PDA

View Full Version : boat wont start.. HELP

law32ps87
07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
My 87 prostar has been sidelined for a couple of weeks because of a bent strut an shaft. I have finished the install and aligning the engine and decided to run the engine since it hasnt been running in a while. Well when i tried starting it the starter stayed engaged and wouldnt stop until i pulled the battery cables. I then pulled the cable off the starter, hooked the battery cables back up, and got a reading of about 13 V with the ignition off. I then hit the solenoid thinkin it was stuck, the reading then dropped to 0 but wouldnt work again after that. So I bought a new solenoid and all new cables since mine were looking old. I hooked everything back up and didnt get anything, not even a click. I also greased the starter bendix and cleaned the mounting location. I am getting a lil less than 13V to the battery side of the solenoid but noting on the starter side when i try starting. I have also jumped the solenoid and the starter did engage so I know the starter is fine. I also get like 10.5V to the I and S posts on the solenoid with the ignition in the run position. I have checked and cleaned all the ground points, starter, solenoid, and battery. Please help i wanna get back on the water before fall classes start.

Thanks Matt

law32ps87
07-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Also does anyone know if you should be seeing voltage on the S post of the solenoid when the ignition is in the run position, or only when cranking

TMCNo1
07-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Also does anyone know if you should be seeing voltage on the S post of the solenoid when the ignition is in the run position, or only when cranking
Sorry, I misunderstood the question and can't answer.

law32ps87
07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood the question and can't answer.

Sorry... i was talking about the yellow/red wire that comes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch up to the starter relay.. From what i understand that wire energizes the relay which then allows power to the starter. But should i be getting a voltage reading there at the relay only when i am cranking or when the ignition is just in the run position. If that makes any sense.

TMCNo1
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry... i was talking about the yellow/red wire that comes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch up to the starter relay.. From what i understand that wire energizes the relay which then allows power to the starter. But should i be getting a voltage reading there at the relay only when i am cranking or when the ignition is just in the run position. If that makes any sense.

I think JimN can answer that better than I can! Anyone?

law32ps87
07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Problem solved. I cleaned all the grounding locations again. I decided to try using the old solenoid again and after i tightened everything up, she fired right up. I cant wait to hit the lake early tomorrow morning!