PDA

View Full Version : Not Charging

greeneng
07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
1995 PS 190 with LT-1.
Started it this morning and it is not charging. There is voltage on the field terminal of the alternator.

Any hints?. I have not removed the circuit breaker cover yet to see if there are any loose wires, but I have to believe the regulator is bad.

Jim

greeneng
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know whether the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator on this boat, or external. There is a purple wire on the exciter terminal, but I cannot track where it goes until the rain stops. Once before, when it stopped charging, it was because the exciter wire had fallen off the alternator terminal. I just assumed then that the wire went to the regulator. I don't know whether to keep searching, or just pull the alternator and take it to be tested.
Any and all hints will be appreciated.

Jim G.

JLeuck64
07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Here is a pic of mine, from my 98 PS190 w/LT-1. It shows you the regulator is bolted onto the back of the alternator. Pretty simple to remove and replace if you don't have any output from the alternator itself...

JimN
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Make sure the purple wire has 12V on it when the key is on. That wire creates the field and the regulator is internal.

greeneng
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks to both of you. Volts on the purple wire was the first thing I checked. I have had this alternator rebuilt once, just replaced the diodes, and I don't remember seeing the regulator on the back of it. It is raining pretty hard here right now, and I don't want to lift the engine cover to check it until the rain stops.

I just helped a friend remove the alternator from his (1995 also) Malibu, and it did not have a regulator box on it, but it had four wires and I only have two. We had his alternator off before I think I found the problem: the output line had the boot melted onto it. I think the wire crimp on the ring lug was bad. But, he is going to take it home and have it tested, and I am going to do the same once the rain stops.
I did not check his alternator output voltage; I should have. But, I did check mine and it was battery voltage, so nothing was coming out. You have to measure the stud, not the wire, if anyone has the same problem.

Thanks again.

JimN: does the internal regulator alternator have only the two leads, the ORG output line and the purple exciter line?

Jim G.

JimN
07-20-2008, 02:09 PM
If the boot melted, I would suspect a loose nut holding the ring terminal onto the alternator but a bad terminal could do it, too.

Yours should have the two wire alternator, possibly with a jumper from one post to another for the battery and charging leads. Anything else is done internally.

greeneng
07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Here is an update.
I pulled the alternator off yesterday afternoon.
Took it today to a local rebuilder. Got a call about 2:30 today that it was repaired and ready to pick up. $62.00

The problem was the regulator.

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

Jim G.