PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning white gel coat....

jbfootin
07-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Well I just got back from camping and the white bottom of the boat was past yellow and well into the orange color charts. I tried differnt soaps, with different scrub brushes, rags and sponges, with very little success. My wife brought out liquid Bar Keepers Friend, which did a great job. I put a little on a sponge and wiped it on an area. Left it sit a minute and when I went back you could see the color difference right away.

My question is, does anyone know of any ill effects of this on the gel coat? What is the best way to re-seal this, to prevent it from turning yellow again?

Thanks

east tx skier
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Barkeepers friend is Oxalic Acid I believe.

Sno Bol toilet cleaner works well. It contains HCl.

Rinse well afterwards and wax.

jbfootin
07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
So is Oxalic Acid worse than HCI?

I did rinse the heck out of it. It is now very white and looks great, I just want to know if it is bad to use for future.

flipper
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
make sure you put a good coat of wax on it after. For me, if I keep up on the waxing, use Barts boat brite everytime I pull it out of the water, everything just wipes off.

bigmac
07-22-2008, 05:25 PM
You need an acid wash. You will be amazed. I like Slimey Grimey because it's relatively mild and you don't have to dress up in a hazmat suit to use it. Also good is Starbrite Hull Cleaner, Zing!, or MaryKate's On-Off. All are based on oxalic acid. Daub it on, let it sit for about 90 seconds, rinse it off. No scrubbing required. Wear gloves, don't wear nice clothes, try not to inhale it too much if you're using those last three products. Note that it will strip all the wax off too, so be prepared to wax the hull after you're done.

Bar Keeper's friend is indeed oxalic acid. I don't know what SnoBol is, but rather than using such preparations, I'd rather spend the extra $2 and buy something that is definitely formulated for cleaning stains off gel coat.

jbfootin
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Well the liquid bar keepers worked great. If those other ones use oxalic acid also, I am not going to worry. I only used a little bit on a wet sponge and it would take care of the whole side of the boat. Add a little more for the other side. I started with less than an 1/8th of a bottle and had quite a bit left.

any recomendations for wax?:)

bigmac
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
any recomendations for wax?:)
I use RejeX. IMHO, a carnauba wax is pretty much gone from your running surfaces by the first time you hit 20 mph.

east tx skier
07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't know what SnoBol is, but rather than using such preparations, I'd rather spend the extra $2 and buy something that is definitely formulated for cleaning stains off gel coat.

"Such preparations"???

Sno bol 15% HCl solution used as a bathroom cleaner. Works well on the boat and available just about everywhere. If it's not your product of choice, so be it. But I see no reason to discount it as inferior. I'll be at Taco Bell with my $2.

JohnnyB
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Jay,

You'll have to fill me in on the Lake and camp grounds.....looking for spots on lakes to camp on, too.

My boat looks like that after sitting in the lake up north for our week of vacation. I use snowbowl liquid and spray it on with a yard sprayer, then rub with a sponge and rinse...cleans real well and for under $2/bottle, its the way to go.

Many hull cleaners are Oxalic Acid as is teak brightener....should be OK as long as you wax your hull afterward.

-J

bigmac
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
"Such preparations"???

Sno bol 15% HCl solution used as a bathroom cleaner. Works well on the boat and available just about everywhere. If it's not your product of choice, so be it. But I see no reason to discount it as inferior. I'll be at Taco Bell with my $2.
Sorry to dis your choice of hull cleaner. No offense meant. I agree, SnoBol works great on porcelain, but I've found porcelain to be different than polyester resin. I don't know the effects of hydrochloric acid on gel coat, but virtually all of the fiberglass boat hull cleaners out there use oxalic acid.

I'm a pretty simple guy. I figure, toilet cleaners for toilets, boat hull cleaners for boats.

And you could get salmonella at Taco Bell.

east tx skier
07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I wasn't terribly offended.

As for Taco Bell, you'll be alright if you take some sno bol with you (it kills the salmonella).

I should've mentioned that I've used sno bol on a stain on a cultured marble countertop before. No harm and that stuff is polyester resin, too.

It'll keep your hair in place and you can run your car on it, too. :)

bturner2
07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
I've used both Sno-Bowl and Zing. Zing was pretty harsh even cut down to use. Both worked very well. I vote for Fleet Wax for the bottom. Goes on easy and lasts most of the season. Not a cheap wax but very good.

Kevin 89MC
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I've had great luck with Mary Kate's On & Off Hull cleaner, the only thing I found to clean up 7+ year old yellow/brown scum. Wiped it on with a sponge, rinsed it off, super shiny hull :) I've only had to use it once, as I now wax 2x a year. I wax with Meguires super premium gold ultra mega whatever wax, it seems to hold on quite well. Occasional cleanings with Star Brite don't seem to strip the wax either.
Bigmac & Eastie, thanks for the laughs!
Good luck,
Kevin