PDA

View Full Version : Hey NJskier, I'm in your neighborhood today

jimmer2880
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey NJskier... I'm in your neighborhood today. On our way to VT to visit my sister, got a hotel room in Matamoras (on I84, just inside of PA). At dinner last night, our trusty '99 suburban decided it didn't want to run anymore. So - my family is stuck here for the time being.

'Burban is cranking very well. We have what appears to be decent fuel pressure on the rail (using a key to test at the shrader valve). I can hear the fuel-pump relay clacking. Can't hear the pump prime though.

It's not even attempting to catch though. So much so, that I'm thinking it's either the coil (unlikely), or the crankshaft, or camshaft position sensor. Anyway - loaded it up in last night's rain storm onto the tow truck. The towtruck driver went FAR out of his way (physically, not driving), to help out my wife, 2 young daughters and myself getting our gear into the hotel room. Both he & I got soaked to the bone.

I have to put out props toMcCutchen's service center so far. Hopefully I'll be getting a call real soon to say that we are ready to go.

BriEOD
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
That stinks Jim. Hopefully, you weren't MC in tow. I recall MarkP breaking down while towing his MC a few years ago! :eek:

jimmer2880
07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
That stinks Jim. Hopefully, you weren't MC in tow. I recall MarkP breaking down while towing his MC a few years ago! :eek:

Thanks Brian.

Fortunately (or, unfortunately depending on how you look at it), we left the MC at home for this trip. For the bad luck we had, we did have some good luck, with breaking down at a resturaunt in the middle of the afternoon instead of on a back road in the middle of the night.

dmayer84
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Right near where I have my boat keep it about 45 mins west of where you are. Is your car in matamoras or did it go over to port jervis?

Lennyp04
07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow were you near Allentown PA?? Thats where I am...and Lake Wallenpaupack....like Dmayer said

jimmer2880
07-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier. We got a call late Thursday that said it was done, so we high-tailed it to Vermont. Of course, our hotel there didn't have internet, so I couldnt respond.

Anyway - yes, the suburban was in a garage in Matamoras. They didn't treat me too bad on the financial side (they treated me like gold otherwise). They charged me $85.00 for towing, including coming with their personal vehicle to take my wife & kids to the hotel, making sure they got in their room ok. Then coming back with the tow truck in the pouring rain to get the suburban and I, stopping at the hotel to help me unload the cooler, and helping me take it into the room.

They got me for $950 for the pump, and filter and labor to install them. Not horrible (Napa has the pump for $350.00). They didn't even pump out any of the approx 30 gallons of gas I still had in the 45 gallon tank.

It definately could have been worse.

BriEOD
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
$950 to REPLACE a fuel pump!!!! OMG!!!!!!!:mad:

jimmer2880
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
$950 to REPLACE a fuel pump!!!! OMG!!!!!!!:mad:

technically, the pump cost $350.00, so that leaves $600.00 to replace it, and the fuel filter.

It's still large, but they could have really taken advantage of me more than they did.

BriEOD
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow...that seems high for labor. Did they change your muffler bearings as well. ;)

jimmer2880
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't be silly... There's no such thing as muffler bearings. But, they did check the jack-shaft and wobulator valve. Then they re-filled my head-light fluid. :o

atlfootr
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
technically, the pump cost $350.00, so that leaves $600.00 to replace it, and the fuel filter.

It's still large, but they could have really taken advantage of me more than they did.What's this technically crap ... you were raped any way you look at it :o

Jerseydave
07-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Damn Jimmer, I have been away from TMCowners.com for a while. Actually, last friday I trailered past you (sort of) to Raystown Lake PA.

Sorry to hear about your truck problems but glad everything worked out ok. FYI I'm about 2 hours from where you broke down, but I have low friends in high places that could have helped out.

A skier that we met at Raystown came from Ohio only to have his rear differential grenade itself near Huntingdon, PA. 5 days and almost $2,000 later he was back on the road again.
Ahh, the experience of road trips. :rolleyes:

PS, be sure to look me up next time you come to NJ.