PDA

View Full Version : Starter Click

wsrobert
07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
OK...For the longest time now when I try to crank my boat, the first couple of times usually click. I just turn the key off and then try again and it cranks fine. I've taken the starter off and brought it to a starter shop. They replaced the bushings just to be safe, but said the starter seemed fine. I'm getting good voltage at the starter when it turns over, so I don't know what to do. Any ideas on what to check for?

rholmes
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Have you checked the solenoid?

bigmac
07-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Pretty classic for a bad starter solenoid, but make sure all of your battery connections are solid.

wsrobert
07-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah...thanks. I replaced the relay a little while ago and the starter shop checked the solenoid. I also went through every wire and made sure they were tight and not touching anything else. I'm totally stumped.

rholmes
07-19-2008, 12:58 AM
How did they test the solenoid? I know that the solenoid essentially has two functions in and a three step diagnosis, as it still kind of sounds like it.

Knowing how a system works allows you to simply diagnose a problem. First, is there power to the battery post? Second, is power getting to the small lead that operates the magnet? You hear the "Click" if there is. Third, Is the solenoid connecting the battery lead to the starter motor. (This is tested by connecting a test light to the "other" large post at the time the solenoid is activated) If NO, the solenoid has failed. If YES and the starter didn't turn, then the starter motor is bad. If it is the solenoid, usually once cycled, it will work the next time you try it. It only runs about $15. It might be worth it to try. You can always return it.

The other possible thing to look at is the battery connections. I know you can't see any corrosion sometimes, but it could be there and causing the issue. You could try unhooking the batter cables and running jumper wires from the battery to the solenoid (battery side) and ground to the motor to see if that helps.

bigmac
07-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah...thanks. I replaced the relay a little while ago and the starter shop checked the solenoid. I also went through every wire and made sure they were tight and not touching anything else. I'm totally stumped.

I still think it's the solenoid. I'd spend the $10 to replace it, just to find out.

wsrobert
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Will try it....thanks!!!