PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tracking Finn

skiwit
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I bent the third tracking fin on my 1991 Prostar 190. I'm not sure why the third one bent and not the first or second one but I believe it happened when I hit a very large partially submerged floating log. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

Can I just remove it heat it up and bend it back or am I wasting my time with that?
Do I have to order a new one and if so where can I order one?

Thanks!

peason
07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Do a search - this has been discussed before. From what I recall new ones are NOT too expensive. See this thread -
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23782&highlight=tracking+fins

TMCNo1
07-19-2008, 10:28 PM
You can try a MC dealer or here, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm, for a replacement. You can always take the chance of trying to straighten it or have it straightened, but???????

Muttley
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Can I just remove it heat it up and bend it back or am I wasting my time with that?

Thanks!

I don't think you'd be wasting your time. It's brass, so it should be fairly easy. I'd try that before buying a new one. What have you got to lose?

tex
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
My old supreme used to bonk on the trailer and bend.(POS). You on the right track...just heat and bend.

Gonzo
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Yea there is a thread somewhere I remember we found the mfr in NC.

TMCNo1
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea there is a thread somewhere I remember we found the mfr in NC.

Here is the post with all the info, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=497241&postcount=15 and the entire thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23782&highlight=skeg

wakeX2wake
07-21-2008, 11:55 AM
heating and bending will make it more brittle and likely to break next time... if you have a method of heat soaking after you get it straight it'd be good as new... they're easy to change out... just need some marine sealant like it probably stated in those other threads

83hurstguy
07-23-2008, 12:05 PM
We've been running with a tweaked front one for a couple years... previous owner beached the boat and bent the front one...

My Dad is paranoid about taking things apart, so he refuses to let it be fixed :rolleyes: Thinks it will crack the hull, never stay together right, yadda yadda yadda... so we live with a boat that does a nasty right turn when you let go of the wheel at slalom speeds.

He's the type of person who will have something running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, with a vibration, and wicked pull to the right, and be going "this thing is AWESOME!" :rolleyes: Drives me nuts. I about had to put a gun to his head to put a 4160 on there, as the 4010 became absolutely horrid and would barely run... he didn't want to "lose any hole shot". (I don't think it could get any worse) :mad:

I had talked to Chuck at BAWS last year and he said they could send one out no problem...

TMCNo1
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
We've been running with a tweaked front one for a couple years... previous owner beached the boat and bent the front one...

My Dad is paranoid about taking things apart, so he refuses to let it be fixed :rolleyes: Thinks it will crack the hull, never stay together right, yadda yadda yadda... so we live with a boat that does a nasty right turn when you let go of the wheel at slalom speeds.

He's the type of person who will have something running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, with a vibration, and wicked pull to the right, and be going "this thing is AWESOME!" :rolleyes: Drives me nuts. I about had to put a gun to his head to put a 4160 on there, as the 4010 became absolutely horrid and would barely run... he didn't want to "lose any hole shot". (I don't think it could get any worse)

I had talked to Chuck at BAWS last year and he said they could send one out no problem...

And they live among us!:rolleyes::D

Sodar
07-23-2008, 12:39 PM

He's the type of person who will have something running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, with a vibration, and wicked pull to the right, and be going "this thing is AWESOME!" :rolleyes: Drives me nuts. I about had to put a gun to his head to put a 4160 on there, as the 4010 became absolutely horrid and would barely run... he didn't want to "lose any hole shot". (I don't think it could get any worse) :mad:

That is really funny! :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
07-23-2008, 12:53 PM

You got it Sodar, I'm still laughing!

I hope Kid Rock never reads that post and sees 83hurstguy's dad at Waffle House, he'll be the devil out of him!:D

chudson
07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Bent mine a couple of years ago, talked to a guy that works in the machine shop here on the Engr. Campus where I work and he said to bring it in and he did a real good job straightening it up. Cleaned away the old gummy caulk that was still on the hull, got some clear marine silicon caulk and put a bead all the way around the base of the fin the goes up on the hull on both sides of the mounting holes then some caulk in the bolt holes and on the bolts head that seat on the fin and tightened everything up. Took my finger and smoothed out the extra caulk that oozed out and have had no problem since!!!
:headbang:

Storm861triple
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
^ I agree. you can straighten that fin, no problem, w/a hydraulic press. It will work fine, and cause no issues...until the next time you bend it, and it will ahve to be bent back again. This is brass we're talking about here...not aluminum. Brass is very malable and will tolerate a lot of bending before any type of fatigue sets in. I wouldn't even heat it. I'd just straighten it in a press and put it back on the boat.

83hurstguy
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM

You got it Sodar, I'm still laughing!

I hope Kid Rock never reads that post and sees 83hurstguy's dad at Waffle House, he'll be the devil out of him!:D

Glad I could provide some humor. Sometimes I laugh, other times I just want to run headfirst into a wall :eek: :D

TMCNo1
07-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Glad I could provide some humor. Sometimes I laugh, other times I just want to run headfirst into a wall :eek: :D

I do it all the time, 38154

skiwit
07-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks for all the advice. This past weekend I tried to heat it and bend it back while it was still on the boat. I was not successful at straightening it. I will try and remove it from the boat this weekend and see what I can do.