PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell and Google Maps

ski_king
04-23-2005, 08:04 PM
WakeSeeky was talking about Lake Powell earlier today and how nice it is. I remember being in that area as a kid and how beautiful it was. It is on my list of places to go... sometime....

Check out the Google (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+Powell+ut&ll=37.047958,-111.268845&spn=0.304184,0.492325&t=k&hl=en) map/satellite image of that area. Zoom in and look around at the detail. You can see the dam and even see Rainbow Bridge!

Simple beautiful!!

aprgriggs
04-23-2005, 08:22 PM
they should have a MC reunion at Lake Powell...I would come from Texas.

WakeSeeky
04-23-2005, 08:33 PM
How cool, the Google satellite maps are so neat. And you betcha I'll be there if MC has a reunion at Powell! :headbang:

jpattigr
04-24-2005, 12:00 AM
This is funny as I was just shown last night these maps and images on google of Powell.
We have four families coming down in mid May for our first ever trip there all the way from Alberta. We are hualing our boats with RV's and are looking forward to a great week exploring the lake.
Three weeks and counting!! :smile:

ski_king
04-24-2005, 12:24 AM
That sounds great jpattigr! Bring back lots of pictures for us!

WakeSeeky
04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
This is funny as I was just shown last night these maps and images on google of Powell.
We have four families coming down in mid May for our first ever trip there all the way from Alberta. We are hualing our boats with RV's and are looking forward to a great week exploring the lake.
Three weeks and counting!! :smile:

I'm jealous!! It'll be later in the summer before I can get there... if we can put a trip together this year. Have a wonderful trip, it's really a beautiful place. And I definitely second the pictures!

jpattigr
04-24-2005, 01:06 PM
It started out as just my family and has ended up being a caravan of 4 families now. Should be great!
We are open to any suggestions on places to see or visit?

WakeSeeky
04-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Where are you launching from? Hite or Bullfrog, I'd guess? We launch from Wahweap or Stateline, and usually camp near Dangling Rope. Campsites vary from year to year with the water levels, but it's not hard to find a nice cove. Here's a link to the best maps I know of online (there may be better) http://www.riverlakes.com/powlmaps.htm.

Rainbow Bridge is beautiful, it's a bit of a hike from the dock with the water so low, but last time I was there the trail was very well maintained and it was an easy walk. Cathedral in the Desert is just magical, and very worth seeing if you're anywhere near that part of the lake. Near Cathedral Canyon are Indian ruins and a really shockingly narrow trail where Mormon pioneers managed to get wagons and livestock down into the canyon, all worth checking out. All of this can be visited in an easy day trip from Dangling Rope. I know it will take you longer from the north end of the lake, but I'd be making it up if I told you how much longer. No matter where you go, though, there are amazing canyons and coves, even if they're not "famous", so you really can't go wrong. :D

NeilM
04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
' been thinking of doing the same.. Let me know how you make out!

jpattigr
04-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Neil,

We are leaving on May 12 for Powell with 4 RV's towing our boats and with this current change of Calgary weather, it won't be soon enough!

You should hitch up a ride and boat and come along! If not I will post a few shots upon my return and maybe we will finally hook up at Ghost some night and discuss over a beverage!

WakeSeeky
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Came across this site with some nice pictures of Cathedral in the Desert:

http://www.lakepowell.org/page_two/what_s_new/cathedral_in_desert.html

Yes, I'm ready to go to Powell!!

WakePowell
05-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Jpattigr Have you decided where on Lake Powell you are headed? We will be at Bullfrog from May 13th to the 15th for our first trip of the year. I am hoping the water warms up a bit over the next few weeks. Right now it is at 59 degrees.