PDA

View Full Version : any way to clean up scratches on fiberglass fenders?

brucemac
07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
i have a few scratches on my black 03 205v trailer fenders, the fiberglass part

probably previous owner not being very careful

anyway to clean or buff those out or am i out of luck since they're fiberglass?

they're not very deep, but it would be cool to clean them up...

tia

-b

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Some 2000 Micro-Fine 3M Wet-R-Dry sandpaper, Blue Magic metal polish used with a buffer and a good coat of wax and they will be history!

brucemac
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
thanks so walk me through that. i have the blue magic already.

so i use the blue magic with the 2000 micro-fine sandpaper? and then buff out with wax?

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
thanks so walk me through that. i have the blue magic already.

so i use the blue magic with the 2000 micro-fine sandpaper? and then buff out with wax?

Wet sand with the 2000, clean up with damp towel, buff out using the Blue Magic as the polishing medium, like compound, clean up with a damp towel, then wax the devil out of it and be happy!

I was taught that trick by a guy who built, restored, painted, showed Award winning Corvettes and I have used the trick for over 25 years on our cars and boats. 11 Best of Shows @ MasterCraft Boat Owner Reunion boat judging with our '89 has to say something.

brucemac
07-29-2008, 07:05 PM
awesome, thanks harold! :)

brucemac
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
harold is this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Imperial-Wetordry-Sheet-Sheets/dp/B0002MSY90

and i can just use a sanding block right? small circular motions or cheese grater?

brucemac
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
i was at true value today and picked up a sheet of Gator Grit WetRdry 1500

is that fine enough?

flipper
10-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Don't forget the before and after pics!!!!

TMCNo1
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
harold is this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Imperial-Wetordry-Sheet-Sheets/dp/B0002MSY90

and i can just use a sanding block right? small circular motions or cheese grater?

Yes, and use a sanding block for large areas and the thumb for small, small areas in any fashion you wish. Remember, sand less at a time, more times rather than too much all at once!

TMCNo1
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
i was at true value today and picked up a sheet of Gator Grit WetRdry 1500

is that fine enough?

Yes, it will just cut faster and take longer to polish out!

brucemac
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
okay, thanks guys. i'll take pics. taking by boat in next monday to get winterized and will work on the fenders in the next couple weekends. hey harold, that blue magic is fine for the aluminum wheels too right? i've got some spots, hopefully not pitted. they could be scratches though. may be out of luck on those. they're the 14in aluminum mags 02-05 i think.

TMCNo1
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
okay, thanks guys. i'll take pics. taking by boat in next monday to get winterized and will work on the fenders in the next couple weekends. hey harold, that blue magic is fine for the aluminum wheels too right? i've got some spots, hopefully not pitted. they could be scratches though. may be out of luck on those. they're the 14in aluminum mags 02-05 i think.

Try the blue magic, it won't hurt!
Most of the aluminum wheels on these boats are either urethane paint clearcoated or clear powdercoated. Even the older chromed steel wagon/sawblade/holed wheels of years past were clearcoated to retard rusting and corrosion. Corrosion should only occur if the clear finish is broken from being chipped or curbed to allow corrosion. If the finish is becoming milky or has fine crowfooting, it usually from too strong of a cleaner being used on them. As a general rule, I would suggest not using any kind of soap or cleaner any stronger that what you would use on the finish of your family's vehicle, with the occasional wax job, just like the car finish, cause all theses finishes today are just plastic cousins to each other.