PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer for paddle wheel pickup

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
So Im pretty well fed up with my air guide gauge. What type of gauge would I need to buy in order to share the airmar paddlewheel that perfect pass uses? If perfect pass can splice in an use the OEM paddlewheel on some boats, I would assume the reverse could also be done. Id love to get rid of my pitots and just use the paddlewheel.

east tx skier
07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Have you tried the replacement pitot pickups that skidim sells? They work much better than the stock pickups.

As for a paddlewheel, the most recent incarnation of Stargazer no longer uses it. If you're going to get Perfect Pass at some point, you may want to wait on the paddlewheel.

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
The lines clog up on mine, and since the boat stays at the camp, I have no way to routinely blow them out. I havnt tried the skidim pitots, but I the airguide ones are easy enough to clean out.

I already have perfect pass 6.5ng, so I wont be upgrading to star gazer. Not to mention with teh recent legal issues / sale to Zero - Off, Im not convinced an upgrade would be wise at this point until things settle down.

rspiecha
07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
They have calmed down. PP get to install StarGazer on 2008 and older boats, and moves into the I/O boat lines, and keeps current installed base. Zero off gets the 2009 and forward niche market powered by PCM and Indmar.

Rob

east tx skier
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
The lines clog up on mine, and since the boat stays at the camp, I have no way to routinely blow them out. I havnt tried the skidim pitots, but I the airguide ones are easy enough to clean out.

I already have perfect pass 6.5ng, so I wont be upgrading to star gazer. Not to mention with teh recent legal issues / sale to Zero - Off, Im not convinced an upgrade would be wise at this point until things settle down.

They were not sold to Zero Off. The replacement pickups are not nearly so prone to clogging as the old ones. They run about $13 a piece.

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
They were not sold to Zero Off. The replacement pickups are not nearly so prone to clogging as the old ones. They run about $13 a piece.

I meant that the GPS segment of their 'future' business was ceded to zero off. If you want to nit pick! :D

Anyway, as I mentioned the pitot is easy to clean. The air tubes are not. Switching to the new pitot wont save my tubes from getting clogged... Wait, that wasnt supposed to sound like that!!!

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
The Skidim pitot here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B , is a flow thru design and should be less likely to clog.

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh Nos! Nobody reads my threads!!!1111eleven

I do thank you both for your advice, but my lines are clogging, not my pitots themselves. I dont have an air compressor at the dock, nor do I feel like taking the dash apart every month or two.

I cant imagine its as difficult as it is to google an electronic marine speedometer.

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh Nos! Nobody reads my threads!!!1111eleven

I do thank you both for your advice, but my lines are clogging, not my pitots themselves. I dont have an air compressor at the dock, nor do I feel like taking the dash apart every month or two.

I cant imagine its as difficult as it is to google an electronic marine speedometer.

Then let me re-phrase it. Due to the flow thru design, the line will be less likely to get debris up in them and clog.
Other than that, "That's All Folks"!

ski_king
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
......The replacement pickups are not nearly so prone to clogging as the old ones. They run about $13 a piece.

I just installed them onmy boat last week and they work great!!!!!

My only regret is not doing it a long time ago!

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Then let me re-phrase it. Due to the flow thru design, the line will be less likely to get debris up in them and clog.
Other than that, "That's All Folks"!

OK, that makes a good bit of sense. However I always assumed the sludge was just a factor of the boat sitting in the water. Like algae growing inside the tubes. not sure how the flow through design would help that though. For the 14 bucks ill give it a shot next time I place an order. At least then ill be justified when I take out my air guide gauges, shoot them, smash them with the gallagher sledge-o-matic, set them on fire, collect the ashes, and feed them to the neighbors dog.

ski_king
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
When you do replace them, don't destroy. ell on ebay or somewhere, they are rare and bring decent money working or not.

GuitsBoy
07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
The ebay money wont buy me the same kind of sanity!!!

Also, might want to bring the sarcasm detectors in for service guys... :)

But really, Thanks for putting up with my crap guys!!

Good advice, although I would still like to find out about the paddle wheel based speedo if anyone has that info.

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
When you replace them, contact me, I'll take both of them if reasonably priced and pay the shipping!