PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bikes

TCrate
04-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Are there any dirt bike riders out there. I am looking for a dirt bike for my 9 year old. Trying to decide between a clutchless vs a clutch. He has never ridden before but I think he can handle a clutch. I am more worried about the power. I have been looking at an 80 or a 90.

bradamerry
04-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I had a Honda CR80 @ 12 yrs. old and it had too much power for me then.... It was a 2-stroke with powerband and would go about 55mph in about 75 yards!!!

André
04-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Agree.
For a 9 years old.50 cc would be plenty i think and clutchless would help him get use to it.
Two stroke 90 could send him flying,those things really accelerate fast.

bradamerry
04-23-2005, 04:06 PM
There is a track about one mile from our deer camp. One of the local kids (12 yrs. old) is riding a 2-stroke 80 or 90 and beating 16 to 17 yr. olds on 2-stroke 125s...

JEREMY79
04-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I got my first bike when I was 7. It was a honda 50 z. (I think) If you dont get him on something with a clutch now you will just have to teach him later. I rode that bike for a while then I had an YZ 80. then a RM 125. Now I am looking for a RM 250

aprgriggs
04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I got my first bike when I was 7. It was a honda 50 z. (I think) If you dont get him on something with a clutch now you will just have to teach him later. I rode that bike for a while then I had an YZ 80. then a RM 125. Now I am looking for a RM 250

right on...plus I think you have more control with a clutch.

Tom Jones
04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
My son is a major dirt biker, started him on a Suzuki DR80 2 stroke, then went to a Honda XR100 for a year. Then he upgraded to a Kawasaki KX100 2 stroke (huge difference between the two stroke and 4 stroke). We recommend that you definitely go with the clutch and 4 stroke to start. Within a year he will outgrow it and want something faster. Maybe then you can look at a 2 stroke.
Go with the XR100 (if his toes can touch the ground) and not an XR80. Better resale value.

DanC
04-23-2005, 07:47 PM
If you are track riding, then a clutch. 2 stroke or 4 stroke really depends on what your future plans are.
If you are trail riding, definitely start with a clutchless. Get a used XR-70. You can sell it for the same price a year later. I do not recommend the PW-80, it is too soft and bends easily. PW-50 or XR-50 (50Z? now) are both excellent bikes if you kid is small. There are many things for a kid to learn and the frustration level can get very high very quickly. It is no fun stalling in a creek, stalling it five times in a row on a hill, or trying to find neutral on a single-track hill. YOUR frustration level will also be lower. Clutchless will allow the kid (and you) to focus on learning how to RIDE.

I had one son learn on an XR-80 (great bike, great gearing, sold it for the same price I bought it 3 years later) and one son learn on a PW-80 (good bike but he bent the hell out of it jumping). The son on the X-80 (clutch) beat the crap out of the gear box. The son on the PW-80 (clutchless) was a much happier riding companion :purplaugh

TCrate
04-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the input. He is not going to be racing, so I think I am going to lean towards clutchless and get him started with that.

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Start off small, you don't want them to get hurt, but teach them the clutch right away otherwise they will never want to switch.

lakes Rick
04-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Opinions are like A$$ holes, everyone has em and they all stink..

I have had two sons ride bikes and quads..Started them on NO clutch NO shift, went to clutchless, then to clutch bikes...

I found they were ready and wanted to change up to a clutch when they became bored with with the smaller bike or quad...

We forget its supposed to be all about FUN, at least at first, not raising the next J. McGrath..... NOTHING less fun for a kid getting frustrated trying to master a clutch his first time out.. LOTS of used bikes out there until you/he figure out what he really wants to ride..

Their only young once, have fun with em while you can.....

jpattigr
04-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Any small Honda will work awesome. If he is excited the clutch / clutchless issue will be gone in a couple of hours. It is usually harder just to get them change gears at all!! The motor will scream like a banshee for the first little while. My buddies son has the Suzuki PW 80 and it's a good bike also, but I prefer the small 4 strokes to learn.

Good luck, Have fun

captkidd
04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a lot of good advice. My brother and I started out on mini-bikes (without brakes) many, many moons ago, and then graduated to Honda CT-70 automatics (almost more of a scooter than a trail bike, but we rode the heck out of those things), and on to XL-100's and then to a CR-125 (me) and a YZ-125 (him). Riding dirt bikes was definitely the most fun I had while growing up.

I side with those who recommend a clutchless (automatic) bike to start on. Going clutchless will make it easier to learn, and that will definitely increase his enjoyment. There's nothing that scares a kid into quitting faster than getting dumped off the back because he popped the clutch and had the bike wheelie out from under him (or over on top of him). It also really needs to be appropriately sized (physically and power-wise); if it's too small or too big (or too powerful), it will be harder to ride and he may become frustrated and quit.

I certainly would not buy a new bike because he's probably going to outgrow it physically and skill-wise pretty quickly, so you can get your money back out of a used bike more easily. After he masters riding the underpowered clutchless bike, then upgrade to a more powerful, clutched bike with a better suspension, etc.

bradamerry
04-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a lot of good advice. My brother and I started out on mini-bikes (without brakes) many, many moons ago, and then graduated to Honda CT-70 automatics (almost more of a scooter than a trail bike, but we rode the heck out of those things), and on to XL-100's and then to a CR-125 (me) and a YZ-125 (him). Riding dirt bikes was definitely the most fun I had while growing up.

I side with those who recommend a clutchless (automatic) bike to start on. Going clutchless will make it easier to learn, and that will definitely increase his enjoyment. There's nothing that scares a kid into quitting faster than getting dumped off the back because he popped the clutch and had the bike wheelie out from under him (or over on top of him). It also really needs to be appropriately sized (physically and power-wise); if it's too small or too big (or too powerful), it will be harder to ride and he may become frustrated and quit.

I certainly would not buy a new bike because he's probably going to outgrow it physically and skill-wise pretty quickly, so you can get your money back out of a used bike more easily. After he masters riding the underpowered clutchless bike, then upgrade to a more powerful, clutched bike with a better suspension, etc.
Captain you are good :worthy: !!!! I agree with the Captain..

River Rat
04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Buy him a wakeboard and spend time on the water!!! :D :D

rem_p
04-25-2005, 04:06 PM
yea good advice from the capt. i only had one dirtbike honda xr 100...i had a buddy that had a xr80 and his used to out run mine all the time...his sat higher of the ground and was more of a race bike than just a beginer trail bike...i was 11 when i got that thing, had a fourwheeler since i was 5, so i was use to the riding and gear changing, but sometimes i would forget about the clutch when riding....sure was fun back in the day. :cool:

AirJunky
04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Just bought an '81 Honda XL185S. The last dirt bike I rode was BMX & the last street bike was in 1990. We moved to a small town in the desert in WA so this bike should be fun to poke around town & boonie around on. Runs great & only cost me $500.

DanC
04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Just bought an '81 Honda XL185S. The last dirt bike I rode was BMX & the last street bike was in 1990. We moved to a small town in the desert in WA so this bike should be fun to poke around town & boonie around on. Runs great & only cost me $500.

That XL is the perfect putter. We had the older kids of relatives run on an XL250. Had the biggest front wheel you have ever seen. Nice and stable for beginners on the trails. :dance:

Ric
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
That XL reminds me of some fun times LONG ago!

TCrate
04-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Decision made. I bought an XR-70 off of Ebay. Got a good deal. He gets it in two weeks for his birthday. I think this will suffice for a year or two then we can upgrade. Now looks like the old man is going to have to buy one. Cant let him ride alone.

PS already has a wakeboard!!

DanC
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Decision made. I bought an XR-70 off of Ebay. Got a good deal. He gets it in two weeks for his birthday. I think this will suffice for a year or two then we can upgrade. Now looks like the old man is going to have to buy one. Cant let him ride alone.

PS already has a wakeboard!!

Lucky!

(must be 10 characters)

erkoehler
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
So, you buy the kid a bike so you can get one for yourself????

charlie Law
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
My 9 year old rides a ttr 90. It is a good fit for him, if he brings a guest he can ride his brothers xr 100 but he does not like the clutch. I bought a ttr 125 for myself. It does not have much power but I can keep up with the kids on it. I bought a 4 wheeler for my wife for Valentine's day so she would not be left at home when we ride. She threatens to trade it in for a diamond ring when we leave her behind on the trails. These 4 strokes are almost indestructable and perfect for riding the hunting trails close to our lake house.

jj209
04-28-2005, 11:10 PM
First bike was a Honda ST90 clutchless 3 speed. If he is going to be riding w/ friends I would suggest an 80-100cc 4 stroke w/ clutch. My experience is a clutch can get you up and out of alot of binds an auto cannot. Plus the 4 stroke will not be too much power to learn on. As well learning a clutch now only helps when he turns 16 and wants 4 wheels rather than 2.

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Anybody have any ATV's?

lakes Rick
04-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Anybody have any ATV's?

I ride a Suzuki Z-400. My son has a Kawasasaki 2 stroke dirt bike. Most of my friends ride Raptors, Banshees, and some Yamaha 450 quads. We live about an hour from the Oregon coast sand dunes..