PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the cover ON?

JerryS
03-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Sold the 06'. Delivering it on Tuesday. I'm gonna be driving 450 miles with it in the northeast. Then I'm turning around with my 07' with the same cover. Anyone have any input on long distance travelling with the MC Ratchet cover? I've heard it can rub on the top deck. Anyone have any advice? Should I use the tent poles?

What about adding some towels between top deck and cover - anyone done this?

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/197cover.jpg

Maristar210
03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
You'll find the majority of folks here will tow without the cover. The covers abrasive flapping and rubbing can do more harm than good. Having said that if there were a bunch of salt on the road that presents another issue. If it were me I would leave the cover off and go. It will get a little dirty for sure but the alternative is worse.

Good LucK!!

Edit:\

LOVE THE RED !!!!!!!

flipper
03-13-2008, 03:36 PM
You'll find the majority of folks here will tow without the cover. The covers abrasive flapping and rubbing can do more harm than good. Having said that if there were a bunch of salt on the road that presents another issue. If it were me I would leave the cover off and go. It will get a little dirty for sure but the alternative is worse.

Good LucK!!

Edit:\

LOVE THE RED !!!!!!!

I agree, and never tow with the cover.

Sodar
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Jerry, I have towed with the cover for a total of about 3500 miles thus far. I had a fleece "undercover" made for mine, but until I had that made, I used a bunch of blankets to protect the deck. The blankets worked great and should do you fine for the 450 mile journey. Also, I do not tow with the tent poles, they put alot of strain on a small area and I do not like that. Be sure to cinch the side and stern straps on the cover as tight as possible... they really help eliminate the flapping.

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
i don't like to tow with the cover for the simple fact that i can't see ANYthing behind me... just another thought... i have towed with it on and i would keep the poles up if you insist on pulling with it on as this will reduce the amount of cover that could flap in the wind and tear up as a result of doing so... good luck with the pull it should be a fun one... i've pulled a '93 maristar 225 w/ a '02 yukon xl 350 mi and it was not just a lot of fun making it through a metro area with that big boy

Power
03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I've not had good luck with towing covers. I think itís best to tow without a cover and try to time the weather for no rain. If you tow with the cover you may be in for damage to your fiberglass which can only be repaired by polishing the damaged fiberglass which will remove a small portion of your fiberglass gel coat.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I towed most of the time with the cover on, sometimes several hundred miles at a time. Can't think of any problems I had because of it. That boat's gone from my possession now, and I believe the present day owner is a member here, maybe he can chime in and let you know if the boats messed up because of it. Or the cover for that matter.

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Sodar
03-13-2008, 03:49 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Got any beer with ya!?!?!?? :rolleyes:

fintek9
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Steves right about the salt issue at this time of year. Myself I've towed both ways but take more "cushion caution" when ones on. But nothing better towing down the road with the MC a shinin for all to drool over (W/out cover!)

JLeuck64
03-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Towed my 98 from BAW's in Florida clear across the country to Oregon with out a cover. I might add, without any tie down straps on the back end either.

Just gave her a good scrubbing when I got home and dunked her bad a$$ in the lake!

That didn't sound right...

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
But nothing better towing down the road with the MC a shinin for all to drool over (W/out cover!)

you mean it was my boat this whole time and not ME!!!

drbesvold1
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
where does a person get a mc wratchet cover from?

Sodar
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
where does a person get a mc wratchet cover from?

Buy an '01 or newer and you can get one! :D

fintek9
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
you mean it was my boat this whole time and not ME!!!Took me along time to realize this too, It hurt the day it finally dawned on me:o

No Skeez
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Just a thought, but rather than having to worry about the towels or blankets slipping or falling out, what about lining the contact surface on the deck with shrink wrap tape?

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Beware, if you tow with a cover on the boat, Law Enforcement assumes your stoned and the boat of full of weed! You don't want no K-9 drug sniffer crawling all over your gelcoat and upholstery with those dirty feet pads and sharp toenails!

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Took me along time to realize this too, It hurt the day it finally dawned on me:o
I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY I DON'T BELIEVE IT... ::what if he's right... no couldn't be right... well it is a pretty sweet @$$ boat... maybe it's the truck... naa it's never clean... got to get rid of that darnn boat and see what happens...::

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Beware, if you tow with a cover on the boat, Law Enforcement assumes your stoned and the boat of full of weed! You don't want no K-9 drug sniffer crawling all over your gelcoat and upholstery with those dirty feet pads and sharp toenails!
That's right, keep the cover on to keep them out.

fintek9
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY I DON'T BELIEVE IT... ::what if he's right... no couldn't be right... well it is a pretty sweet @$$ boat... maybe it's the truck... naa it's never clean... got to get rid of that darnn boat and see what happens...::Ever tow another boat? I don't get the same looks towing the bass boat!...Except from toothless guys wearing COORS light hats! :uglyhamme:

east tx skier
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I towed all the way from Texas to St. Louis with no cover. Got some rain on the way, but it dried. I'd rather tell the new owner that the boat got a little wet than try to explain cover rash on the top deck.

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Ever tow another boat? I don't get the same looks towing the bass boat!...Except from toothless guys wearing COORS light hats! :uglyhamme:
may have to try that... hey and easy on the coors... it's a step up from what i usually drink on the water

drbesvold1
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Buy an '01 or newer and you can get one! :D sodar if i had ur deep pockets i could afford a 01 or newier :D

fintek9
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
may have to try that... hey and easy on the coors... it's a step up from what i usually drink on the waterWhat wine coolers and Zima????;)

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
What wine coolers and Zima????;)
yea... NO... Keystone Light... 30 'stones for 15 bones... a 30 pack will usually get me through a good long saturday

Sodar
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
sodar if i had ur deep pockets i could afford a 01 or newier :D

I don't have deep pockets... my pockets have holes through them.... does that count!?!? :D

I am sure that you could have a cover made and install a ratchet rather than a drawstring... for starters, call skiboatcovers.com and ask Mike if he can do something special for ya!

jkski
03-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I pretty much always tow with the cover on and have never had a problem...boat still looks new. I always use the tent poles to reduce any chance of flapping.
I tow with the cover on to avoid the inevitable rocks, debris, etc., that will come off the tries of other vehicels and land in my boat.....ever pass a semi that s throwing grease off the one of the wheels or go under a bridge that they are working on....
Good luck with the tow.

fintek9
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
yea... NO... Keystone Light... 30 'stones for 15 bones... a 30 pack will usually get me through a good long saturdayanything that fills my cooler is just fine with me but the bottle of Jager is my spotter!!:D

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Ever tow another boat? I don't get the same looks towing the bass boat!...Except from toothless guys wearing COORS light hats! :uglyhamme:

I know him, that's Earl Dean! He was at Wal-Mart in the Sporting Goods dept. Christmas shopping a few years back!8p

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
anything that fills my cooler is just fine with me but the bottle of Jager is my spotter!!:D
cheers at the bar on that one!!!... not on the water though instead of going upside down i tend to get a little sideways on jager

JerryS
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the input. My plan was to only use the cover in the rain or if road is still nasty. I towed it back 500 miles from Ohio in july when I bought it. Difference was it was sunny, 85 degrees, no salt-puddles-sand on the road. Did that w/o cover and zero issue.

The schedule is a little tight, so waiting for a wx window won't work. Looks like a 50 percent chance of showers for my drive home with my new boat. That one has the mini-tower and also has the ratchet cover.

I originally had the ratchet cover listed here for sale for about 4 months. No takers, so I listed it with the boat and someone liked the package :)

I had a custom snap cover made which had cleet pockets and strips for my bimini. Allowed me to leave bimini attached in booted position overnight. Also had nice fiberglass bows to prevent ponding. Certainly not roadworthy. Hate to see my $900 custom cover go, but I sold it with both covers.

Are the velcro patches necessary for trailering if I have side and stern straps cinched? This cover has been used very little.

Jerry

jaysus
03-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Some will cover the contact areas with saran wrap. Shrink tape will do the job too.

JerryS
03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I have some teflon tape that might do the job nicely.

Now.....anyone have input on where the critical contact areas are? Might need more tape :)

Jerry

Doug G
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I have towed several times with the cover including the 1200 + miles to and from CSM without problem. I don't like the road s..t in the boat or worrying about things blowing around / out. I did the towel padding for the CSM drive and use the poles to keep it tight.

russlars
03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
I have the MC ratcheting cover for my boat also and have towed with it several times. I would recommend putting some type of padding across the top edge of the windshield. There is a lot of stress in that area and it would be easy to rub a hole in the cover there.:twocents:

Jerseydave
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Another vote for no cover when trailering.

But if you do cover, get a few rolls of blue masking tape and cover any "high" areas above the rub rail, use towels or flannel sheets too.
Use the tent poles and cinch everything tight. You could also try round pipe insulation at the top of the windshield frame, works well.

My cover is currently getting a soft "liner" sewn into it, something similar to car cover material. I'm also adding (2) tie-down straps per side because on the X-star the cover tries to lift-up above the rub rail on the sides.

Where are you going in the northeast?

mbtka
03-15-2008, 03:01 AM
Sodar: Where did you get the fleece cover made?

TMCNo1
03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd just use a cover condom!

Sodar
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Sodar: Where did you get the fleece cover made?

A local cover shop did it.

mbtka
03-29-2008, 06:52 PM
thanks for the help

JerryS
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Ended up towing it down w/o the cover. Weather was nice. Boat was a filthy mess when I got it down there. New owner towed it from VA to TX from there.

Picked up my 07' last week in OH. Seller put a Malibu transhield cover on underneath the ratchet cover. That seemed to protect the upper deck pretty well. The vulnerable spots were where the buckles snap together at base of mini-tower legs. That was the only spot where I saw any rubbing.

TMCNo1
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Ended up towing it down w/o the cover. Weather was nice. Boat was a filthy mess when I got it down there. New owner towed it from VA to TX from there.

Picked up my 07' last week in OH. Seller put a Malibu transhield cover on underneath the ratchet cover. That seemed to protect the upper deck pretty well. The vulnerable spots were where the buckles snap together at base of mini-tower legs. That was the only spot where I saw any rubbing.

Next time, cram a clean rag or small folded towel behind the buckles and they will protect it!

Sodar
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I used to do what Harold suggested, but got fed up with spending so much time just to get the cover situated. Now, I throw my soft cover on the boat and then throw my MC tow cover over it. I had them put extra padding at the tower, windsheild and bow. It works great and the undercover will come in handy if I ever get stuck in the artic and need a nice soft blanket! :D

Here are some pics. I do not have any of it on the boat, but will get some.

mbtka
04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Sodar, I know that you had mentioned this before, but do you have a number of the place that made your soft cover?

thanks

dapicatti
04-19-2008, 07:01 PM
We had the dealer shrink wrap ours before we brought it home; they didn't want us driving so far with the ratchet cover.

daverbeck
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm going to be towing my '95 ProSport about 200 miles in August. I'm worried about losing seat cushions if I don't cover it (especially the back seat).

Anyone ever have any problems with losing cushions?

mbtka
04-20-2008, 11:06 PM
We've never had any problems with the cushions.

magnum
04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm going to be towing my '95 ProSport about 200 miles in August. I'm worried about losing seat cushions if I don't cover it (especially the back seat).

Anyone ever have any problems with losing cushions?
daverbeck, we just towed our x-star we just bought 2360 miles with no cover, luckly the weather was great, I did take the back cushions and put them inside the back storage compartment just to be safe since we did tow at night also and couldn't keep an eye on it

SPORTSMED-45
07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I would like to know if most people pull their boats with the covers on or off. I have heard some stories of seats flying out if you go too fast. I have also heard that the cover will scratch the side of the boat, especially on a black hull. Any advice will help, thanks guys.

endl
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I will pull mine very short distances. Usually only from storage to the house ect.

The only seat issue I have had on my 45 was the seat behind the driver seat wants to lift up while pulling down the hwy. I took my pfd and wedged it between the the driver seat and the L shaped seat and it keeps it tight with no movement. Also the middle back small seat/step area wants to raise when the seat is attached but with the seat off it stays down. I leave that cushion off all the time anyway for people to walk back and forth from the transom.

Roonie's
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
off. I pulled mine from MN to Spokane with the cover off the entire way. Even with the cinch down straps you will get gel coat rub and scratches. I know Sodar lined his with felt which is a good idea to stop the gel coat rub and scratches. I towed mine just to the dealer for the first time with cover on and I noticed a slight dull in one area from the cover even though I had it cinched down tight and no flapping.

On my long trip I put the teak swim platform on the back seats and tied it down so the seat cushions wouldn't fly out. Sometimes I will use blue tape and tape the cushions down so as not to lose them.

JimN
07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
That's not a trailering cover. For short trips, it's OK but it's really not made for long ones.

ShamrockIV
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Bad idea to trailer with the cover as the above members have already told u!!!!

u have a too nice a boat for that!!

#47of100TeamMC
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Off, Never have trailered with the cover on, and never will. Seen too many people buffing out scratches and such from their cover straps rubbing. Or sewing up covers that have torn on a sharp edge while getting flapped from the wind being pulled down the road. Even if it's raining, I will still not put the cover on when towing. :twocents:

SPORTSMED-45
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Great info guys, thank you very much......cover stays off.

SPORTSMED-45
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I always have the walk through door and window closed, hopefully this will help.

Muttley
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Off.

The cover is like sandpaper on the gel coat and tends to fray and tear.

Sodar
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I have turned my MC cover into the best tow cover I have had. It takes some modification and $$$$, but I love getting to the lake/river with the boat looking the same way it left my driveway.

Step 1:

Have an under cover made so those horrid swirl marks never occur! :D

Sodar
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Step 2:

Take off the cheesey 1/2" straps and sidebuckles and add another set of 1" straps with heavy duty ladder locks and leather backing.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A7EQWJocI/AAAAAAAADyg/Jp2Q5cAOIW8/s800/DSC02864.JPG

Step 3:

Crank the tension strap around the boat nice and taunt. Also, the most important straps on the whole boat are the 2 straps in the rear going to the rear eyes. They tension the cover to prevent ballooning. Look at any custom tow cover (Rankin, Custom Canvas, Harbor Marine, etc.) they all install heavy duty straps at the stern to pull the whole cover tight.

Also, I never store the boat with the tow cover. I have a storage cover to leave on it in storage. The elements & UV cause the degredation of the fabric and thread, which in turn cause it to fray.

TMCNo1
07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Step 2:

Take off the cheesey 1/2" straps and sidebuckles and add another set of 1" straps with heavy duty ladder locks and leather backing. (No pics yet, but here is where I added an additional strap.

Step 3:

Crank the tension strap around the boat nice and taunt. Also, the most important straps on the whole boat are the 2 straps in the read going to the rear eyes. They tension the cover to prevent ballooning. Look at any custom tow cover (Rankin, Custom Canvas, Harbor Marine, etc.) they all install heavy duty straps at the stern to pull the whole cover tight.

Also, I never store the boat with the tow cover. I bought a cheep storage cover to leave on it in storage. The elements & UV cause the degredation of the fabric and thread, which in turn cause it to fray.

No, no, no, Sodar, don't tow with the cover on! It turns the boat into a wing and it will fly off the trailer!:rolleyes::D

Sodar
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
No, no, no, Sodar, don't tow with the cover on! It turns the boat into a wing and it will fly off the trailer!:rolleyes::D

They are right. Straight out of the box, I would not tow with the cover. But after a little $$$$ and some thinking the stock cover has proved to be very useful and keeps the boat interior very clean.

ttu
07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
cam, what kind of $$$$ did the felt under cover run you?

Sodar
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
$400 .

TMCNo1
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
$400 .

That's a lot ot worn out sheets, blankets, rags, tennis balls and glued up carpet pieces!

Sodar
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
That's a lot ot worn out sheets, blankets, rags, tennis balls and glued up carpet pieces!

I value my time at about $100 per hour when on Vacation ($10 per hour normal :D)... dealing with that BS with the sheets, towels, blankets, etc. was taking FOREVER. I got fed up with it and did it.

Plus it will last the lifetime of the boat.

russlars
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I am not crazy about towing with my cover on either. However, what do you do when you have to put stuff in the boat for a long camping trip, etc.? Don't want things becoming airborne!

TX.X-30 fan
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Ever tow with a diesel and the cover off. The black will come off but ever inch of the interior gets some.

skeeler
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
If I am pulling the boat long distances, I will use my snap cover only. I have never had an issue with it coming un-done or leaving any marks.

endl
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Sodar has underwear for his boat...........now we have seen it all.:D

pepi
07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
On...but I have a fleece liner that goes under the entire cover so none of it actually makes contact with the boat.

bkblaida
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Like Sodar, I tow with a cover. I had a custom cover made and it has the soft lining at any point the cover touches the gelcoat. Never a mark on the boat. To help with ventilation I had three plastic vents installed where the poles go when parked as well as a 12" x 12" zip open screened vent to use on really hot days if I need to park in the sun. (I never tow with the poles installed). When we travel we fill the boat with all our supplies and there is no other way to protect against rain, dirt etc. 3 years and over 5,000 towed miles, always with the cover.
A good custom cover is worth every dollar spent. Our cover cost $800. Sounds expensive but was cut to fit every contour of the boat. You have invested thousands in the boat, to scrimp on the only protection your boats interior has just seems like bad math.

surfacetension
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I have an X2 and I have the rachect cover they say you can tow with it? Going to Lake George for the week what do you think cover on or off?

ttu
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
most will say no. i have towed with the exact cover a few times with no issues and NO scratches.

oh and mine is orange /black/white

flipper
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
There are a lot of threads on here about this. I never tow with the cover on, but some here do.

OhioX14
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I towed with that cover for almost a 1,000 miles on one trip and it did just fine. I'm a fan of towing with the cover on as I don't want to take a chance with seat cushions and other items blowing off the boat while heading down the highway.

I will say that, as much as I like the look of that cover, I had the dealer replace it the moment I got home with a custom cover with velcro cinches around the tower and plently of vents. I was very disappointed with the Mastercraft cover and the lack of thought that went into keeping a boat with a tower dry. When we used the cover off the trailer there was no way to cinch it around the tower and the boat got soaked. I also thought the ratchet was a pain in the a$$!

surfacetension
07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
My boat stays in the garage all year except for this week , The cover is alot of things but it does not keep the water out ( Around the towers) I'm going to go with the cover on. by the way TTU I like your taste in X2 colors !!

vision
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
I have an X2 and I have the rachect cover they say you can tow with it? Going to Lake George for the week what do you think cover on or off?

I always tow with the cover on. There are several reports in boating magazines about the marked improvement in fuel economy by towing with a cover. You of course must have a towable cover. The MC cover works great for towing, just make sure you take out the poles, attach the side straps, and ratchet it tight.

dmayer84
07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Did you get the original MC cover of the grey aftermarket cover? If it is the grey one I wouldnt tow with it.

Trent 197
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I tow with the cover on...as long as everything is secure there shouldn't be a problem.

Muttley
07-25-2008, 02:45 PM
CAN you tow with the cover on? Yes.

I personally don't because the canvas dulls the gelcoat. I will make an exception it it's pouring rain.

Sodar
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Read this thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24705&highlight=towing+cover

ORX-1
07-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Cover on, no side straps.... Never harms the boat and I have not had a single issue.

JohnE
07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I tow with the cover on. I had a 197 with the snap on cover and had no issues. With my X14 I didn't realize that you need to ratchet the straps as tight as you possibly can and the cover came loose and dulled the gel in a few spots. That was on the 900 mile trip to CSM in May. No big deal, I'll buff them out when I get to it. I don't have much choice though. We bring so much stuff on vacation that we can't fit it all in the Avalanche. We have to pack it in the boat and need to cover it. Half of it is booze, though..........:D

WakePowell
07-25-2008, 11:47 PM
A couple of tips if you are going to tow with the cover on: 1) If possible have the cover lined with felt where it touches the boat 2) Where the plastic buckles are at the tower legs use a thick sweat wrist bands to cushion it. Otherwise it will scratch the boat. 3) cut a foam "noodle" and slip it over the top of the windshield frame to keep the cover from rubbing on the finish 4) If you don't line the cover with felt place towels on the upholstery especially on the top of the front bow cushion and on top of the rear sun deck.

Also like the others have said, ratchet the cover tight and use the side tie-downs and you’ll be fine.

brucemac
07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
i've only towed with it once, but i bought a roll of saran wrap and went around the top of the gunwale and down to the rub rail with it. took 5 minutes to do and was piece of mind. no issues. headed out this weekend for another road trip and there may be rain on the mountain pass so will probably do it again.

grijalavanation
07-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Here's a story that the dealer told me and after hearing this one I don't even think about towing with the cover on. A customer ordered a mastercraft. This customer lived three hours away. When the boat came in the dealer offers to deliver it . So they left the cover on for the long trip. When they went to reveal the beautiful boat it wasnt so beautiful. The cover rubbed the sides of the boat that left deep scratches. The dealership had to bring the boat all the way back buff the scratches out and redeliver the boat again this time with the cover off.

So after hearing this story I love my boat to much to even chance it
But it your boat you decide

Mark

Jerseydave
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
My cover is not lined (yet) and it's not a snap cover, so COVER OFF!

I just towed 5 hours last weekend, rained for the last hour. I would much rather clean the seats and remove/clean my snap-in carpet than buff scratches from the (black) gelcoat.
These ratchet-strap MC covers are no good for towing, unless you get them lined first. (which I plan to do this winter)

jaysus
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Cover off can lead to lost cushions, and foul weather may kick up dirt/oil and other non-vinyl-friendly road goo that can stain your stitching as well as discolor your vinyl.

If you have ever seen a new boats condition after it has lost the shipping/shrink cover from the factory you would tow with a cover on every time.

We tow new boats all over with the covers on and have not had 1 problem with the ratchet/strap mooring cover if secured tight and properly.

cbfitzner
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I tow with the cover on for long trips. What I do first though is to run a couple wraps of shrink wrap around the hull so as to be just above and just below the cover edge. That keeps the cover from chafing the gel coat. You can get a roll of the stuff from mailboxes etc or just about any packaging/mailing outlet. Works great.

2gofaster
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know who makes the factory cover for Mastercraft?

coz
08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Mine is a custom towing cover with these ski vest style clips all the way around, but the only time I tow with it is going to Apache lake because there's about 15 miles of dusty dirt road that will cover the inside of your boat.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/strap001.jpg

east tx skier
08-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I would like to know if most people pull their boats with the covers on or off. I have heard some stories of seats flying out if you go too fast. I have also heard that the cover will scratch the side of the boat, especially on a black hull. Any advice will help, thanks guys.

I do not have a "trailerable" cover (all of mine have had the custom straps, but that is not enough IMO). So I do not tow with it on. I did it once with my last boat, and it took a lot of elbow grease to get the gunwhale deck shining again.

loeweb
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Personally I never tow with the cover on. When I get to where I'm going I don't want an extra piece of fabric to worry about. Plus as previously mentioned, I don't feel like buffig out any more scratches than I have to.

ProStar190Fan
08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Mine is a custom towing cover with these ski vest style clips all the way around, but the only time I tow with it is going to Apache lake because there's about 15 miles of dusty dirt road that will cover the inside of your boat.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/strap001.jpg

I only tow with the cover on when im on a dusty road. it just makes cleaning the boat easier.

Tom

wsrobert
08-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I actually have 2 covers for mine. One is a complete cover that I towed it back from Dallas to Baton Rouge when I bought the boat, but that's the only time. I have another cover that snaps and covers from the windshield to the sundeck. I ALWAYS tow with it on at the least. It's rare I pull my boat without a cover. It's just so much more convenient and gives you piece of mind.

Tom023
08-31-2008, 10:35 PM
MC cover, forget it. Custom trailering cover, you bet. I had one made 8 years ago for about $700 and have always used it. No scratches or dulling gelcoat if done correctly, it just has to fit very tightly under to rub rail and have some sort of lining at wear points such as the windshield frame.

SunCoast 83
09-01-2008, 02:07 AM
I have a waterline custom cover (includes platform) and additional covers to protect the trailer fenders and wheels. So, no real opportunity for me to pull with a cover on. I always carry 3M Spray Wax/Detailer and 404 for the interior, with me when I pull. My waterline travle with us as well, the boat has never sat outside overnight without a cover in the 5yrs I've had her.

LaRue
09-19-2009, 12:30 AM
hey, i am still working on getting some photos. thanks for the heads up. question. Boat has two Mastercraft covers but they are tie down and i don't think i want the straps flapping against the boat when i travel, not to mentioned the chrome grommet things. But i am not real comfortable pulling it without cover since we live 1 1/2 hours away from lake. SUCK! anyway, should i pull it with or without? Or should i consider getting snap cover but something tells me that would ruin the genuiness of the boat.

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Believe me, you can make the cover work! I never have to adjust the side straps, all the tightening is done on the transom after all is set up and I've used this like this for 20 years while towing over 30K miles on up to 900 mile trips.

Thrall
09-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Well done TMC. If anyone could keep a cover from scratching the boat, you could!
That said, my new boat, the PO towed with the cover on all the time (not much couple thou mi tops), and it's a fitted MC cover.
I got some serious polishing to do this winter! It's scuffed the cr@p out of the gel and windshield trim. I don't tow with the cover on unless there's a rainstorm ahead or maybe a long dusty road to the lake. COmes on and off in about 2 min.
An idea I thought of to keep the cover from wearing on the powdercoated windshield is slice a swim noodle or pipe insul and trim out the top of the windshield.

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Well done TMC. If anyone could keep a cover from scratching the boat, you could!
That said, my new boat, the PO towed with the cover on all the time (not much couple thou mi tops), and it's a fitted MC cover.
I got some serious polishing to do this winter! It's scuffed the cr@p out of the gel and windshield trim. I don't tow with the cover on unless there's a rainstorm ahead or maybe a long dusty road to the lake. COmes on and off in about 2 min.
An idea I thought of to keep the cover from wearing on the powdercoated windshield is slice a swim noodle or pipe insul and trim out the top of the windshield.

For long trips, I use old blankets, sheets, towels, foam pipe insulation on the windshield frame, folded carpet on the bow and transom corners at the rope contact and rags where the cover seams may rub the rub rail to protect the gelcoat from the cover movement, which isn't much.

kenk
03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone have recommendations on high speed (60-75mph) towing with the factory boat cover installed? I done it on my 2007 SS star and it left rub marks on the fiberglass and windshield frame. Had it installed tight with side tie downs but still had fluttering and rubbing. Now I trailer without it but am exposed to rain and other road dirt and grime. Should be a better way??? BTW the tow vehicle is a 2002 Ford excursion (gas)...

mcrider
03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
get a "snap" cover. the factory covers also leave black marks on the upholstery if you tow with them.

russlars
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Some members on here have had a soft fleece type material sewn on the inside of the cover where it touches the fiberglass to prevent this.

jakethebt
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep, I think Sodar had about the best solution to that problem.

kenk
03-14-2010, 12:54 AM
What is a "snap" cover?...

Thrall
04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Snap on cockpit and bow cover. Look great when they're installed, but have to put about 100 screw in snaps into your deck.
I know what you mean. PO of my X2 towed with the cover on, only a handful of times. Windshield trim is scuffed and so is the gel. Got some polishing to do. Windshield is not too bad, it actually buffs out by hand.............why didn't MC use stainless or chrome windshield frames? I was surprised the X2 had a painted frame when it showed up.
Either tow with the cover off, get some felt sewn into the contact areas, or get a snap on cover.
I'm towing with mine off, only takes a few min if there's rain ahead to put it on. Plan on splitting a couple swim noodles or using pipe insul over the windshield frame if I have to go any distance with the cover on.

brucemac
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
roll of saran wrap and you're golden. kind of a PITA, but will prevent the chafe and not a big deal if you're only doing a few long road trips.

sand2snow22
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
roll of saran wrap and you're golden. kind of a PITA, but will prevent the chafe and not a big deal if you're only doing a few long road trips.

I've heard of this, too!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM
shrink wrap it......

JohnE
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I didn't want to spend the cash to have the 'diaper' made like Sodar did.....that is the best solution. I bought some car cover fabric online. ~25' x 6' wide. $30. Cut it in half and put it under the cover where it would rub the boat. I've used it about 5 times now including the 1800 mile round trip to CSM 3.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I didn't want to spend the cash to have the 'diaper' made like Sodar did.....that is the best solution. I bought some car cover fabric online. ~25' x 6' wide. $30. Cut it in half and put it under the cover where it would rub the boat. I've used it about 5 times now including the 1800 mile round trip to CSM 3.

Sewn onto your cover?? I have done nothing and towed a lot for 3 years with a black boat and had minimal rub. Easy to buff out.

JohnE
04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Sewn onto your cover?? I have done nothing and towed a lot for 3 years with a black boat and had minimal rub. Easy to buff out.

Nope, just placed there with a few cuts around the tower. Put and trimmed in place on a windy night in the dark the night we were loading for CSM. Ratcheted the cover tight and away I went. I left about an inch exposed. I have a pic somewhere. I expected them to blow loose but made the entire trip without issue. Used them a few times since, but prefer to tow sans cover. I was going to get them sewed in, but the upholsterer said that all the stitching would 'shrink' the cover a few inches and it may then not fit properly. He also quoted me arond $800 to make the cover like Cam has. But funds last year were not plentiful.

Thrall
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Good idea on the saran wrap. Get a big roll from a const/warehouse supply. Keep the bottom of it on the rub rail, a 12-18" wide roll will come up over the top outside edge of the deck. Throw the pipe insul over the windshield and you're done.
I may do that this year for the long road trip back east. Not so practical for the 1-3hr trips to the lake though.

JohnE
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I know some people wrap the tower with saran wrap too. Whether they tow covered or not. Doug G had some industrial saran wrap (wasn't really food wrap) that he used for the trips to NC.

ktm9900
05-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi I just took delivery of a 2010 x 15, lots of info on this site helped with my decision. Who tows their boat with the tarp on ? Do you do anything special to it when you tow with it on?
I have a 2 hour drive to the lake and then return after the long weekend for it's first service. I will service it myself after that, so no more towing for the year.

MariStar-Man
05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a fitted tarp from SkiBoatCover.com and it fits nicely. I even added the optional Snap release Buckles that hold the cover to the trailer shown here:

http://www.skiboatcovers.com/images/home_160_6.jpg

http://www.albertzoll.com/images/Black%20Clip%20Buckle%20Medium.jpg

Well, for a 6 mile round trip, the Black plastic buckles rubbed on the gel coat and made scratch marks that took quite a bit of rubbing with scratch remover and still they were still visible.

i took my knife and removed the buckles and the sewn in pieces of material.

So, months later I tried the same trip to see if the Draw string that comes with the cover would keep cover on while driving.

Well, it too came loose and the rear of the cover was flapping all over the place.. So, now I tow Wit cover off, Bimini laying down secured and Tower up and screwed tight.

Pic of cover with sewn in Material before Cut:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/2008%20Taco/Towing/DSC01749.jpg

oh and Welcome TO Team Talk, i just noticed it's your first post! You are now among some of the top fresh water boater's in the world...!

vandit0022
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I have towed mine 30+ miles each way with the Mastercraft ratchet cover that came with and no problems, or rub marks. I usually like to leave it uncovered on the way home to dry out if possible. Generally cover it after cleaning up to prevent bugs and such from getting to the clean seats.

cdstukey
05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome, I never tow with a cover on. Just don't see the point. If all your gear is stowed nothing will blow out and without the cover there is no chance of scratching or chafing the gel coat.

Jerseydave
05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Since my boat is black on the sides, you can see gelcoat scratches real easy.

I no longer tow with the cover on, I'd rather clean the seats after a long tow instead of buffing the gelcoat. (although I may make a soft cloth cover to lay on the boat UNDER the boat cover for towing, just have not got around to that yet) :D

Welcome to Teamtalk! We need to see pics of your boat! ;)

Tlxstar
05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I tow the boat around 20 miles each way to the dealer at the beginning and end of each season. Have always done it with the Mastercraft ratchet cover and to date no scratches or rubs on the gelcoat. Have to agree with Maristar-Man -- buckles or other attachment devices would be murder on the gelcoat....

Thrall
05-12-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm w/ NJskier on this. PO of my X2 towed with the MC cover on and in the maybe 1000mi he towed it, the cover has scuffed the gel and the windshield trim.
I'd leave it off unless there's a rain storm coming, then throw it on long enough to get through it, but that's it.

Kyle
05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
The mastercraft covers look great but will scratch your boat. Some colors show scratches better than others but I bet the guys saying they dont have scratches do. Texas Mastercraft's fiberglass guy showed me a trick and it will prove that they are there. He took black spray paint and sprayed it into a shop towel and wiped it on the areas were scratches probably would be from the cover. I personally could not see any of the scratches that he said were there so he proved to me that they were there. He came back with acetone on another towel wiping all of the black paint off of a new boat and I was amazed on how many scratches were there from the cover and the amount of them. The black paint stays in the tiny scratch so your glass guy can see where they are. He had to buff a new boat to get them out, wiping paint on and then off with acetone as a guide until the scratches were gone. The boat eventually turned out great after hours of work. Like I said earlier I personally could not tell at all that there were any scratches but someone towed a new boat and it was in for repair because of it. He proved me wrong but I have never towed with the cover on my boat. I believe that water spots and road grime from regular towing or even worse a rain storm will come off with a wash job in the driveway but scratches dont.

Kyle
05-12-2010, 03:16 AM
By the way........Welcome to Team Talk

Pics are a must:D

bturner2
05-12-2010, 08:24 AM
The only time I pull with the cover on is if I have to pull in the rain. It's rare for me but if you have to go home from vacation and it's pouring you really don't have much of a choice. Last year this happened to me on a three hour trip back from northern Michigan. Rained the whole way home. I will say that the cover did handle the trip well.

The down side to doing this is the material they use for the new covers will mark the windshield frame, your seats and will scratch the boat anywhere there is movement in the cover against the hull. I had my local canvas shop add what she called canvas padding to all the contact points to help reduce this effect. We'll see at the end of the season how this worked out.

mccobmd
05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
If you're going to make a soft cover make sure it covers the vinyl in the back. I have only towed with the cover twice ( to the trailer shop and back) with the cover on. It left more black on the vinyl than the gel coat

JohnE
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Towing with the cover will definitely scratch the gel. Will also scratch windshield frame and stainless rub rail. I know from experience. I lay a long piece of car cover material over the areas that will scratch. I bought a 6' x 30' piece online for about $30 and cut it in half and I lay half on each side. Works great. Just a few cuts to go around tower. Towed 1800 miles rond trip and it stayed in place perfectly.

jbkriss
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
This is a tough decision. On the one hand, I don't want the boat to get scratched by the cover but on the other hand, this is Lovebug season in FL and with no cover, I'll have bug guts ALL over the boat. The trip is 500 miles RT. Think I'll go with a clear wrap, noodle, and blankets.

5280Hawk
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Hmmm.. My cover is the Custom cover from overton's. (2002 Xstar)

I bought it last year, and towed with it all last summer, it has felt to protect the windsheild, and also the ski pole. It has a ratchet rope that goes around the Rub rail, and swimdeck, and velcro to go around the tower legs. It also has eight 1" straps with plastic clips that cinch to the trailer, but dont touch the hull. If it's nice and tight i don't get any problems. Like the previous poster said, i have to tow with a cover because i store a lot of the camping gear in the floor of the boat on long trips.

Kell
06-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Interesting thread and perspectives on towing with or without the cover. I personally don't tow with the cover on, but would likely put it on in rain storms or dusty roads for short periods.

For what its worth, I received a DVD, together with all the manuals and such, when we purchased our 09 X2 last August. The DVD is entitled "MasterCraft Mooring Cover Installation DVD" (apparently the cover is made by Commercial Sewing). The DVD shows how to set the cover up for towing applications, explains the "patented" vacuum hold system (plastic vent holes on each side), the anti-pooling system ("APS"), how to setup the two ratchets located on the cover at the transom so the proper tension is obtained, and explains the cover material is dyed to resist fading and stretch. The DVD also states that the cover will not mar the gelcoat or windshield frame and is specifically designed for towing applications up to 70 mph. There is felt sewn into the cover where it meets the windshield. Apparently this vacuum hold system creats a vacuum and a tight seal around the rub rail and in order to obtain the proper seal you must crank the ratching system very tightly. The DVD states that the 3 confident straps at the transom and the side straps that attach to the trailer should not be tight. The DVD also recommends towing with the APS system (tent poles) installed as this helps support the cover under the vacuum created while towing.