PDA

View Full Version : Ollie edge

law32ps87
07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I got the chance to ride with a very good rider and he told me to practice jumping w2w using an ollie edge instead of progressive edge. he said its more for w2w spins and tricks where you need low tension in the rope. basically from what i got out of what he said is to cut out pretty wide, sit down low, then let the boat build your edge all the way in and to stand tall the same way as the progressive edge at the top of the wake. I wanna start trying this if it will help me get ready for w2w spins. Does this sound right? Do any of you more experienced riders use this technique when doing tricks?

ProTour X9
07-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I do know that you need different edges and sharper cuts for different tricks.

vision
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes, so I am told by our local pros, that different edges are certainly used for different tricks. But you can spin with a progressive edge.

They also stress perfecting your spins, up to 540s, over just one wake before going wake to wake.

wakeX2wake
07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, so I am told by our local pros, that different edges are certainly used for different tricks. But you can spin with a progressive edge.

They also stress perfecting your spins, up to 540s, over just one wake before going wake to wake.

SECOND THAT ONE...

what you just described what a progressive edge... or so it sounds to me... i guess i'd just have to see it to know the difference... i always want to get in the perverbial chair and build speed into the wake... you'll soon figure out as you're more comfortable with it that you can go huge and carry into the flats when you want or you can land down the other wake... it's all about how strong of and edge you carry into it and what you want to do... it's a common misconception that you have to farther outside the wake to carry farther... complete myth... it's all about how hard you edge into the wake... i don't find it as easy as some of my riding buddies but the smaller guys can start their edge in the white wash and carry it 5-6 feet outside the trough of the other wake... i'm working on the finesse things like that a little more now vs just stomping out tricks

vision
07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
WakeX2wake is spot on. I still can not do it correctly, but I can start just outside the spray and if I edge correctly I will land significant past the other wake. When I edge correctly, it is amazing how gentle I pop, how high I pop, and how soft the landing is. Wish I could do it correctly every time! Once you are in the air, there seems to be much less tension on the line when you edge correctly. But I am a novice so take my advice with a grain of salt.

MCDriven
07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
They talk about this in The Book video as a different edge than the progressive edge (difference being that you don't edge harder right before the wake - it's a consistent edge all the way from start to finish - and the board is flater (in a position to ollie) when you hit the top of the wake). I sense from the video that this is an edge for more advanced riders & tricks. I have been following WX2W's advice about the progressive edge over the past few weeks (see "Need Help getting more air" thread) & getting a lot more air and able to do more while up there. Looking forward to when I get it consistent. I will watch the video tonight and see what they say that edge is used for and report back.

wakeX2wake
07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
that edge is used for 'trip" tricks... like a HS tantrum and TS front... i don't think of it as a different edge but more of as a less aggressive... but hey i'm no pro and i don't have a video... but that explanation makes sense about the continuous cut thing... it's starts getting fun when you know before you edge how far you'll land outside the other wake

law32ps87
07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
So i got to ride for the first time in like 4 weeks this morning now that my boats running again:).. I felt like i started gettin some good pop on my jumps.. I was cuttin out, then i would sit and let the boat build my edge like half the way in. I would then lean back a lil more to build more tension an then stand tall as i could at the wake..
im gonna try to post a pic of one of my jumps, dont really know how...

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q458/law32ps/wakeboarding/wake.jpg

does this like a good amount of height for my wake or should i be able to get a lot higher? Also does this look like enough air for 360s? oh i ride behind an unweighted 87 prostar, not the best wake boat.

law32ps87
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
i also cant seem to hold on to the rope with both hands.

MCDriven
07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
The Book video indicates you use the Ollie Edge for spins and grabs. It's a soft, continuous lean designed to have less tension on the rope. The progressive edge starts with a drift and ends with a hard lean close to the wake. On both you keep your edge through the top of the wake and pop off the top. The third edge they describe is the trip flip edge where you lean hard at the start and switch edges right before the wake and trip over it - used for flips.

They also describe 3 edging postions: seated, tall (standing) and middle - use different ones for different tricks. Ollie edge and seated described as ideal for grabs and spins where you need slack in the line.

No pro here either but I really recommend this video and they have just lower the price from $100 to $60 for the 5 DVD set. I pick up something new everytime I watch a section (today's observation: bend your knees over your toes and keep you back straight instead of slouching over to bend the knees).

By the way that looks like pretty good air to me with that wake.

wakeX2wake
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
real good air with that wake... you don't have to have much air at all for 360s... ie they do them off ollies ALL the time... i know a kid who can't do one wake to wake but can off an ollie... counter intuitive?... naa just different... i'd practice everything one wake until you get it dialed there then wake to wake is nothing but edge... i'd start w/ a front side 180 then a backside 180 before the three... it'll make learning the 360 much less frustrating

law32ps87
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
yeah i can do one wake frontside 180s all day.. ive been workin on ollie backside 180s but cant seem to get the handle pass.. I guess once i can get those i will start workin on one wake 360s..

MCDriven
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Try slowing the boat down and practicing the handle pass with surface spins. You can do it at the end of your run when you're too tired to jump anymore but aren't ready to get back in the boat. They recommend that and learning one wake first as WX2W suggests on The Book video as well. I'm telling you man, get that thing! If you have the patience to follow their steps to learning each move (I don't), it's got great instruction.

djhuff
07-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I actually am in the process of learning a ts 360 and I'm doing it w2w. Didn't have very many bad falls (once I learned to just to a normal wake jump, THEN initiate the spin with only the handle) Now I just can't get the stupid handle pass as my receiving hand is way out to the side trying to balance me (bad habit), but I'm coasting off almost every one.

wakeX2wake
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah i can do one wake frontside 180s all day.. ive been workin on ollie backside 180s but cant seem to get the handle pass.. I guess once i can get those i will start workin on one wake 360s..

good plan... you'll soon learn that leaning away from the boat (ever so slightly) will increase your room for error... which if you error most likely will result in a faceplant/pancake/eye peeler/anything else you want to call it when you catch the front edge of your board

no offense obviously to anyone but i'm a firm believer in learning the steps that build up to a trick... i'm also an engineer (lots of building block mathematics over the years of school) and i've been called an east coast rider too so... while i'm not very good i feel that it is extremely important to learn the components before hucking up a 360...

i also have a theory that when people try to do things they're not "ready" to do on a wakeboard they are at a much greater risk of hurting themselves

djhuff... try jumping and poping the rope out of your hands (just barely letting go) and landing this will force you to learn how to hit the wake and jump w/o depending on the handle for balance or to where you'll be able to compensate later in the jump w/o waving about b/c you're too concerned about getting that handle back... kind of like you're practicing for an osmosis... heck if somebody asks just tell them its an osmosis wake jump hahaha

law32ps87
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Try slowing the boat down and practicing the handle pass with surface spins. You can do it at the end of your run when you're too tired to jump anymore but aren't ready to get back in the boat. They recommend that and learning one wake first as WX2W suggests on The Book video as well. I'm telling you man, get that thing! If you have the patience to follow their steps to learning each move (I don't), it's got great instruction.

i can get the handle pass on surface spins very easily.. is it correct for ollie bs 180 to edge out hard then flatten quickly , and pop the spin. Doing it like that well lessen the tension so i dont get pulled into a nose dive. I wish i could buy the book, but im a broke college kid and all my money goes towards gas for the boat!

wakeX2wake
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
good chance its on youtube if you're that broke but i'd suggest saving up some beer money if you're really wanting to progress... its long and painful but i'd rather be consistent on 1 or a 3 than sketch bawls on a 5... and that's what the book will teach you... consistency through repitition

law32ps87
07-24-2008, 04:00 PM
funny thing is right now i am that broke... just had to replace the strut and shaft so im just glad to get to ride again but i will definetly check it out once i get the cash.

MCDriven
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Understand about the money part. Even though that part of college life stinks, enjoy the rest - it's the best time of your life, especially if you are getting on the water. Great free tips on wakeworld.com. A lot of the same guys who did The Book.

Follow WX2W's advice. It's free and it's helped me. Step by step progression is key - that's what they preach in the Book too. They call it "Steps in the Graduation Ladder" - dorky but appropriate for a college guy. Learn to do the trick on the surface, then ollie it, then inside/out, then outside /in (both one wake) then W2W.

vision
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
law32ps87,

Please keep in mind that I can not do w2w 360s, just 180s, and I am at the surface 360 stage. But my son is working on them and I will pass along the advice of our local pros.

They indicated that besides trying 1 wake first, try to land your 180s with a partial handle pass. In other words, every time you do a 180, say HS FS 180, land it with the handle on or just behind your right hip (assuming regular stance) and try reaching around your back with your left hand and grabbing the handle. Sort of a blind landing handle position. They said once this becomes second nature, then doing the extra 180 spin is easy as you are already trained to keep the handle next to your body and have mastered the the grab with your back hand.

I agree with McDriven, use the advice of WakeX2Wake and others on this forum as what they have recommended has been in complete agreement with the few nuggets of wisdom I have gleamed from riding with our local pros.

law32ps87
07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
For now i think im just gonna try to land that ollie bs180. Then i can progress to inside/out, an 1wake like you said MCdriven. i did that with my hs fs180s and helped a lot.

Vision i understand what your saying.. i think i may have to give that a try.

Thanks for all the tips!

law32ps87
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
oh and im not sure but i think thats called the cuffed riding position.