PDA

View Full Version : Amp trouble

MikeLundberg
07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
well finally got around to testing my amp power. stock clarion amp in my 2002 x7 is blowing the fuse upon immediate insertion into the slot. It says max 25 on the amp and I am using a 25 so thats not the problem the voltage coming through according to my volt-meter is 12.6 and the amprage is less than 1. so Im wondering why the fuse blows immediately???

MikeLundberg
08-01-2008, 03:17 PM
nobody has any ideas?

JimN
08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Did someone connect the battery with the cables reversed? That would cause this. Most amps have a diode at the power input and if it's connected in reverse, the diode fails instead of taking the amp out. Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery, too? Remove that fuse and open the amp's bottom panel. If you see anything that looks burnt, it needs repair. A good stereo shop can repair it, if they actually have a service department. If not, call around.

MikeLundberg
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Jim, the battery is connected fine, because my other amp is working just fine. next time im at my lake I will just have to disconect it and bring it in.

JimN
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Have you removed the speaker wires and tried it? If there's a short on the output, it may launch the fuse.