PDA

View Full Version : Am I damaging my transmission?

johnpdodd
04-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Because the boat ramp we use does not have a steep angle, I have to put the boat in reverse and go to about 2500 rpm for a few seconds to get it off the trailer. Am I damaging the transmission at all given the fact I am starting in reverse at pretty high rpm with a cold transmission?

rmc1
04-22-2005, 05:32 AM
I have done the same with my 84 & 92 without any damage to either.
I reverse mine off every time I take it off the traiker .

jsonova99
04-22-2005, 06:18 AM
I think there are worse things that you can do. I've had to do this in the past with no ill affects. I wouldn't worry about it. If the trannys can rip barefooters up out of the water they can back off of a trailer.

MarkP
04-22-2005, 07:12 AM
I think there are worse things that you can do. I've had to do this in the past with no ill affects. I wouldn't worry about it. If the trannys can rip barefooters up out of the water they can back off of a trailer.Thats what I'm thinkin too..

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Every answer to a transmission strength question I've ever asked my local inboard mechanic has prefaced with "these transmissions are pretty bullet-proof."

Tom Wortham
04-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Every answer to a transmission strength question I've ever asked my local inboard mechanic has prefaced with "these transmissions are pretty bullet-proof."

Good Texas anwser Doug! I like it! :D

jimmer2880
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds like you're a good candidate for "liquid rollers". Like what some on hear have used before. At least it wouldn't take quite as many ponies to get you off your trailer.

Remember though, you can back your vehicle into the water until the water is at the bottom of your axel (not pumpkin, but the axel).

JDK
04-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Am I damaging the transmission at all given the fact I am starting in reverse at pretty high rpm with a cold transmission?

No.
As long as it's in gear (forward or reverse) the transmission is locked solid --- not like a car transmission with a torque converter, which will is slipping whenever the vehicle is in gear but not moving. (the prop in the water acts as the torque converter).

6ballsisall
04-22-2005, 01:37 PM
You wont' hurt it doing that at all. I recently put one of these in my boat, trust me, they are built like brick $hit houses. The Damper plate is your week point and even that should take many many years of serious abuse (more than you are throwing at it doing this)

johnpdodd
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks to each of you for your replies. Makes me feel a lot better about what I'm doing. Appreciate all your feedback.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-24-2005, 09:23 PM
As has been said....the transmission should not object to what you are doing. I would add that you should give the engine a little time to warm before getting heavy on the throttle.