PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Water

mlay
07-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Folks,
I have an 82 SS, just finished bringing back to life. Over the past two trips to the lake when I check under the engine cover after a day of sking there is a good bit of water in the boat but my main concern is that it seems there is also a good bit of oil in the water. I have only had to add oil once this summer but lately there seems to be more and more oil and water. I think the water was coming from loose ski platform bolts so I am taken care of that. I guess my main question is where are some places to keep an eye on and check for oil leaks. Nothing obvious so far but thought maybe someone had seen this before.

Any and all tips appreciated.

Thanks,

ski_king
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
A 26 year old engine is bound to have a small leak or 2.
How does the engine look? See any leaks around the valve covers? etc?

Maybe you just need to clean the bilge out, oil may have been collecting there over time.
If you arn't careful, it is easy to loose a few ounces per oil change.

Just before you finish skiing for the day, pull the plug and let in a few gallons of water. Then add some dish soap. Go sking and let the soapy water slosh around. The drain into a bucket when you pull the boat. This doses wanders to clean the bilge of oil and grime.

FHMan1905
07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
both S&S' i have had had always had some oil build up in the bilge....i have cleaned and cleaned and can't get rid of the oil....but i am having water issues now....not bad but need to remedy this winter......i wouldn't worry about the oil if you can't see an oil then chances are you probably don't have one (at least a major one) but just build up over time....

mlay
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks,
I will try to soap and water clean out and see what happens this weekend.

I appreciate the suggestions.

rholmes
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
It could also be oil coming from the tranny. Have you checked its level lately?

rob935
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
there may be oil in your bilge thats just being diluted by the water and looks far worse than it is ..!! lift the floor towards the rear of the boat and check under the fuel tank for any oily residues and give it a thorough clean.

chudson
07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Throwin in my :twocents:could be a small exhaust hose leak (under the floor where you can't see) bringing in water and mixin with an oily bilge area. Just somthing to check!!!