PDA

View Full Version : Overheated: engine alarm failed to sound

Skipper
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
I was getting pulled through the course when the boat began to run sluggishly. When I climbed aboard to diagnose the problem I found that the water temp was pegged. The engine was super hot and the transmission fluid was literally boiling. The engine temp alarm never sounded to warn of the problem.

The engine overheated because the intake became clogged with tiny bits of debris. I USED to not have a strainer. Once I cleaned the intake the boat cooled off and ran just fine. Not sure if there may be some long term damage from it getting so hot. Suppose checking compression would be a good idea.

Curious about why the idiot alarm did not sound when the engine overheated.

JimN
07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Did you let it cool down before re-starting it? If not, the cold water is a huge shock to the engine and can damage it.

Do you hear a buzzer when you turn the key to ON before starting it?

billr
07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I insist that whoever drives my boat, ( usually one of my daughters ) always watch the temperature gauge, and the GPS for MPH.

Skipper
07-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I let the engine cool before doing anything. There wasn't any buzzing noise at all. No alarm light. Just a very hot engine.

I have been married more than 20 years; I cannot insist on anything. I was happy when my wife learned to keep it between the guide balls. Perfect Pass saved our marriage.

CantRepeat
07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I was getting pulled through the course when the boat began to run sluggishly. When I climbed aboard to diagnose the problem I found that the water temp was pegged. The engine was super hot and the transmission fluid was literally boiling. The engine temp alarm never sounded to warn of the problem.

The engine overheated because the intake became clogged with tiny bits of debris. I USED to not have a strainer. Once I cleaned the intake the boat cooled off and ran just fine. Not sure if there may be some long term damage from it getting so hot. Suppose checking compression would be a good idea.

Curious about why the idiot alarm did not sound when the engine overheated.

I would change the fuilds, oil and tranny, before doing anything else. If the tranny fuild boiled I'm sure it needs to be replaced.

Skipper
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I would change the fuilds, oil and tranny, before doing anything else. If the tranny fuild boiled I'm sure it needs to be replaced.

Did that. Sad thing is I had just done an oil and tranny fluid change before going on vacation. I only use synthetic so that costs some bucks.