PDA

View Full Version : x-star no fuel pump????

scottyb
07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a 2004 x-star with the mcx 350. I have no power feeding the fuel pump and also have no injector pulse? I was wondering if anyone knows were they pick up the signal for the injectors? I would assume off a crank trigger. right by my harmonic balancer there is a open plug that looks like it would be the crank triger but no plug to be found? Any suggestions

coz
07-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a 2004 x-star with the mcx 350. I have no power feeding the fuel pump and also have no injector pulse? I was wondering if anyone knows were they pick up the signal for the injectors? I would assume off a crank trigger. right by my harmonic balancer there is a open plug that looks like it would be the crank triger but no plug to be found? Any suggestions

This has been a popular topic lately :confused: did your boat run out of gas or do you let your fuel level dip below a 1/4 tank when riding? I figured someone would ask :popcorn:

scottyb
07-27-2008, 03:25 AM
No, I'm not stupid. The fuel pump runs. I jumped the pump and the fuel pump relay. I can run the pump manualy and crank it over but I'm not getting any pulse it the injectors. I could really use a wiring diagram or the ecm . I have not been able to locate any wiring diagrams anywere.

bigmac
07-27-2008, 07:59 AM
When the pump is running, how much fuel pressure is it generating at the fuel rail?

As to wiring diagrams, there are none that are publicly available. There are a few guys here that have been or are boat service techs, a few dealers, and at least one Indmar engineer. Maybe they'll chip in if they see the post.

Engine Nut
07-27-2008, 09:05 AM

I have attached a diagram for you. The signal that turns on the pump and fuel injectors during the crank cycle originates in the pickup coil in the distributor which feeds its signal into the ignition module in the distributor which feeds the ECM. Do you get a Tach reading during crank? How about spark? If so, the P/U coil and ignition module are probably working. The green/white wire from the fuel pump relay to the ECM gets grounded by the ECM to turn the fuel pump relay on. If the P/U coil and ign module are OK and the realy and wiring is OK, you might have a bad fuel pump driver in the ECM.

chico
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Verify that the efi system relay is functioning,2 reds a pink and a black wire,check the grounds,check the 3 fuses next to the ecu,one is for the ignition/injectors,one for the pump,one for the ecu

scottyb
07-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Thank you so much for the diagram, least now I have a referance to go off of. I have spark, but no tach reading during crank. I get a pulse off the purple/white wire from the ignition module . No pulse out of ecm. I am thinking the ecm might be bad. Is that a common problem? If I get a new one will I need to get it maped for my boat or do they come ready to go?

Again Thank you very much for the help.
Scott

JimN
07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
If the fuel pump can be made to work, has the pressure been checked?

scottyb- if you have a test light that uses LED instead of a light bulb, probe at the injectors for voltage (the A terminal). If you remove the plugs from the injectors, you can use a DVM, too. Once you know which wire has voltage, check the other wires for an intermittent grounding pulse (do a visual to see if the clips are intact or spread, then correct whatever is needed). If you get nothing, put the wires back on the injectors and with the key ON, use a wire to connect the wire to a good ground and to the grounding side of the plug (the B terminal). This will verify that the injectors work and since the pump has primed the line, you should still have pressure. If this works, do a continuity test from the clip to the ECM, to hopefully eliminate the ECM as the cause.

"right by my harmonic balancer there is a open plug that looks like it would be the crank trigger but no plug to be found?"

Does this plug have a twin on the same bracket? Has anyone worked on the boat since it ran properly and was this work in the same area? A missing crank sensor would definitely keep it from running. Do you have a way to post a photo of the empty plug?

scottyb
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I tested all the injectors individually. They all check out. I did a continuity test of the the injector harness and from the injector plugs to the ecm. That all seams fine. I Guess they replaced the motor and tranny in the boat b4 I got it. I really don't know to much of the boats history. I bought it without it running. I took a pic of the open crank sensor, I hope I can get it posted:

scottyb
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I just went and picked up a ignition module and didn't change a thing

JimN
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Keep looking on the motor for part of the harness that may be tied back, out of the way. If you didn't run it and the place that replaced the motor didn't plug the harness into the sensor, they couldn't have run it, either.

If they said anything about how it runs, they misrepresented it.

scottyb
07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I looked for about 4 hours for a harness to plug in to the crank sensor with no luck.

JimN
07-27-2008, 05:59 PM
If there's no plug, I would call MC and tell them what the hull number is, so they can look up the original build specs.

I would also have a bit of a "chat" with whoever you bought it from to find out why they built a Franken-boat and didn't run it.

Where are you located?

Engine Nut
07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I tested all the injectors individually. They all check out. I did a continuity test of the the injector harness and from the injector plugs to the ecm. That all seams fine. I Guess they replaced the motor and tranny in the boat b4 I got it. I really don't know to much of the boats history. I bought it without it running. I took a pic of the open crank sensor, I hope I can get it posted:

That crank sensor is not used on your engine. Actualy we built engines for several years that had that sensor but we didn't start using it on the MCX till 2006 when we changed distributors.

JimN
07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I thought the MCX had the DIS.

OK, scratch my comments about whoever you bought it from, but I still think I would contact them.

scottyb
07-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Well I farted around with it all day and I am pretty pure I came to the conclusion that the ecm is bad. I would really like to be able to test it somehow so I am positive b4 I go and buy a $800 computor. Do you think if I took it in to the dealer they would be able to run a diagnostic and give me a definite answer?
I really appreciate all the help from you guys, Nice to know there are people out there willing to give up a little time to help a fellow MC nut out. I'll let you know if I come up will anything. Thanks again

JimN
07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
They can hook it up to their diagnostic computer but you'd probably get a more definitive answer from Indmar. You could overnight it to them and they're usually pretty fast about answering.

Maybe the closest dealer would be willing to install it in a boat to see if it works in that one.

Engine Nut
07-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Well I farted around with it all day and I am pretty pure I came to the conclusion that the ecm is bad. I would really like to be able to test it somehow so I am positive b4 I go and buy a $800 computor. Do you think if I took it in to the dealer they would be able to run a diagnostic and give me a definite answer?
I really appreciate all the help from you guys, Nice to know there are people out there willing to give up a little time to help a fellow MC nut out. I'll let you know if I come up will anything. Thanks again

For a dealer to be able to test your ECM he would either need to have your boat or another boat that had the same wiring harness and then he would have to go through the whole fuel pump diagnostic procedure to find out. Thete is no trouble code that gets stored in the ECM for the fuel pump driver. If you want to send it to Indmar to be checked we can check it let you know if the fuel pump driver is working or not. PM me with your e-mail address and I will give you info on how to send it to us.