PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring problems

jixxxer
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
First I know little about electical anything. Anyways, My trailer lights do different things everytime i hook them up. ONe night they worked only when i put on the brakes, one night no lights at all, and another they would come on and off. I looked under the trailer but all the wires are hidden in the trailer, what can I do to get them working properly??

flipper
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like loose connections, and or loose ground. I'd start at the truck, check all the pins with a test light, the go to the trailer. Could be the plug on either, or loose connections on the lights themselves. Most of the time it won't be in the middle of the wire, unless you're blowing fuses.

bigmac
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Need to know additional stuff like, how old is the trailer? Is the trailer connector 5 wires? What vehicle do you have? What kind of towing connector plug do you have? What kind of adapter are you using to get the signals from the vehicle connector to the trailer connector.

I agree that most often, weird trailer lighting issue are related to bad ground.

jixxxer
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
the trailer is a 1997, yea typical 5wire with the flat connector. I have a ford, I know its not the truck cause its fine with my utility trailer and my old boat. Dont need an adapter, the ford has both built on. So where would the bad ground be?
Thanks.

flipper
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Look for a white wire screwed into the frame of the trailer. Most of the time it's on the front

jixxxer
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
So how do i know if its bad...............sorry for the dumb questions

flipper
07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
it doesn't take much, take it off, clean up where it contacts and put it back together.

TMCNo1
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Bad ground! Run a test jumper from the tow vehicle raw steel to the trailer raw steel and see what happens!

east tx skier
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Look on the side of the trailer tongue for the ground. Clean it up and screw it back down. Also, check the connections at the lights. I've had those Anderson Oval light plugs come loose from time to time (though I agree it sounds like a grounding issue).

Sodar
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like grounding, but could be a connection issue where they used butt connectors. I just rewired my girlfriend's Sea-Doo trailer on Sunday because it had been hacked into so many times. Sometimes it is easier to start fresh and clean. If you do make any spices, I recommend using the heat shrink butt connectors or bet yet, soldering the wires and placing heat shrink around that. That way, the connections will be fail safe for the life of the trailer.

jixxxer
07-26-2008, 12:13 AM
the ground does look bad, i took it off, put it back on , didnt have to time to really clean and put a connector on it, hooked up the lights and some of them lit up till I pushed the brake and then they off went off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and stayed off!
Still sounds llike a ground problem?????

NU-skier
07-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Yep. See post #8. Bad ground will not support all of your lights.

flipper
07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Yep. See post #8. Bad ground will not support all of your lights.

I still say bad ground. If it looks bad, it probably is. Clean it up with some sand paper.

lanier92prostar
07-26-2008, 02:17 AM
I agree with the bad ground connection. I had to take the ground off, clean the connection and replace and then all was fine with mine. Mine worked some days and didn't work others which sounds like a similar problem.

jixxxer
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Re did the ground but it still does it; but I did notice the front of the trailer that comes up on the hinge, is rusted off, so there is basically no hinge there, it just comes off, that could be the problem right? Buddy said to run the ground back past the hinged part. Hopefully it could work?

TMCNo1
07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Re did the ground but it still does it; but I did notice the front of the trailer that comes up on the hinge, is rusted off, so there is basically no hinge there, it just comes off, that could be the problem right? Buddy said to run the ground back past the hinged part. Hopefully it could work?

Is there any way you can post a pic of this rusted off part of the trailer?

jixxxer
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I just took the back light off the trailer cause it wasnt working, well come to find out the trailer is full of rust on the inside!!!!! Someone said if its been in salt water it will rust from the inside out; is this correct? By the sound of it what would u think? Im also starting to beleive that the light problems Im having is bad ground due to rust on the inside, Ive done everything and still cant get the lights to work properly! Whats a 1997 trailer like this worth, signle axle.

Brazos Bum
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Jixxxer - Your trailer has never been in salt water. Maybe there is something to the theory that the Brazos is on the salty side though......

flipper
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
A trailer going into any water can rust from the inside out, salt or not. Especially if there are no drain holes at the lowest points of the trailer.

east tx skier
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Jixxxer - Your trailer has never been in salt water. Maybe there is something to the theory that the Brazos is on the salty side though......

So why was Tex dipping margarita glasses in the river??? 8p