PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak now Water in Oil

Gamble
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Guys, had a great weekend. Boat ran great, cool and good oil psi. 83 s/s with 351W. Once dad got boat on trailer I raised the engine cover and noticed water dripping from hose adjacent to raw water pump. This is a 3 inch piece of hose that connects to an elbow, then about a 5 inch hose runs up to the thermostat housing. The 2 inch hose near the raw water pump goes into the block. It had a hole in it....and apparently leaked a huge amount of water out all weekend! I got hurt at work-got hit on my city motorcycle and have a broken leg and ankle and wasn't able to run the boat, so I couldn't see it til I got it home and ran it on a garden hose. I checked dipstick, and have water in the block......too coincidental to me. I've never had water in it before. This is on a fresh oil change. Oil is milky. Judging from how much water spewed from the hose at idle on a garden hose, the whole engine had to have been doused and prolly sat in water before it was bilged out. Tell me what you think. I'm gonna get all the oil out, fix the hose, and hopefully fix the water in the oil problem. Could this leaky hose cause the water to get in the motor? Boat was run for about 10 or so hours, and I can only assume it leaked the entire time. Other than that, it ran like a champ. Thanks in advance.

topdog
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Is there water in the cylinders or just in the oil pan. If just in oil pan i would think that perhaps the intake manifold gasket is defective. If in the cylinders you might have internal cracks in the exhaust manifolds.

Gamble
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
so far as I can tell, it's in the oil pan, and when I took off the breather cover, it's up in the valve covers too. There had to be a huuuuge amount of water all in and around the engine from this water leak. It's all too coincidental that I've never had water in the oil, and now with this huge water leak, I do. When I changed the oil 2 months ago, I replaced the sea water pump and changed the gaskets on the risers. This weekend was the first time since the oiil change/water pump and gasket change. Apparently the hose leaked the entire weekend, dousing everything! It even sprayed up on top of the valve covers. I just think it's weird that I have water all over everything, included in the oil........thoughts?

Gamble
07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
from what I've been able to find out........it seems that I may have sucked water up into the spark arrestor and then into the motor........sure is odd that with this gigantic water leak, and now water in the oil for the first time....hopefully after I change the oil several times after fixing the water leak, it'll fix the problem.

Gamble
07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
well, all is normal now.......as far as I can tell. Changed oil and filter 2 times. All appears fine. I fixed the water leak. It appears some water may have been sucked down the spark arrestor or up near the top of the valve cover where you put the oil in. No water in oil after being run for about an hour on the water hose.

denverd1
07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
wow. Hope everything stays where it is and you found your problem. Tough engines, i would say.

ski_king
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Something dosn't seem to add up here.

I hope all is ok now, but.... not sure......

Gamble
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, based upon what I've seen and have talked to others about........this motor has never had water in it. I"ve also never had a water leak of this magnitude.....ever. Due to it being used on a fresh oil change, having a gigantic shower in the engine compartment for the entire weekend....it didn't come as a surprise that when I fixed the leak, drained the oil twice.....that no water is in the oil......I agree, I hope I fixed it.......but something tells me that if I had a problem after all that I've done to it, I would have noticed it after running it on the water hose for over an hour after I fixed the leak. Everyone I"ve spoken to says if there's a water issue in the oil, you'll know about it ASAP!

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Please don't hesitate to keep us informed after future outings, we're glad you consider it fixed!

BriEOD
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, no way that is fixed.

I went through this before on my old boat. It could be a few things. Hopefully, it is just your intake manifold gasket. However, you could have a bad intake manifold (happened to me--the minerals just ate away one of the jackets and water got through). You could have a bad head gasket, or a bad head.

Gamble
07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, usually with a blown head gasket, it'd overheat. Mine ran at 140 the whole weekend. I've also been told with a blown head gasket or head, compression would be low. Mine is just fine. So, I kinda ruled them out. With the intake manfold issue described above.......wouldn't it continue to leak if was bad? I'm just having a tough time with this. I've never had this issue, and never had a water leak like this. I wish I could have forwarded a video of it! I've run it again for 3 hours, and all is checking out fine.........

ski_king
07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
How about the exaust flaps?

I have heard that if they don't close, a good wake or wave can backwash water into the engine. (but I wiould think that would hydrolock the engine, unless it set a while before starting.)

I just have a hard time that much water can come in thru the spark arrester and oil fill in the valve cover.
Edit: A direct hit from the hose up under the oil filler may let this much water in.

BriEOD
07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Mine happened a time or two after de-winterazation on a 1987 PS 190. I pulled the dipstick and it was milky. However, it ran fine. I recall I had changed the exhaust manifolds and thought it might have something to do with that. I continued to run it (the long block had less than 75 hours on it) and conduct subsequent oil changes with no luck. To make a long story short, with the help of JimN, I was able to discern that the jacket between my intake manifold and the water pump was allowing water to leak past the jacket and down into the top of the motor and subsequently into the oil. The metal had just eroded away enough that it was letting a little bit of water through. The boat continued to run flawlessly. Once I put a new intake manifold and gasket on, along with removing the valve covers and getting on the "milk" out of the motor, it ran like a top.

I'd take it out and run in and check to oil for milk-iness. Maybe it was some anamolie. I'm not a mechanic for PCM or Indmar, but I have been on this site for a lot of years. I've never read about someone having a hose leak that caused milky oil.

Where there is smoke there is fire...

Gamble
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I agree.....it's weird. I've done all I can on my end, and have had 3 different mechanics cuss and discuss it too. They've all said that with this water leak, it's quite possible some water got into it. I've also been told just a little water will make it milky.....so, it may not have been much. It's been run for 3 plus hours, and the erl in it is just golden like new. If it had a leaky arse gasket, wouldn't it continue to leak? Oil psi is around 50 on the hose. it's usually a little less in the water, due to it running around 125 on the hose and 140 in the lake. All the guages read right and it's idle/running like a champ! It's baffled me too!! Thanks for all the replies guys.