PDA

View Full Version : Where is the transmisson vent / breather

jbr383
07-22-2008, 02:29 AM
I know this is an old issue and I've done a lot of searching but I haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I have a 03 X2 and I've been trying to get the water out out of the transmission. I know I need to check the cooler for leaks and keep water out of the bilge and possibly change the tranny seal. I've heard that when Mastercraft was having a lot of trouble with water in the trannys it was from pressure in the transmission case sucking water through the seal so they added a vent. This may have been a recall but I'm not sure. Could someone please tell me what the vent looks like or post a picture. Thanks.

Skipper
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
On Velvet Drive transmissions the vent is a 3/8" dia. steel, spring operated vent located topside just foreward and right of the neutral safety switch. It is just a small tube with a cap on it. To test just push it in and it should spring back out quickly. If it doesn't then it is bad. Sorry, no pic.

jbr383
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
So it sounds like the vent is spring loaded and it can go bad? If I have a vent it's defiantly not working because every time I unscrew the dip stick in the transmission there is a sucking noise.

Skipper
07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
The vent can become clogged for various reasons. It is an inexpensive and easy repair. Just look on the top of the transmission for the vent.

Skipper
07-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Looked at my Hurth transmission last night. The vent is located on the top next to the data plate. Seems like that is the place to look for yours.

denverd1
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
there it be.

jbr383
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the picture. That is where I thought it was, but I couldn't tell how it worked as a vent. Like I said before when I pull the dipstick the tranny case is either sucking air in or letting it out. Either way the vent is not working. Looks like I need a new one. I'm guessing it's not a part my dealer will have on the shelf, I'll find out soon.