PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump ?'s

liquidforceb069
07-28-2008, 06:25 PM
So i have a 89 Prostar with the 351. Im having some bilge pump issues. It quit working yesterday and the boat almost sank. Then i got it to work by hitting the reset button. Then it would work and then stop so i kept doing it repedily. Well now it doesnt work at all. Nothing seems to work. So could it be because the wires got to wet? I need a new one? Whats the deal? Thanks!

Skipper
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
I recommend that you start by testing the voltage being delivered to the pump. If you are getting around 12 volts when the switch is turned on then you know you are getting power to the bilge pump. In that case you may just need a new bilge pump. If not, you need to work back to the dash to find why there is no power going through the wire. It can be at the switch, circuit breaker, or a ground anywhere along the route.

The wires in the bilge are going to get wet. Any connections should be sealed to protect them from the water.

Just out of curiosity, how did you take on so much water that you almost sunk the boat?

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I would check the wiring for power and go ahead a replace the pump with something like this, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6031726. they can be bought just about anywhere, from your MC dealer to Wal-Mart.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I would follow Bill's instructions to try and remedy the electrical problems. I bought an 87PS this year and had to replace my pump because the impeller had deteriorated to the point where it would no longer pump water. If it is the original pump I would go ahead and replace it too. I mine, same as above post, at walmart.