PDA

View Full Version : Dark engine oil OK?

Ski-me
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I changed the oil about 40 hours ago (on the guage) and the color is now pretty dark. Is it usual to have the oil get this dark this quickly?

94' 205, LT1, 268 hours now.

I used the VR1 racing oil.

rob935
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
i would say thats pretty normal , oil in my 93 prostar would be dark after about 20 hrs or so and i have never had any mechanical worries touch wood..with 1100 hrs on the clock.

Ski-me
07-28-2008, 02:42 PM
That's good to hear. I was thinking about changing the oil again but if it's normal, I'll wait until the end of the summer before winterizing it. Thanks!

bigmac
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I changed the oil about 40 hours ago (on the guage) and the color is now pretty dark. Is it usual to have the oil get this dark this quickly?

94' 205, LT1, 268 hours now.

I used the VR1 racing oil.

Note that according to Indmar, VR1 doesn't meet their recommended oil specs for that engine. They now recommend 15W40 with API service classification CH-4+ or CH-4/SM. I'd switch oil.

Ski-me
07-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Before I changed the oil, I did a pretty big poll in here on the recommended oil for the LT1. I'd say 85-90% of the responses were Valvoline VR1 20W-50 oil so that's what I used. Are you saying there is now a different recommendation?

Sodar
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Listen to BigMac... he knows his oils! :D

denverd1
07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Is an oil change not recommended at 50hrs? It should look dirty at this point.

I change mine at 25 because of the extra weight I run in the boat. Can't remember where I read it, but someone did a fancy oil breakdown analysis and discovered most of the lubricating essentials were gone around 25 hrs.

Bigmac, any truth to that?

rob935
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
it may not be a bad idea to change the oil as big mac has suggested just to be on the safe side it certainly wont do it any harm , i tend to chand mine round the 30 hr mark ...

denverd1
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Bigmac, also do zinc additives extend the life at all?

Ski-me
07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Note that according to Indmar, VR1 doesn't meet their recommended oil specs for that engine. They now recommend 15W40 with API service classification CH-4+ or CH-4/SM. I'd switch oil.

Is this another special oil or can I find it readily available in an auto parts store?

djhuff
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
It's diesel engine oil.

Ski-me
07-28-2008, 04:18 PM
I wrote to Indmar and within 1/2 hour, I got a response. Not bad service!!

"The LT1 is not on our website because it is not a current production engine. When that engine was built, 15W40 did not exist so we recommended the 20W50 motor oil. If we built that engine today, we would recommend the same 15W40 that we use in our current engines. Either of these oils are acceptable.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Service"

bigmac
07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Is an oil change not recommended at 50hrs? It should look dirty at this point.

I change mine at 25 because of the extra weight I run in the boat. Can't remember where I read it, but someone did a fancy oil breakdown analysis and discovered most of the lubricating essentials were gone around 25 hrs.

Bigmac, any truth to that?
Not even a shred of truth. Not for at least 50 years.

bigmac
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Bigmac, also do zinc additives extend the life at all?Zinc additives like ZDDP are pressure wear additives. Their only real usefulness would be in old engines that used flat tappets instead of the current roller tappets. Zinc additives might result in some decreased wear in the flat tappet engines. ICBW but I think the last engine in a MasterCraft that used flat tappets was the Ford 351W.

Otherwise, no. No point to zinc.

bigmac
07-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Is this another special oil or can I find it readily available in an auto parts store?It's a very basic diesel oil. Rotella T - usually found at NAPA and Fleet Farm. Pennzoil Marine or Pennzoil Diesel - usually found at WalMart.

From a practical standpoint, look at the labels on any 15W40 oil you find. If it meets CH-4+, CH-4/SJ, or maybe you'll find CI-4+, you'll meet the specs Indmar now publishes for all of their engines.

If Shell just added the words "Racing Oil" to the packaging on Rotella T, I'll bet it would sell a lot better. Something about it being labeled a "diesel" oil that just doesn't capture the imagination in the same way, even though it's technically a better oil.

bigmac
07-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I wrote to Indmar and within 1/2 hour, I got a response. Not bad service!!

"The LT1 is not on our website because it is not a current production engine. When that engine was built, 15W40 did not exist so we recommended the 20W50 motor oil. If we built that engine today, we would recommend the same 15W40 that we use in our current engines. Either of these oils are acceptable.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Service"

There ya go. Straight from the horse's mouth. Personally, I'm partial to the diesel oils because of their better detergent capability.

east tx skier
07-29-2008, 09:53 AM
If the LT-1 has a roller cam in it, the 15W40 ought to be fine. Rotella T does a good job.

The VR-1 and other oils with a higher concentration of ZDDP is something those of us with flat tappet cams have felt the need (whether we legitimately know why or not---I fall somewhere in the middle, but know it's about lubrication ;)) to go toward.

That said, to get back to your question, my oil from a mechanically sound (and still mechanically sound from what I hear) engine always came back a bit darker than when I put it in.

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 10:43 AM
It's a very basic diesel oil. Rotella T - usually found at NAPA and Fleet Farm. Pennzoil Marine or Pennzoil Diesel - usually found at WalMart.

From a practical standpoint, look at the labels on any 15W40 oil you find. If it meets CH-4+, CH-4/SJ, or maybe you'll find CI-4+, you'll meet the specs Indmar now publishes for all of their engines.

If Shell just added the words "Racing Oil" to the packaging on Rotella T, I'll bet it would sell a lot better. Something about it being labeled a "diesel" oil that just doesn't capture the imagination in the same way, even though it's technically a better oil.

I thought it was labeled that way cause Diesel used it in his boat! :rolleyes: What do I know!:D

TRBenj
07-29-2008, 11:57 AM
If the LT-1 has a roller cam in it, the 15W40 ought to be fine. Rotella T does a good job.
Exactly. The question is whether the LT1 is roller or not. It could very well be- and Im not a Chevy guy- but I dont think the run of the mill 350 truck engines went roller until the mid 90's (maybe 96 if memory serves).

Its worth looking into, and if it does have a FT cam, stick with the VR1. I still dont see the harm in using it regardless, even if it does have a roller.

bigmac
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Its worth looking into, and if it does have a FT cam, stick with the VR1. I still dont see the harm in using it regardless, even if it does have a roller.

Agreed. Truth be told, it's a very common tendency for the average person to ascribe magical qualities to one oil vs another and then hotly defend their choice to whomever might question it, when in reality oil is pretty much oil. Mostly, those choices relate only to the success of that particular company's marketing campaign. Very little prospective data to support auto warranty-driven API service classifications, mostly just theoretical specs and anecdotes. There is very little in-use testing to support the rationale.

I suspect that the whole zinc-flat tappet business falls into that category.

east tx skier
07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Agreed. Truth be told, it's a very common tendency for the average person to ascribe magical qualities to one oil vs another and then hotly defend their choice to whomever might question it, when in reality oil is pretty much oil. Mostly, those choices relate only to the success of that particular company's marketing campaign. Very little prospective data to support auto warranty-driven API service classifications, mostly just theoretical specs and anecdotes. There is very little in-use testing to support the rationale.

I suspect that the whole zinc-flat tappet business falls into that category.

Amsoil being the obvious exception.

Just kidding. :)

bigmac
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Amsoil being the obvious exception.

Just kidding. :)

Yes, of course...Amsoil is magic.

denverd1
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Bigmac, thanks for the response.

GuitsBoy
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Exactly. The question is whether the LT1 is roller or not. It could very well be- and Im not a Chevy guy-
Im a chevy guy :). And yes, the LT1 motor was absolutely a hydraulic roller cam. GM had roller cams out as early as 87, although im not sure when ALL motors were completely switched over. Id be pretty surprised if any motors still had flat tappet lifters by 96 tho, although I cant completely verify this. Anyway, The LT1 is a roller cam motor.

Ski-me
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
So is this the stuff to use now? The specs say CH-4 in the mix so I'm guessing it meets the requirement. There was no mention of CH-4+ or CH-4/SM.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=112

Ski-me
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Or this one??

I did talk with the Valvoline Rep and he was definietely surprised they were specing out a Diesel oil. He thought I should research it more before making the change. He did mention that if I were to make the change that Sam's Club is actually the cheapest for the Rotella....even cheaper than his distributor.

bigmac
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeh. I forgot Sam's Club. Thanks for the tip - I've been buying the stuff at Fleet Farm. I use Rotella T 15W40 in both my engine and transmission - so, about 9 quarts per oil change.

What's to research? Fortunately, Indmar has done all that research for you. Why would you want to second guess their recommendation about what oil to use in their engines?

As to the Valvoline Premium Blue that oil exceeds CH-4.......it meets API CJ-4, API CI-4 Plus, API CI-4, API CH-4,CG-4, CF-4, CF / SM. It's the latest stuff and will make Indmar very happy.

Ski-me
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeh. I forgot Sam's Club. Thanks for the tip - I've been buying the stuff at Fleet Farm. I use Rotella T 15W40 in both my engine and transmission - so, about 9 quarts per oil change.

What's to research? Fortunately, Indmar has done all that research for you. Why would you want to second guess their recommendation about what oil to use in their engines?

As to the Valvoline Premium Blue that oil exceeds CH-4.......it meets API CJ-4, API CI-4 Plus, API CI-4, API CH-4,CG-4, CF-4, CF / SM. It's the latest stuff and will make Indmar very happy.

Thanks Bigmac,

Research....that's the same thought I had as well. I did double check a few of the MC owner's manuals and they all say the 15W40 from 2002 up. I think I'm pretty safe to go ahead with the Rotella. Thanks again.