PDA

View Full Version : pylon replacement 83 S&S

furevo
04-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I removed the center floor sections on my 1983 S&S to replace the carpet. The front one was a bear to get out because the plyon corroded enough to mushroom around the fiberglass. I chisled the corrosion out and used a wire brush clean it up. The pylon has taken on a slight hourglass shape where it meets the crossmember. I'm worried it has weakened the bar.
Has anyone replaced their pylon? Where can I get one? Dealers can't get them. I called DIM & they can't either. I guess I can have one made at a machine shop.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

AirJunky
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I sold mine on Ebay some time ago. Might be an option, although I haven't seen a lot of pylons on there either.
Now it's not a ski boat, but a Sky Ski boat.

planoboy
04-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I bot a pylon from Texas Mastercraft after I purchased my used '94 225VRS.
It was an option that did not come w/ the boat.
I called MC in Tenn, and got the part number, then called dealer and ordered. MC in Tenn, said they had part numbers from like 40 inches up to 55 inches.
Paid like $300, I think, for 48 inch pylon. (total length)

6ballsisall
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I bet you could have that done at a local machine shop for a very reasonable price. Might check there. You could pick your materials then too!

furevo
04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll check with a local machine shop. Are the special materials I should I ask for?
Thanks, Tom

ski_king
04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I agree with local machine shop.
I believe the OEMís are either 2024 or 6061 aluminum.
The machine shop probably knows of a local place to get it black anodized also.

tph
04-23-2005, 01:56 AM
I removed the center floor sections on my 1983 S&S to replace the carpet. The front one was a bear to get out because the plyon corroded enough to mushroom around the fiberglass. I chisled the corrosion out and used a wire brush clean it up. The pylon has taken on a slight hourglass shape where it meets the crossmember. I'm worried it has weakened the bar.
Has anyone replaced their pylon? Where can I get one? Dealers can't get them. I called DIM & they can't either. I guess I can have one made at a machine shop.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.skidim.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=229&PN=1

P.S. I considered buying that boat earlier this year. It looks like it has a lot of potential. Also, the trailer is great. Please keep us posted on your restoration progress.

MarkP
04-23-2005, 09:20 AM
The only pylon that I see for sale is probably too short?? Its 37" tall and for a V drive. But thats all I got, sorry.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/pre-owned_sales.htm

furevo
04-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Maybe this will help:

http://www.skidim.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=229&PN=1

P.S. I considered buying that boat earlier this year. It looks like it has a lot of potential. Also, the trailer is great. Please keep us posted on your restoration progress.

Thanks for the link. I think the crossmember is shot too & I think I'll have to get one made @ a machine shop.
BTW - how did you find the boat's condition when you inspected it?
Do you have any history on the boat?
What kept you from buying?
Thanks, Tom

furevo
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
The only pylon that I see for sale is probably too short?? Its 37" tall and for a V drive. But thats all I got, sorry.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/pre-owned_sales.htm

Thanks for the link - it looks like one from a new prostar will fit. I'm investigating.

dmgroh
05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Furevo: When I'm finished with my floor, I'll post a picture of a makeshift pylon I did about 10 years ago for less than $10. It works so well, that I'm still using it and finally gave up looking for the factory pylon.

furevo
05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Furevo: When I'm finished with my floor, I'll post a picture of a makeshift pylon I did about 10 years ago for less than $10. It works so well, that I'm still using it and finally gave up looking for the factory pylon.
You've got my attention...any ideas would be appreciated

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Way to leave us hangin! What did you make it out of???

dmgroh
05-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Go look at the end of the "floor void" post. There's a pic.

MarkP
05-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the link - it looks like one from a new prostar will fit. I'm investigating.
Furveo,

I donít know if you found a pylon yet but I came across this sale on a 42 incher.

http://trinityboardshop.com/ProShop/product_details.cfm?item_id=998

PE4ME
05-15-2005, 10:17 AM
if you know where the holes are and the diameters you can get made at the local shop. 125$ this was solid and more importantly to MY spec's. this was on the ole Dixie...only had one bore. This was an indistructable design.

furevo
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the tip - I saw that one too, but decided to repair the pylon I've got. A new aluminum sleeve was welded around the damaged area and an aluminum crossmember was made to accept it - super duper strong. I'll get some photos to post