PDA

View Full Version : Tune up question

boyd
07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
1991 Prostar 190 351 Ford Indmar.
I brought the boat home from the lake to do some adjustments. Since I have it home thought I'd do a tune up on it. Many many nuts and bolts have never been turned.
Boat has 485 hours. Freshwater only.

Here's my questions

1.) Do I have a filter in the water/fuel seperator AND the fuel pump?
Skidim told me I need part #'s 0506 and 0501. My owners manuel only mentions the
"Fuel Filter/Water Seperator". Is there a cartridge in the fuel pump also?

2.) Can I get my plugs and wires from a local store? Are the wires the same length?

thanks.
boyd

boyd
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Got the answer.

rob935
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
plugs and wires wouldnt be the same as auto/car items , better off getting the proper marine plugs and wires ,

east tx skier
07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
plugs and wires wouldnt be the same as auto/car items , better off getting the proper marine plugs and wires ,

Automotive spark plugs will work fine. For the 351, Autolite 24 with the copper core work well. The trick with the wires is to get the right angle boots. Original wires were Taylor 8mm. But check with NAPA. I got mine from White Lake Marine (part number in link below). They are for PCM, but the length was right on and they were around $25. Of course, if you have a local MC dealer, I'm sure they'd appreciate your business.

If you have a fuel/water separator, it will be on the port side of the engine just about even with the floor. It is a white spin-on variety that is available at NAPA. The fuel filter element is toward the centerline from the spin-on. There is a screw that holds the fuel pump housing in place. The filter sits inside the housing. The NAPA part numbers for both of these filters and various other 351 parts is here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=166941&postcount=33).