installed the fly high kit , rear lockers and front bow sacs a little while ago. Just a quick question . when running everything full , standard ballast and fly high , the boat 2011 x2 porposes around a bit . i have to run the attitude plate down about 50% to stop it , which is probably reducing the size of the wake too. does this happen to everyone , or is there a better way to do it . leaving some bags a bit empty or adding extra weight somewhere . any help would be great .
thanks.

Quinten
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I have installed the fly high kit , rear lockers and front bow sacs a little while ago. Just a quick question . when running everything full , standard ballast and fly high , the boat 2011 x2 porposes around a bit . i have to run the attitude plate down about 50% to stop it , which is probably reducing the size of the wake too. does this happen to everyone , or is there a better way to do it . leaving some bags a bit empty or adding extra weight somewhere . any help would be great .
thanks.

I'm not sure, but I think it will help if you put more weight up front.

Cause the plate puts the noise down a bit so weight up front will help too in my understanding ;)

chopp
03-09-2013, 02:29 AM
yeah i thought that might be the case. is anyone doing that to solve the problem. if not i will post back after i try it out.

Chred
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I wish I could try mine out and provide input but we still have a few months before the ice comes off the lakes :(

XStar08
04-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Remember, it is not granted to get a better wake the more ballast you put in. I would recon to play around with different levels of water in the bags to get out the max. Try to fill front and KGB and only fill the rear lockers 3/4 or so. That should get you a better fealing of how your boat reacts. You are than able to adapt the ballast to the needs of the rider also taking into consideration how many people are in the boat...

Indyxc
09-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Just digging this back up for a question.

I know there are custom x2 sacs, however, they are twice the price, compared to generic 400 lb bags.

The dimension are slightly different, but has anyone tried these?

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-v-drive-sacs.html

bcd
09-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I have the V drive sacs left over from my 02 X Star. They are the wrong dimensions for the rear lockers in the newer (06+) X-2's. In 2012, they blocked off the bow area, so the single front bag no longer works. I plumbed the V drive sacs in up front, and they fill out pretty well in there.

Indyxc
09-03-2013, 09:06 PM
By wrong dimensions you mean completely non useable?

I am just having a hard time paying for $190 dollars each for the X2 rear sacks, when the generic 400 lbs are $199 for 2 bags.

I also found these, which I guess would work. If you do the Math they are 275 lbs each, so 550 lbs total on top of the rear, for 120 dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skiers-Choice-Supra-Moomba-Fly-High-Pro-X-Series-Ballast-Bag-16W-x-16H-x-30L-/360613467216?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item53f63cd450&vxp=mtr

Quinten
09-04-2013, 03:07 AM
I have the V drive sacs left over from my 02 X Star. They are the wrong dimensions for the rear lockers in the newer (06+) X-2's. In 2012, they blocked off the bow area, so the single front bag no longer works. I plumbed the V drive sacs in up front, and they fill out pretty well in there.

Do you have a picture of the v drive sacs up front, and can you specify wich sac it is?

bcd
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
For my front bags I used what they call the V drive bags - W701 which are 42"x16"x16". The X2 rear bags are 32"x18"x20". You could use the V drive bags back there, they just won't fill in completely.
Here's a picture of the V drive bags filled up front: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=945573#post945573

bcd
09-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Here are some pictures of how installed the bags.

Quinten
09-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Here are some pictures of how installed the bags.

Thank you verry much :)

Does that bag on starboard side, fill completly and does it kind of fit?

bcd
09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
It's a little long, but I'd say it's at least 80% full, if not 90%.