PDA

View Full Version : heater install on a PS205

hacker
04-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a (92)ProSport 205. I just bought a 3 outlet heatercraft boat heater and I'm having a tough time trying to figure out where to mount it. There really isn't much room on the driver's side to put it. Who has a 205 with a heater? Any thoughts, pictures? Thanks in advance!

rodltg2
04-22-2005, 09:00 PM
im thinking off adding one 2. anyone done this on a 197

MarkP
04-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey hacker,

I have a 92 205 but no heater. I donít know how big that heater is but I think I would try to stuff it in front of the driver footrest. Not a lot of other places that I can think of??

chico
04-23-2005, 02:05 PM
I just installed one on my 94 205.i put it under the pass.seat towards the front.I ran the ducts to blow at the driver and the other towards the back.

JDK
04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
We need pictures!

prostar205
04-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I had a '95 PS205 and I mounted the heater core behind the passenger side seat area. I fastened it the the outer wall of the boat. It worked great.

AirJunky
04-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I installed a double core, 5 vent heater in front of the passenger seat of my '94 205. The core & fans are bolted to the underneath of the glovebox. I have 2 snorkels mounted below the seat, one to the side facing the driver & a 6' long one facing to the rear. A vent down by the driver's feet. Plus 2 vents by the winshield to act as defrosters. Controls are mounted right next to the throttle & hooked up the ACC2 circuit breaker. And water is drawn from the new Y intake adapter available from Skidim. Once the motor is warmed up, this baby delivers heat at idle to all the vents easily.
I'll see if I can get some pics over the weekend.

prostar205
04-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Airjunky -

I just ordered the y-adaptor from SKIDIM a few minutes ago. They are shipping it from the HeaterCraft factory in Idaho. Hopefully be in Seattle early next week and install next weekend. I can wait to have heat in my baby.

jimmer2880
04-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Airjunky -

I just ordered the y-adaptor from SKIDIM a few minutes ago. They are shipping it from the HeaterCraft factory in Idaho. Hopefully be in Seattle early next week and install next weekend. I can wait to have heat in my baby.

I just got my Y adapter from skidim this week. Where does it go & which way does the Y face?

thx

AirJunky
04-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I'll get a picture of mine installed tonite or tomorrow & get it posted on here ASAP.
I'm hoping to get the new trans linkage & engine cover shocks installed & get the boat on the lake tomorrow.

prostar205
04-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I am going to put mine between the water pickup grate and the raw water pump (the one with the impeller in it).

The Y faces back towards the water pickup grate (in your boat - that would be towards the rear of the boat). On my X30, the water pickup grate is in the middle of the boat, so my Y-adaptor will face towards the front of the boat.

I spoke to Vincent at SKIDIM this morning and verified all this information.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

AirJunky
05-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Heres a shot of the heater core/fans in front of the spotters seat.

AirJunky
05-01-2005, 01:20 AM
And here is the Y adapter. This is the port side of the engine.

Leroy
05-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Airjunky;

I'm confused, which isn't hard to do, but I thought I was starting to understand heaters and showers. I thought the heater take off went on the hot water side, but looks like you have on cold water intake side?

AirJunky
05-01-2005, 01:44 AM
HEhehe, guess I should have drawn my arrows to & from the opposite directions. When using the Y adapter, it's pulling the water thru the heater core, not pushing it.

Leroy
05-01-2005, 01:49 AM
AJ; So there is a hot water tap to the heater core on the other side and you pull that through the heater?

AirJunky
05-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Yep, hot water is drawn from the front of the intake manifold. The Y adapter replaces the hose normally on the water pump.

prostar205
05-01-2005, 03:10 AM
AirJunky is correct. The hot water is supplied by the engine water pump and it is returned via the y-adapter (where AJ has the description "to heater"). I believe it should read "from heater" since that is the return path of the hot water AFTER it has been thru the heat exchanger.

I get my Y-adapter on Monday or Tuesday - can't wait to install it and have heat. This upcoming weekend is the "official" open day of boating season here in Seattle.

Leroy
05-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks, the pix help so much in seeing how the install is done for the DIY'ers. I want to add this and shower also.

jimmer2880
05-02-2005, 06:45 AM

great - thanks for the pic's. They really help.

Now - all I need to do is find that plug for my water pump that I removed when I initially installed the heater.

jake
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM

That's not where I installed my Y adapter. Mine is in front of the trans cooler. Is it supposed to be behind it? Does it matter?

AIRCANX09
05-14-2005, 01:46 PM
1ST POST...I"M SOOOO NERVOUS.

I rec'd tons of information from this site, prior to becoming registered. So much so that I ordered and rec'd my Heatercraft herater, except the package I receiced had no heaterhose and connectors. I wish to install this weekend so I thought someone may have the info in regards to hose size ( ie 3/4" or 5/8") and what size and style brass fittings. I have the 2H heater and expect to install it in my '03 X-9 under the observers seat, but may go behind the kick plate on drivers side and hot tube over to passenger side. Any help team?

chico
05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
use 5/8 heater hose.you get it at any car shop.get stainless gear clamps.

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 08:26 AM
That's not where I installed my Y adapter. Mine is in front of the trans cooler. Is it supposed to be behind it? Does it matter?

I'm not sure where it's supposed to go. But - let me say this.

I installed mine After the trans cooler, but before the raw water pump. Since installing, I now notice my motor is running approx 10-15 deg warmer than before the install, or when I have the heater valve (I put one in on the intake side) shut-off.

My point is, if you put your "Y" adapter before the trans cooler, your trans will be running warmer than before. I have no idea if the extra deg's will make a difference. All I know is I've always been told (in auto trans anyway) that the cooler the better.