PDA

View Full Version : What prop for a 205?

Texas205
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I had a altercation between a rock and my prop and while they both suffered damage I believe my prop is terminal. I'll take this "opportunity" to replace the old stock 13x13 with a newer design 4 blade and I was curious what prop ya'll might recommend.

Boat: 1994 205, stock 350 engine
Use: General family activities, a little ski, a little tube, a little wakeboard and a little cruising around.

Please let me know some ideas, Thanks

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Contact Eric here, http://www.ojprops.com/ and he can aid you in get a prop that works for your requirements

russlars
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Don't get too stuck on getting a 4 blade. The new 3 blade CNC props are a huge improvement over the older 3 blades. Both ACME and OJ make great props and they can help you out with what is best for your application.

etduc
07-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I had a altercation between a rock and my prop and while they both suffered damage I believe my prop is terminal. I'll take this "opportunity" to replace the old stock 13x13 with a newer design 4 blade and I was curious what prop ya'll might recommend.

Use: General family activities, a little ski, a little tube, a little wakeboard and a little cruising around.

This might help. http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

Doug, did ALOT of testing. The boat he used, for the comparison, was a "93 205.

I have a '94 Prostar 205, with the standard engine. I use an Acme, (had it from another boat) Wouldn't hesitate, to buy a CNC OJ.

It is worth spending the extra $$ for the CNC versions.

What part of Texas?

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
This might help. http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

Doug, did ALOT of testing. The boat he used, for the comparison, was a "93 205.

I have a '94 Prostar 205, with the standard engine. I use an Acme, (had it from another boat) Wouldn't hesitate, to buy a CNC OJ.

It is worth spending the extra $$ for the CNC versions.

What part of Texas?

You also should make note that those tests were done in 2005 according to the date in the link and technology has changed over the last 3 years and there may be other options out there today that weren't available then.:twocents:

jdl xstar
12-26-2009, 04:38 PM

So, did we get a consensus on this? My dad has the same boat/engine and needs a new prop. I can get OJ Eric's opinion but also wanted to hear what other props besides OJ would work. Primary use: slalom, barefoot. thanks

Footin
12-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I have the same boat and went from a stock 13x13 to an Acme 541 13x12, What a difference! Awesome prop!

I am sure you would find the same improvement from and OJ.

east tx skier
12-26-2009, 10:54 PM
You also should make note that those tests were done in 2005 according to the date in the link and technology has changed over the last 3 years and there may be other options out there today that weren't available then.:twocents:

How specifically has the technology changed? I'd understand if you had said that, for instance, OJ is using more cup in its props than it may have in 2005. But as far as technology, to what are you referring?

Harold, please don't take this personally, but out of curiosity, have you ever run an Acme for comparison's sake? I've often, if not always, seen you refer people to OJ when they ask what brand. When I spent a fair amount of time testing the two brands, I thought each of the props in that test had its superior points over the other, and I believe Eric is a strong supporter of his product, but even with that first hand experience, I've often had a hard time recommending one over the other.

That said, you are correct. That test I spent a great deal of time performing and compiling for the nice people on this site is several years old. If the technology has changed in the prop world between now and then, it is certainly something to consider. But even in that instance, if a purchaser doesn't try both, he'll never know if what he ends up with is truly the best prop for him.

To the original poster and anyone else who is asking, I would recommend you contact both OJ and Acme and see if they still offer a trial period with a money back guarantee. The only way to really know what suits you best is to try them both. My $.02.

Jesus_Freak
12-27-2009, 08:13 AM

Welcome, and please keep us informed of your testing, results, and choice.

Thrall
12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I think TMC is sponshured by OJ!:rolleyes:
Had a Acme 543 (I think) 13x11.5 on my '96 190. Huge difference from the 13x13 stock prop. It's billed as a high altitude prop, but does not over rev at low alt and the boat jumps out of the water. Sold it to a guy back east and he loves it too. Didn't lose any top end, but definately didn't gain any by pitching down, so probably not great for barefoot, but exceptional fo everything else.
That said, I'm looking for a new prop for my X2 and would consider both OJ and Acme equally.

justinglow
12-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree with Doug. I have had both brands of props on my past boats. I am currently running the Acme now. They are both great brands with great support. I know first hand if you ever had a problem with an Acme prop even if you didn't buy it new from them they will do their best to make you happy. Even if it meant swapping it for a different one.

BrianM
12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Ditto on what Doug and justinglow say. Get a few props from both OJ and Acme and give them a try. I have run both brands on my boat and have tested a total of about 7 so far. I ran an Acme 541 13x12 for a few years and just recently switched to an OJ XMP 13x11.5. Search "props" for lots of info.

Here is a comparison I did this past summer on 3 different props. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31670&highlight=prop

east tx skier
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
It's been a couple of days since I posed the question, and I really was hoping to get a little insight as to what sort of new technology, if any, has been employed in the CNC props in recent years. Anybody have any info on this? Forget brand for a second. What's new in propellers?

russlars
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
It's been a couple of days since I posed the question, and I really was hoping to get a little insight as to what sort of new technology, if any, has been employed in the CNC props in recent years. Anybody have any info on this? Forget brand for a second. What's new in propellers?
I think you have your answer Doug!;)
I have also tested several OJ and ACME props on my 205 and it seems that each one has it's particular strengths and weaknesses in each brand. You definitely need to test a few of them so that you can decide which meets your criteria the best. It is hard to go wrong with either brand though. One nice thing about Eric at OJ is that he will send you a bunch of props to try with no strings attached and no time limit to test. ACME required me to purchase the prop I wanted to test and then send it back within 30 days for credit or exchange. When it comes to customer service, OJ is hard to beat!:)

east tx skier
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I think you have your answer Doug!;)
I have also tested several OJ and ACME props on my 205 and it seems that each one has it's particular strengths and weaknesses in each brand. You definitely need to test a few of them so that you can decide which meets your criteria the best. It is hard to go wrong with either brand though. One nice thing about Eric at OJ is that he will send you a bunch of props to try with no strings attached and no time limit to test. ACME required me to purchase the prop I wanted to test and then send it back within 30 days for credit or exchange. When it comes to customer service, OJ is hard to beat!:)

I guess so. Glad to know my comparison isn't completely out of date after all.

Hmm, sounds like Acme has changed its system a bit. That's too bad. You used to be able to send it back for a refund way back when.

I agree. Eric was great to deal with when I was running a comparison, not to mention how wonderful OJ is when we have needed prop repairs. My father in law, who helped me with the tests in 2005 is currently running a 4 blade xmp, which he may need to have repaired soon.

Note to self, take prop puller generously donated by Eric to father in law's, remove dinged up prop and send off to OJ for repairs this weekend. P.S.S. Include note to have new technology applied to woefully out of date XMP prop purchased in 2005. 8p

EJ OJPROP
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Most of the new propeller designs or concepts have been developed for the wakeboard/surfing boats. I would not really call it technology but more of changing the concept, that a larger diameter lower pitch propeller is better than just a lower pitch propeller to improve low end. Not to make this response and ad for OJ but we did introduce the larger diameter lower pitch concept which is now all the rage.

Our basic design, pitch distribution, rake angles, has not changed much in the past 60 years or so. It seems the thoughts on propeller design my Great Grandfather Oscar had were well ahead of his time as our basic design is still unique and all our own.

Send those repairs in boys as it is a long cold winter.

east tx skier
12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Most of the new propeller designs or concepts have been developed for the wakeboard/surfing boats. I would not really call it technology but more of changing the concept, that a larger diameter lower pitch propeller is better than just a lower pitch propeller to improve low end. Not to make this response and ad for OJ but we did introduce the larger diameter lower pitch concept which is now all the rage.

Our basic design, pitch distribution, rake angles, has not changed much in the past 60 years or so. It seems the thoughts on propeller design my Great Grandfather Oscar had were well ahead of his time as our basic design is still unique and all our own.

Send those repairs in boys as it is a long cold winter.

Thanks, Eric. Hope all is going well for you guys. Since my father in law is a skiing sort, hopefully we can get the rebuild without the extra diameter. It's interesting to read that because, IIRC, his prop is a 12.5x12, which is smaller than the 13x13 stocker on the 205. Is the trend on props for ski boats a slightly smaller diameter, or is it just the ability to have a more accurate measurement as a result of CNC milling?

russlars
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmm, sounds like Acme has changed its system a bit. That's too bad. You used to be able to send it back for a refund way back when.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that upon return ACME will apply either a full refund or credit towards another trial and possible purchase of another prop. Hopefully that makes sense now.

east tx skier
12-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Good to know. Always better to be able to try before you buy, especially on a $400+ item.

russlars
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Eric. Hope all is going well for you guys. Since my father in law is a skiing sort, hopefully we can get the rebuild without the extra diameter. It's interesting to read that because, IIRC, his prop is a 12.5x12, which is smaller than the 13x13 stocker on the 205. Is the trend on props for ski boats a slightly smaller diameter, or is it just the ability to have a more accurate measurement as a result of CNC milling?
OJ should have no problem rebuilding that prop to original specs for you.
Your father and I must think alike. After testing several different props I settled in on the 12.5 X 12 OJ 4 blade XMP as my prop of choice for slalom also. It gives a nice smooth pull out of the hole and the flattest wake to cross IMO. I still like my ACME 541 as a good all around prop, but I have to ease up on the throttle a bit on that one or it will pull you right out of your ski and it definitely puts out a taller wake than the OJ at the line lengths I ski at.

east tx skier
12-29-2009, 05:51 PM
This will be its first time in for repair, so I think it should be a keeper. He got it after sending his old 4 blade force in one too many times with a bit of a "ripped" blade. If for some reason they can't fix it, I was going to suggest he try the 3 blade. Looks like it comes in 3 different variations form .8--.110 cup. I'm guessing a little more bite out of the hole with increased cup. But how much rpm would one expect to lose b/w .8 and .110?

EJ OJPROP
12-30-2009, 09:12 AM

The 12.5 X 12 4-blade is basicly the same size as our 13 X 13 4-blade. The 13 X 13 4-blade was "rounded up" to keep things simple at the time. The diameter of the propeller is determined by the gear ratio of the transmission and use of the boat. Ski boats with 1:1 transmissions cannot run a prop for a 1.5:1 transmission wakeboard application. The 1:1 will always be less diameter relative to pitch.

All our patterns, for the CNC finished and hand crafted props, are CNC machined. The accuracy of the finished parts are very similar. The only reason I called our 13 X 13 FORCE 4-blade a 13 X 13 was to keep it simple. The actual diameter is less than 13 and the pitch is a little less than 13. We stamp a "median" number of the pitch of the propeller measured on a specific pitch line, most of our props are not constant pitch.

EJ OJPROP
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
This will be its first time in for repair, so I think it should be a keeper. He got it after sending his old 4 blade force in one too many times with a bit of a "ripped" blade. If for some reason they can't fix it, I was going to suggest he try the 3 blade. Looks like it comes in 3 different variations form .8--.110 cup. I'm guessing a little more bite out of the hole with increased cup. But how much rpm would one expect to lose b/w .8 and .110?

.090 is the cup on most of our 1:1 propellers. Going from a .090 to a .110 would decrease the RPM 200-300. Each boat is a little different so it can vary how much you will gain or lose with regards to more or less cup.

russlars
12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
If you decide to add more cup to your 12.5 X 12 when it is repaired let me know how it works out for you.

east tx skier
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Eric. Russlars, I doubt we will be making adjustments to the four blade if it is repairable. I was just considering what to suggest to my father in law if he had to buy a new prop. I was thinking, based on Brian's review, to suggest he try the 13x11.5 3 blade to see if it softened out his wake a bit. That prop is sold with 3 different cups. Looks like .9 is the median on that and is what they tend to sell.