PDA

View Full Version : Need Expert Help - Which Wakeboard?

OhioX14
07-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I know there are some very accomplished wakeboarders among you so we (my Son and I) thought we would come to you for some expert advise.

My 17 year old son is 5' 10", 140 lbs, and currently rides a Hyperlite Byerly 132 and his stance is currently set at the widest possible setting. He is an aggressive rider who has been doing wake to wake tricks for several years and is now starting to successfully do flips.

In your opinion is this the correct size board or should he be into something bigger? Would a 136 or 137 be a better choice or is he better off on this board? He's always owned Hyperlite boards but also likes Liquid Force.

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

OhioX14
07-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Bump..Anyone?

erkoehler
07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
That sounds a bit on the small side. I would think a 137 would work best for him.......but, what do I know!

www.liquidsportsonline.com find a board, call for a deal :) We have a ton of demo boards that they are liquidating right now!

OhioX14
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
That sounds a bit on the small side. I would think a 137 would work best for him.......but, what do I know!

www.liquidsportsonline.com find a board, call for a deal :) We have a ton of demo boards that they are liquidating right now!

Thanks! That's what he thinks too but I have a hard time justifying a whole new board for 2 inches. Am I wrong or should he stay on his 132 until he's a little bigger and heavier and just jump into a 140 something?

coz
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks! That's what he thinks too but I have a hard time justifying a whole new board for 2 inches. Am I wrong or should he stay on his 132 until he's a little bigger and heavier and just jump into a 140 something?

I picked up a LF Omega 139 for my 16 year old son and he loves it and I even like the ride :D

http://www.bbsboardsports.com/images/omega-139.jpg

ShamrockIV
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM

new board is always a good thing!!!!!!

wakeX2wake
07-21-2008, 10:22 AM
you have to realize that a couple of inches can make a world of difference in the ride-ability/responsiveness of a wakeboard... that being said if hes getting into inverts and a really a comfortable rider i'd find a good ride shop and let him demo what he's comfortable with... that's what its really about... i'm betting he'd befine on a 137-140... the best rider in our area and one of my good friends is about that size and he's riding a Krown Elite 138... best route if it's time for a new setup is just shop and demo... buywake and wakeside and others of the like have decent demo programs it just takes a while w/ shipping if you don't have a board shop close... you can get deals on closeouts and blems (ps if he's going big then i would stay away from a blem board b/c there's a good chance the board could break and you're looking at serious pain) but the better boards are going to be pricey but worth it IMHO for the savings in weight

ps a 132 is a REALLY small board... i think a 127 is the smallest wakeboard i've ever heard of and a 147 is the largest... you can get longer and small in novelty boards like the hyperlite roam and ronix covenant and the liquid force fish but again those are novelty type stuff that's a whole different shape and idea behind riding

OhioX14
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
you have to realize that a couple of inches can make a world of difference in the ride-ability/responsiveness of a wakeboard... that being said if hes getting into inverts and a really a comfortable rider i'd find a good ride shop and let him demo what he's comfortable with... that's what its really about... i'm betting he'd befine on a 137-140... the best rider in our area and one of my good friends is about that size and he's riding a Krown Elite 138... best route if it's time for a new setup is just shop and demo... buywake and wakeside and others of the like have decent demo programs it just takes a while w/ shipping if you don't have a board shop close... you can get deals on closeouts and blems (ps if he's going big then i would stay away from a blem board b/c there's a good chance the board could break and you're looking at serious pain) but the better boards are going to be pricey but worth it IMHO for the savings in weight

ps a 132 is a REALLY small board... i think a 127 is the smallest wakeboard i've ever heard of and a 147 is the largest... you can get longer and small in novelty boards like the hyperlite roam and ronix covenant and the liquid force fish but again those are novelty type stuff that's a whole different shape and idea behind riding

Thanks VERY much for the advise. I have one shop in mind that may offer demos so we'll give them a call.

Any thoughts on specific Hyperlite or Liquid Force boards that might be a good fit based on is current level?

Thanks again!

vision
07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Your son and my son are the same age, weight, and skill level. We have 4 boards representing pretty much the spectrum of LF styles: Fish 129, Witness 136, Watson 138, Lyman 139 ( a friends). My son starting riding the 136 Witness this year and his riding greatly improved. The witness does not have as much pop as the Watson or Lyman, but is more predictable and spins well. He gets phenomenal height off the wake and has a great progressive edge so a little less pop does not matter to him. Plus, you can get it in a package deal with vantage boots. Unless he is riding a wide board like the Fish or a LF Shane, 136 would be the minimum length for your son.