PDA

View Full Version : Possible upgrade MC to 09

Roonie's
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
So I am thinking of selling my 07 X2 and getting an 09 X2. Our dealer has a couple people possibly interested in my boat as I mentioned it to him. My wife thinks I am nuts. Our boat works great and we both love it. The reasons for upgrading is we have a single axle trailer now and we will be doing more long distance traveling with it in the future and I would feel much more comfortable having an extra set of tires under it as well as and extra set of brakes on the serious mtn passes. I have pursued just buying a new tandem from our dealer and selling the single axle but there is little to zero demand for an 07 trailer in our area as they have yet to sell an X2 without a trailer.

She thinks I am nuts because our boat works great and she doesn't want to spend the money to upgrade (and we only have 46 hours on it). Any suggestions on how to convince your significant other on a change? So the things I would change would be to get a tandem axle trailer as the main reason. When we bought we didn't know what our needs would be or how we would use it. I didn't even give the trailer a second thought. Also we have a tight turn to get into the garage.

Now I realize I really need the tandem axle for our trips and would feel much more comfortable with it for as long as we will own the boat. Also probably get the MCX engine upgrade. The other options would be the same as our current boat. Any ideas?

D3skier
07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
when I made the upgrade from our '03 to the '07 the way I convinced my wife was newer boat lower payments... she just didn't understand the concept of 7 years vs. 15 year payments. but she agreed to it.

brucemac
07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
roonie, not sure if the plans you had mentioned are still going through, but you may want to speak with darren lamont out here. it may make sense from a locality/dealer standpoint if you know what i mean.

peason
07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
You need to host more poker nights! and winning may help! Good luck I got nothing for you.

Roonie's
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
You need to host more poker nights! and winning may help! Good luck I got nothing for you.

I was the biggest loser.... I had to buy back in twice!

There will be more poker nights.

Ben
07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Any ideas?

Find someone that lives on a lake (thus trailers twice a year) with an X2 or whatever else has the same hull who has a tandem axle trailer. Offer them cash for the trade.

This one is really out there.... can you have your trailer modified? I don't know the differences btw single & dual tire trailers, but I would the think the frame & bunk setup are the same.

What makes you nervous about single axle. Maintain your bearings, monitor your tire pressure, make sure your brakes function correctly and carry a spare just in case.

ShamrockIV
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
if momma ain't happy then nobody is happy!!!!!!

russlars
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
if momma ain't happy then nobody is happy!!!!!!
amen to that!!!
I must say that I agree with the wife on this one though. I would have a hard time justifying a new boat purchase just for the sake of a tandem axle trailer. Oh, and by the way, a single axle trailer is easier to manuever in "tight turns". If a single axle weren't acceptable for your boat, MC wouldn't have sold it to you!

skeeler
07-22-2008, 04:13 PM
amen to that!!!
I must say that I agree with the wife on this one though. I would have a hard time justifying a new boat purchase just for the sake of a tandem axle trailer. Oh, and by the way, a single axle trailer is easier to manuever in "tight turns". If a single axle weren't acceptable for your boat, MC wouldn't have sold it to you!

I would agree to that!!! :D
FYI for everyone that loved my 2007 X-2, I found it out on eBay the other night. :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110271349590

Jonathan94
07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
I would agree to that!!! :D
FYI for everyone that loved my 2007 X-2, I found it out on eBay the other night. :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110271349590

All your hard work is again being used to help make the sale. Just goes to show, that appreciation for quality and job well done will never go out of style and can make a serious impression on someone down the line. Well done!

... from the ad....
"... 2nd owner, meticulously maintained by both of us.... (two subs added by previous owner, mounted very professionally in carpeted box underneath observer seat with grill facing walk way), .... Previous owner installed red LED lights inside/throughout boat and under handle near transom--very professionally done"

T Scott
07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Since you have owned the boat outright since new, you have/will take the biggest depreciation if you sell it now. I would sell your trailer outright on ebay/craigslist, etc. and then spend the extra money to buy the tandem trailer you want.

SkiDog
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
All your hard work is again being used to help make the sale. Just goes to show, that appreciation for quality and job well done will never go out of style and can make a serious impression on someone down the line. Well done!

... from the ad....
"... 2nd owner, meticulously maintained by both of us.... (two subs added by previous owner, mounted very professionally in carpeted box underneath observer seat with grill facing walk way), .... Previous owner installed red LED lights inside/throughout boat and under handle near transom--very professionally done"

Yea, Shawn, that speaks highly of your abilities!

JohnE
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Ben's idea of finding someone to swap and you throw in some cash. I'm sure a lot of people living on a lake could care less about the tandem. You might even be able to work a deal with someone else buying a new X2 from your dealer.

On another note, I love my single axle. I've done the 1800 mile round trip to Charlotte 3 times in a year and wasn't worried at all, and had no problems. And the X2 isn't heavy enough to need a tandem. If I were you I'd keep what I have....Carry some spare parts and don't worry about the "what if's." I have a never used '06 wheel and tire for a single axle if you need a spare.

But if I were inclined to upgrade, it would be for an engine option. You have the RTP now? You'd really like the MCX.:D

Roonie's
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
No complaints about the RTP honestly. But if I was to upgrade I would get the MCX for resale value (and it looks really cool). I think I may just be irrational as I hate to fork over 14k out of my pocket to upgrade. I like the idea of swapping with someone for my trailer and cash. Great ideas.

JohnE
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Are you really that wary of the single axle?

ttu
07-22-2008, 06:08 PM
ronnie, you state that you have a "tight turn into the garage".

I can tell you from experience that going to a tandem trailer with make that job a whole lot harder.:mad:

do you carry a spare tire with your single axle trailer. that has always been my biggest concern when i had a single axle trailer.

my x2 came with a tandem, but i am lucky that have a straight back up for my boat storage so turning is not a issue.

JohnE
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM
ronnie, you state that you have a "tight turn into the garage".

I can tell you from experience that going to a tandem trailer with make that job a whole lot harder.:mad:

Good point!

Roonie's
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't care if it was just around town but I will be doing a regular trip every summer back west about a 3500 mile round trip. As well as weekend jaunts regularly to our cabin which are about 550 miles round trip. Thats a lot of miles on the trailer as well as some good mtn passes to go over. I do think about it.

Good point about the tight turn and yes I have a very tight turn to get into garage. I also have a spare for the trailer as well as some misc parts for the oil bath hub.

JohnE
07-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd still just carry a spare tire and wheel and a spare hub and some tools and a jack. More than once going to NC, I forgot the trailer was behind me. I was very concerned the first trip. Especially since in the aftermath of CSM '07 I ended up without a spare. Since then I just go and don't sweat it.

shepherd
07-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Like most, I think wanting a tandem trailer is a pretty lame excuse for buying a new boat.

But it might just work on the wife. If so, I say go for it! ;)

sand2snow22
07-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Roonie,

I know there was a guy with the same year boat as mine on WW looking for a tandem trailer. Might want to advertise that you're looking for one. Our local dealer sells a lot of boats with tandem trailers to people who live on Lake Oswego. Trailers get used twice a year. Someone out there might be interested if the color is right.

alletric
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
when I made the upgrade from our '03 to the '07 the way I convinced my wife was newer boat lower payments... she just didn't understand the concept of 7 years vs. 15 year payments. but she agreed to it.
I don't want to start a debate about financing a boat but just curious. Is this just a joke or do they finance boats for 7 and 15 years? Just wondering what the average legnth of financing is.

ShamrockIV
07-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't want to start a debate about financing a boat but just curious. Is this just a joke or do they finance boats for 7 and 15 years? Just wondering what the average legnth of financing is.

yep i think they will even go out to 20!!!!!

convince ur wife of the lower cost???

how is a lesser amount for twice as long saving money??

T Scott
07-23-2008, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=ShamrockIV;520521]
convince ur wife of the lower cost???

how is a lesser amount for twice as long saving money??[/QUOT

My thoughts exactly....

bigmac
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I had a single axle trailer on my last boat, lost one of the wheels from lug nut failure on the end-of-season 5 mile trip from the boat ramp back to my house (the trailer was very carefully maintained). That was a huge pain in the butt which would have been a lot easier if I could have limped back on three wheels. Ain't no limpin' anywhere if you have a wheel or bearing failure on a single axle - you're stuck on the side of the road until the thing can be loaded onto a flatbed trailer, or parts can be obtained to repair it on site. And that's assuming that the trailer or vehicle or something/someone else wasn't damaged in the event.

Such a failure might be very rare, but if it happens, it really sucks. Hauling short distances - I wouldn't be worried. Even if the worst happens, the closer you are to home the less pain is involved in such a failure. If we're talking Minnesota to Washington and back every year, you bet I'd want a twin-axle trailer.

Roonie's
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Such a failure might be very rare, but if it happens, it really sucks. Hauling short distances - I wouldn't be worried. Even if the worst happens, the closer you are to home the less pain is involved in such a failure. If we're talking Minnesota to Washington and back every year, you bet I'd want a twin-axle trailer.

My thoughts exactly bigmac!!!!! I can imagine myself on a busy highway with two young kids in the car loaded in the middle of po-dunk Montana with no city in either direction for 100 miles waiting for AAA to come get the boat because there is no way I am leaving it alone. Then have to find a hotel and wait for the repair shop to open as it is the weekend.

Anyways I got the pricing for X2 09 and it would be too big of a price gap to justify an upgrade considering our 07 boat is still so new to us (46hrs on it).

I will be going the route of finding a trailer and advertising for it.

3event
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Another vote with the wife, sorry dude.

How good is your dealer / how tight are ya? See if they will order up a new tandem and trade you, maybe they could give some new boat buyer a discount for a 2yr old trailer under their new X2. It's out there. I got nuthin.

Jonathan94
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Roonie's;520551]My thoughts exactly bigmac!!!!! I can imagine myself on a busy highway with two young kids in the car loaded in the middle of po-dunk Montana with no city in either direction for 100 miles waiting for AAA to come get the boat because there is no way I am leaving it alone. Then have to find a hotel and wait for the repair shop to open as it is the weekend.

..QUOTE]

This is almost exactly what happened to me a few years back, coming home from Washington through British Columbia on the Coquihalla highway and if anyone knows that road... not a good place to get stuck! Fortunately it was just before a turnaround so I could pull over onto a side road. Had to wait until late that night for a flatdeck to haul it in to town (Merritt) not far way. Very scary to follow it like that I tell you.

Forturnately we were pulling it with the truck camper so we just slept in the Tirecraft parking lot until they opened. By the way, serious props to them for getting us on our way - if you are stuck in that area, visit them!

Ended up I had blown a seal, which would have been an easy fix IF I HAD THE PARTS! Now I make sure to carry plenty of extra things like this.

I do like the single axel for its agility, but sure would like a tandem on a road trip!

(sorry, not the best photo)

Sodar
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have discussed this several times, but out here in the west, 95% of the boats no matter big or small are on tandems. It is not a issue of whether or not a single axle can handle the boat, but of convenience and peice of mind. There are not many lakes/rivers around here, so most take the 500 mile round trip out to the California/Arizona/Nevada border to find water. I gotta tell you, after being let down by a Sea-Doo trailer on the side of the road, I would never thing of towing my boat on a single axle. 2 years ago, on my friends Sanger, the brake caliper on the rear axle locked up. It was a Sunday evening, 150 miles from home and everyone had to be to work the next morning. With a tandem, we had the option to stick a block under the frame between the axle of the front wheel (to gain fender clearance) and ratched up with rear axle and headed for home. Everyone made it to work the next day and the boat was not left overnight on the side of the road. There is so much to be said about the way tandems tow and handle, but like everyone harps on, they are tougher to move BY HAND. I do not understand the logic of complaining about getting them into tight spots if you are backing them in with a vehicle... I can get mine in anywhere that a single axle can.

All in all, I vote for a new trailer. Talk to your dealer and see if they ever order boats without trailers. If they do, have them order you a Tandem on their next boat without the trailer. This way you will not need to pay freight and I believe the trailers are cheaper than if they are bought individually. Then, see if anyone wants yours... maybe the dealer ship does for a shop trailer?

dapicatti
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
New Trailer, keep the boat, save the $$ for college. You are going to need it.