PDA

View Full Version : Wings of Gold!

puck_11
07-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Well 2 years, 250 hours, and $2 million later I finally earned my Wings of Gold! I found out that I will be flying the Ea-6b Prowler out of Whidbey Island, WA. Whidbey is my first choice in places to live (way better than Lemoore, CA), but the Prowler isn't exactly anyones first choice ;) haha. When you join the Navy you learn that everything comes down to the needs of the Navy and it's all about timing! Getting the prowler is kind of like all of your buddies getting sports cars with the F-18 and then your parents give you the keys to the minivan :cool: But I'm excited to fly it, its a different mission, you have 1 pilot and 3 NFOs running an electronic attack mission, taking out radar sites and jamming radar and communications. The best part of it is, its replacement is right on the horizon in the EA-18 Growler which is a super hornet, and what I've always wanted to fly.

bcampbe7
07-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Congrats Puck! Very cool!

That is way cooler than the 1999 Nissan Altima that I drive to work every day! :D

Congrats again and thanks for keeping the great USA safe!

coz
07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Well 2 years, 250 hours, and $2 million later I finally earned my Wings of Gold! I found out that I will be flying the Ea-6b Prowler out of Whidbey Island, WA. Whidbey is my first choice in places to live (way better than Lemoore, CA), but the Prowler isn't exactly anyones first choice ;) haha. When you join the Navy you learn that everything comes down to the needs of the Navy and it's all about timing! Getting the prowler is kind of like all of your buddies getting sports cars with the F-18 and then your parents give you the keys to the minivan But I'm excited to fly it, its a different mission, you have 1 pilot and 3 NFOs running an electronic attack mission, taking out radar sites and jamming radar and communications. The best part of it is, its replacement is right on the horizon in the EA-18 Growler which is a super hornet, and what I've always wanted to fly.

WOW!!! :eek3: Congratulations and best of luck in your new adventure :toast:

Way to go SIR!

http://www.midwaysailor.com/military/salute.jpg

Hrkdrivr
07-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Congrats Puck, and welcom to the fraternity!

The prowler is a great airplane and you'll love it...very cool and very impotant mission. You'll be WAY up front in any future fight, slugging it out w/the SAMs so the other missions can get in. It takes big brains and big you-kow-whats to prosecute that mission.

And you're right, the next logical step is the Growler...whoa, what a plane!!

BriEOD
07-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats...have you been to SERE yet? Oh boy is it fun. :rolleyes:

Willski
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Congrats....and thanks.

TMCNo1
07-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Congratulations and we are proud of you! Thanks for the job you do!

Gonzo
07-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Congrats... now bigger boat bigger payload right? you may be out of dog fighting, but you sure run the operation and kick the crap out of their radar to boot (if Wikipedia has it right ;) )

Cloaked
07-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Thank you US tax payers.

shepherd
07-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you US tax payers.

You're welcome!

Congrats Puck. Sure beats working in an office.

bridomine99
07-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Congratulations Mike!

Let me know next time you in town and we'll have to try and get out on the water.

Brian

Monte
07-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Congrats Puck.. Thanks for your service..

Sodar
07-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Congrats, Puck!

When do you relocate to the West Coast?

Jim@BAWS
07-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll make you a deal. All the pulls that you want for one week here at BAWS behind anyboat anytime of the day...You give me a 15 MIN ride in any of those jets. I promise I won't puke
I will even throw in a CASE of 40th Anniversary Books

AWESOME AND CONGRATS...thanks for your service

VOTE MCCAIN !!!!

Jim@BAWS

Well 2 years, 250 hours, and $2 million later I finally earned my Wings of Gold! I found out that I will be flying the Ea-6b Prowler out of Whidbey Island, WA. Whidbey is my first choice in places to live (way better than Lemoore, CA), but the Prowler isn't exactly anyones first choice ;) haha. When you join the Navy you learn that everything comes down to the needs of the Navy and it's all about timing! Getting the prowler is kind of like all of your buddies getting sports cars with the F-18 and then your parents give you the keys to the minivan :cool: But I'm excited to fly it, its a different mission, you have 1 pilot and 3 NFOs running an electronic attack mission, taking out radar sites and jamming radar and communications. The best part of it is, its replacement is right on the horizon in the EA-18 Growler which is a super hornet, and what I've always wanted to fly.

puck_11
07-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone! Anyone live up in Whidbey, or around the Seattle area? I need to get used to cold water again, I've been spoiled by the hot weather of Texas for the last two years. To answer BriEODs question, I should be going to SERE shortly. Really looking forward to that kick in the nuts.

Bruce
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
My congrats as well! I'm also green with envy. I was with the 2nd Marine Air Wing and just as I was getting out CO talked me into the NAVCAD program. I was accepted but chickened out when I asked what happens if I washed out. They said you will owe the black shoe navy 4 yrs of your life. As a Marine that was high risk so, I went back to college. I won't say what year that was but our first line was F86's. We even still had a few Banshees around! Again well done and thank you for your service!!

atlfootr
07-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Congrats, Puck!
We'll all be wait'n on your next movie ....

TOP GUN II

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/topgun260507_468x545.jpg

Quote from Top Gun
Maverick: "You don't have time to think up there". "If you think, you're dead".

atlfootr
07-27-2008, 03:29 PM
'Wings Of Gold' would make even a better title, dont' cha think :rolleyes:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=38184&stc=1&d=1217128165

flipper
07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Congrats, and thank you for what you do!!!!

dapicatti
07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Congrats~ we live in Eastern WA, and see planes from Whidbey buzz the Columbia River quite regularly. (12 minute round trip) Get used to 50 degree water and wetsuits...but its all good.

Thank you for all that you do for us.

MexicoBlue
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations.

And as everyone else has already said, thank you for your service.

trickskier
07-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Congratulations!!! :D