PDA

View Full Version : Whose installed a Raw Water Strainer????

dummy
07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Just installed one on my '00 Maristar. Easy install, but my question has to do with the nylon barbed fittings that screw into the strainer.

Did anybody find the need to put pipe dope or Teflon tape on the fitting threads to prevent leaks? Mine came from West Marine with the fittings already installed. I just gave 'em a few more cranks to tighten them up and then installed it. Didn't think to pull the fittings for sealant until after it was in there.

My water inlet is right under the trailer board, so I can't use a fake lake or shoot a hose in there to test. And I don't have a hose fitting installed in the inlet hose yet. I'd rather know if I need to put some type of sealant on those suckers now while the boat is in my driveway and not next week when I'm at Havasu.

Thanks.

chico
07-26-2008, 06:22 PM
I would take them out and teflon them if youre not sure,you don`t want an leak in the suction line you may introduce air in that line.not good for the pump.

Skipper
07-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I used teflon with my installation. Just an added measure to keep it sealed properly.

Chief
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Teflon used on mine

dummy
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks all. Just got off the lake and it seemed to work fine without teflon. The fittings and strainer threads were both nylon and I gunned them down pretty good. Water temp stayed steady at 160 all day and no leaks or bubbles present in the strainer.

I'll pull it apart and put some Teflon tape on there just for good measure when I get a little time, though. Little peace of mind goes a long way in the middle of a big lake.

dummy
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Just wanted to follow up with a quick note of thanks. Noticed a little more water than usual in the storage area during the last outing I mentioned above. My 19-month old switched off the bilge pump while we were out, so I attributed it to that. Am prepping to leave for Havasu tomorrow and noticed the strainer fitting threads were still wet. Wouldn't have checked it if not for the posts above.

Just got done pulling that sucker out and sealing the fitting threads with Teflon. I'll feel much better now.