PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Leak

wakescene
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
So I noticed I was getting more water than normal in the boat after a day on the water. I didn't see any visible leaks, so I hooked up the fake-a-lake, but still nothing. After fiddling for a little while I decided to give the throttle a little gas....Whoa!

Got a straight stream of water out of the inner bearing on the raw water pump, but only under throttle. The more gas, the bigger the leak. Guess I found the leak.

Anyone else ever have this?

TMCNo1
07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Time to have the raw water pump replaced or if you are a DIYer, rebuild parts for the pump, like here,
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1094 and I know MC dealers were at one time able to get the impeller with the new seal included in a kit from the factory, I have one of the kits.

rob935
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
your pump definitley has a seal worn , very simple job to replace the pump out for a new one and are readily available from skidim for about $125 .

wakescene
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for the replys, I have one ordered. Yea, this is going to be a fun job to tackle.

mitch
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
thanks for the replys, I have one ordered. Yea, this is going to be a fun job to tackle.

it's easy, I'm not that handy but it was piece of cake on my 2000 205

Tom023
07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Try replacing the shaft seal first for $15.

wakescene
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
SO I got the pump and did the swap. It was an easy job, but the bilge from the leaking and whatnot is dirty. I took the time to repaint the crank pulley, clean the bilge and grease the steering cable and rudder box. All in all about 2.5 hours of work and it's done!

FYI, I would have considered replacing the seal, but I boat in in saltwater, so knowing the damage has been done, replacement of the entire pump assembly is the only option I would have considered. The housing rusted and locked up tight after I removed it. I put it on the vice and tried to rotate it by hand...no go!

Here are a few pics.

TMCNo1
08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the pictures.

Willski
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
So putting Corona light in your cooling system now huh??? Does that make the boat go faster!!

denverd1
08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
AND run cooler! nice job, didn't look too bad.

NU-skier
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe it helps with sneaking in an after hours late night pass undetected :rolleyes:

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I may want to rebuild mine but did not see bearings for the JOHNSON RAW WATER PUMP FORD & GM on the Skidim site. I did see the seal. am I missing something, I need to replace bearings because I am getting noise and a little water from the pump.

Tom023
08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
A complete rebuild is a little more involved.

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
After further research (thx Tom), wait till it quits and then pay the 195.00 :) :) :)

TMCNo1
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
After further research (thx Tom), wait till it quits and then pay the 195.00 :) :) :)

Try to make it till the off season and change pumps while it's winterized and you've got all winter to do it. You may have to keep a towel or something in the bilge to catch any leaking water till fall.

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
um.... isnt that what the bilge is for? catching water I mean? besides right now its just a little noisy and barely sprays, I dont collect any worth worrying about. I did dip the bow for the first time this past weekend, kind of by accident. That fills it up pretty quick.

**EDIT, I forgot who I was talking to. My bilge is there to collect water :D:D

Footin
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I put a new seal in mine last year, about a 1 hour job.

bigmac
08-06-2008, 11:10 PM
I'd just replace the pump. Seal is one thing, replacing the bearing is a bigger deal, even if you could find the bearing. I'd do it now, not wait. The raw water pump is one of the more important components of your engine systems. I wouldn't take the chance. Easily available from SkiDim for $195

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JOH10-24232-1

TMCNo1
08-07-2008, 06:38 AM
um.... isnt that what the bilge is for? catching water I mean? besides right now its just a little noisy and barely sprays, I dont collect any worth worrying about. I did dip the bow for the first time this past weekend, kind of by accident. That fills it up pretty quick.

**EDIT, I forgot who I was talking to. My bilge is there to collect water :D:D

:uglyhammeI knew you would catch that! You didn't disappoint me!

wakescene
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
WOW that pump rebuild instruction from Indmar is involved! The one thing that always slighted me in the past was the removal and pressing of bearings! I hated that stuff.

My recommendation to everyone is just replace the entire unit. Very simple, easy and there is nothing fancy about it. Just like the impeller that rides inside the unit, it's a small price to pay for big peace of mind.