View Full Version : Where is the transmisson vent / breather

07-22-2008, 01:29 AM
I know this is an old issue and I've done a lot of searching but I haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I have a 03 X2 and I've been trying to get the water out out of the transmission. I know I need to check the cooler for leaks and keep water out of the bilge and possibly change the tranny seal. I've heard that when Mastercraft was having a lot of trouble with water in the trannys it was from pressure in the transmission case sucking water through the seal so they added a vent. This may have been a recall but I'm not sure. Could someone please tell me what the vent looks like or post a picture. Thanks.

07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
On Velvet Drive transmissions the vent is a 3/8" dia. steel, spring operated vent located topside just foreward and right of the neutral safety switch. It is just a small tube with a cap on it. To test just push it in and it should spring back out quickly. If it doesn't then it is bad. Sorry, no pic.

07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
So it sounds like the vent is spring loaded and it can go bad? If I have a vent it's defiantly not working because every time I unscrew the dip stick in the transmission there is a sucking noise.

07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
The vent can become clogged for various reasons. It is an inexpensive and easy repair. Just look on the top of the transmission for the vent.

07-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Looked at my Hurth transmission last night. The vent is located on the top next to the data plate. Seems like that is the place to look for yours.

07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
there it be.

07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the picture. That is where I thought it was, but I couldn't tell how it worked as a vent. Like I said before when I pull the dipstick the tranny case is either sucking air in or letting it out. Either way the vent is not working. Looks like I need a new one. I'm guessing it's not a part my dealer will have on the shelf, I'll find out soon.