PDA

View Full Version : Help with a big oops!! Prop and strut questions

CantRepeat
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
First off, nice to meet everyone! :o

Ok, yesterday was a pretty bad day boating wise for us. The lake was down about 2 feet so we stay new the channel markers and still ended up running a ground and hitting some rocks, twice.

First we hit a small sandbar going about 25 mph which brought us to a stop pretty fast. No one was injured thank god. Took us about 20 minutes to dig out of what was really soft sand, no rocks at all.

I check the prop while still in the water and it was complete fine. I should have been happy with this and left until the lake filled back up. But I decided not to listen to inner self.

We move about 3 miles into the main river and started some wakeboard and then it really happened. I could feel to very hard tuds near the back of the boat and I motored down and pulled in the skier.

I hop in the water and check the prop. This time all three blades were damaged pretty bad. We got a pull back to the launch and went on home.

This morning I check the rudder which seems straight. The prop is bent pretty bad and I think the strut is bent as well. So my questions are.

1. What's the best way to check the rudder for straightness?

2. Does the strut in the following photo look bent to the left?

Large photo of strut. (http://www.mikesell.net/strut.jpg)

3. Does anyone have a good vendor on, possibly on the eastcoast, for drivetrain parts?

Any tips, thoughts, offers of advice are welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

coz
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
First off, nice to meet everyone! :o

Ok, yesterday was a pretty bad day boating wise for us. The lake was down about 2 feet so we stay new the channel markers and still ended up running a ground and hitting some rocks, twice.

First we hit a small sandbar going about 25 mph which brought us to a stop pretty fast. No one was injured thank god. Took us about 20 minutes to dig out of what was really soft sand, no rocks at all.

I check the prop while still in the water and it was complete fine. I should have been happy with this and left until the lake filled back up. But I decided not to listen to inner self.

We move about 3 miles into the main river and started some wakeboard and then it really happened. I could feel to very hard tuds near the back of the boat and I motored down and pulled in the skier.

I hop in the water and check the prop. This time all three blades were damaged pretty bad. We got a pull back to the launch and went on home.

This morning I check the rudder which seems straight. The prop is bent pretty bad and I think the strut is bent as well. So my questions are.

1. What's the best way to check the rudder for straightness?

2. Does the strut in the following photo look bent to the left?

Large photo of strut. (http://www.mikesell.net/strut.jpg)

3. Does anyone have a good vendor on, possibly on the eastcoast, for drivetrain parts?

Any tips, thoughts, offers of advice are welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

Sorry to hear that T :confused: try here for parts http://www.skidim.com/ check that shaft too and good luck.

BriEOD
07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
That ***, but could have been worse.

I once did the same thing, so don't feel bad. I chewed up the prop and bent my shaft. With that said, a good machine shop can fix your prop and likely straighten your strut for a few $100. Call around.

JohnnyB
07-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Prop can be fixed by a shop.

Hopefully, knowledgable others will chime in, but I would recommend replacing the strut and the shaft....the strut is bent and I'll bet the shaft is, too.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, call Ski-dim...they'll be very helpful. You may as well inquire about dripless packing system while you're at it as you're going to disassemble all to replace the strut/shaft and do the alignment.

Glad no one got hurt.

P.S......by the picture, I think you lost your rudder :D

CantRepeat
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the information/help.

I've gotten everything taken apart and ended up with this list.

Bent prop shaft
Bent and twisted strut
Crack rudder housing
Mangled prop
One very bruised ego :D

The good deal is the rudder is still straight and there is no damage to the hull. Thanks for the tip on the vendors also. I'm sure to get this fixed in the evenings this week and will be back on the lake this weekend.

For got about this photo of the Carnage (http://www.mikesell.net/damage.jpg)!

TMCNo1
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Here are other sources for underwater gear parts, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm and http://www.ojprops.com/

But, as usual, don't forget your local MC dealer and those here on TT.

CantRepeat
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I do have another quick question about rudders and ports.

Can you replace just the rudder port/housing and not the rudder or are they a match set? I seem to recall someone telling me you had to do both if you did the rudder, but I'm not sure if you do housing.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks again.

TMCNo1
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I do have another quick question about rudders and ports.

Can you replace just the rudder port/housing and not the rudder or are they a match set? I seem to recall someone telling me you had to do both if you did the rudder, but I'm not sure if you do housing.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks again.

I think you can get the individual pieces, but I would call everyone and ask to be sure.

Kevin 89MC
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Just wanted to say good luck with the repairs. We did pretty much the same thing w/ same damage about 9 years ago. Decided to make an insurance claim and let the dealership fix it (wanted to get back on the water ASAP, and didn't feel comfortable tackling it myself back then).

I was skiing, and saw the boat lift up about a foot, almost out of the water. My heart just sank. Luckily the boat didn't! We were able to idle back to the dock. I was just shocked that we had no fiberglass/hull damage. These boats are built tough!
Good luck,
Kevin

CantRepeat
07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey guys, thanks again. I got the parts ordered and I'm still under a grand so that's not to bad. I'm sure the boat will end up running better then before. To tell the truth there was already some small vibrations that need to be look at anyway(or I'm just trying to make myself feel better).

CantRepeat
07-22-2008, 11:36 AM
BTW: got all my parts from Elbert's. They were pretty knowledgable on just what I need and what would work on the boat.

CantRepeat
07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
I recieved the strut, prop shaft, and rudder port housing yesterday. I installed the the strut and prop shaft then I realigned the shaft by moving the motor to the left about 1/8 inch. It all spins so nicely now.

The rudder housing was bent a lot more then I thought. When I was pulling the rudder out I could turn it sideways and lower it down past the rudder protector on the trailer. Now, with the new port installed I will have to either raise the boat up or move it back on the trailer to install it.

The good news is I'll have it all back together by sat morning so we are on for another great summer weekend.

I did want to thank everyone for thier input and make note that Elberts.com was right on the money for the replacement parts.

Thanks again everyone!

T Scott
07-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Is your boat insured? If so, depending on your deductable, you might want to check with your ploicy to see if this type of damage is covered.

Skipper
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I recieved the strut, prop shaft, and rudder port housing yesterday. I installed the the strut and prop shaft then I realigned the shaft by moving the motor to the left about 1/8 inch. It all spins so nicely now.

Driveshaft alignment is very important. It should be no more than .003". Separate the shaft coupling and transmission coupling so there is a small gap. Insert a feeler guage between the two couplings from 12 oclock. Then insert the guage from the 3 oclock, 6 oclock, and 9 oclock positions. There should not be more than .003" difference in any of the gaps. Continue to adjust until it is within tolerance.

Good luck.

CantRepeat
07-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Any one know the torque setting on the propeller nut?

And I have a one more question for anyone that might know.

Now that my strut and prop shaft are straight and lined up, it seems that my propeller is now offset to the right of the rudder when looking from behind. Is this a correct location for a straight system? If so, how far should they offset?

Thanks again.

TMCNo1
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Any one know the torque setting on the propeller nut?

And I have a one more question for anyone that might know.

Now that my strut and prop shaft are straight and lined up, it seems that my propeller is now offset to the right of the rudder when looking from behind. Is this a correct location for a straight system? If so, how far should they offset?

Thanks again.

I just tighten the nut up as tight as I can get it w/o cutting my hand on the blade as a general rule. There may be a torque spec. but I'm not familar with it.

Yes it will be offset by about a inch to help eliminate some steering torque and enable you to get the shaft out past the rudder without removing the rudder as a added benefit.

CantRepeat
07-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Got everything put back together and what a great weekend it turned out to be. It was in the 100s and the boat has never ran so smoothly before!

Thanks again!