PDA

View Full Version : Drum Brake Repair Help Needed

DAinAZ
04-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I am trying to check my drum brakes and I can't get the drums off. How do they come off? I jacked up the trailer and took the wheel off, but the drum won't budge. Is there a special tool or something I need to remove first? There are bearing buddies on the trailer.

Attached are pictures of the front and rear of the drum.

Background: It is on a single axle 1992 Mastercraft trailer. Not that it matters, but it carries a 1992 Prostar 190.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom023
04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
You need to remove the Bearing Buddy, cotter pin, retaining nut and washer to pull the drums off. One set of bearings will drop out when you pull the drum. If you are not familiar with the set up, you may want to get the help of someone who is, because adjusting the bearings when reinstalling the drums is a little bit of art and science to get them just right.

DAinAZ
04-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Is the Bearing Buddy screw on or press on? I guess the rest is like a car axle then? I've done a car axle, but wasn't familiar with the Bearing Buddy on there.

Tom023
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Pressed on in most cases. I think BB does make a screw on model. You are correct, the axle is then like a car so you should be fine, but this may help too.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs.htm

jake
04-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I did this last year....one quick tip that would have saved me some time. Back the shoes off as much as possible before trying to pull the drums off. If they've been on there for a while, there may be a groove in the drum that will prevent it from sliding off easily.

I may be telling you something you know, so apologize if that is the case, but this tip would have saved me a lot of pounding and swearing.

DAinAZ
04-23-2005, 08:35 PM
... but this may help too.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs.htm

Thanks for the help. I think I'm good now. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble. I can't do it right now because a storm has rolled in and it is raining and lightening out. That and the fact that the trailer is parked on the side of my house in the dirt (now mud) with the actuator pulled off!

stevoh20
04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Not that you want to know, this but if your '92 brakes and actuator are even 1/2 as bad as mine were, you got a whole lotta decisions ahead of you. This winter I decided that I would do this once (replace) and I will monitor my set-up so it will hopefully last 5-10 years.

I bought an entirely new actuator, and have replaced the entire drum set-up with Stainless Steel Disc brakes. I am about 3/4 of the way done and am waiting on new brakeline to be shipped to complete the system. If you are going to hang on to you boat, you may consider this option. If you need insight, I will try to help.