PDA

View Full Version : Water in Starter

stuartmcnair
07-28-2008, 12:41 AM
My boat took a lot of water in a recent storm and the starter was full of water.

Starter would only spin and would not push the starter drive gear to the flywheel. We pulled it out and sprayed it with WD-40 and it engages now but what do I need to watch out for? Should I go ahead and replace it?

Thanks for the help.

denverd1
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Did the same thing a few years ago, and mine is still going strong. It was beginning to sound like the battery was low while it cranked, but hasn't done that in a while.

JLeuck64
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I won't tell ya how my starter ended up under water (long story)

I pulled mine out and COMPLETELY disassembled it to clean and lubricate it. I was surprised at how much gunk was inside it...

Been working fine since I did that a couple of years ago. If you tackle this yourself take LOTS of pictures for memory joggers.

stuartmcnair
07-28-2008, 02:55 PM
well, "spraying it with WD-40" is about like saying I got "misted standing under Niagara Falls"...we used two and a half cans of WD-40 by the time all was said and done...

seems to be working fine now but I am concerned that there was no seal and that I might need to replace the bendix. I will probably do it anyway at the end of the season.

rob935
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
you did the right thing pulling it out and spraying it with the wd40 , may be a good idea to strip it down and rebuild it over the winter for peace of mind , i had similar problems few years back pulled starter and gave it a thorough clean put it back in and had it working fine but it burnt out shortly afterwards ...

uawaterskier
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
if it aint broke dont fix it.