PDA

View Full Version : HO Bindings

MarkP
04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Anyone know if the Approach is just the new Phantom?? Also what do you think of them, (either or both)..

John B
04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes, Mark they are the same,but the Approach is red.
Have not ski them yet, but that is what I put on my new SixAm. :D

MarkP
04-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Funny you should say that.. The F1 I am looking for may look a whole lot like a Sixam too, (if I can make the deal work).

betsy&david Harrison
04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Funny you should say that.. The F1 I am looking for may look a whole lot like a Sixam too, (if I can make the deal work).

The new/old hot ski ticket out in our area is the D3. The guys riding it says it kicks a$$. They say it is the best ski they have been on in years.

MarkP
04-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I hear the same thing about the D3. I値l bet I could find a lot of equipment better than the ski I am on right now though.

oxmach
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Mark, the new Approach have the overlay cut down a bit and is made of a bit thinner and more elastic material to address complaints that the Phantoms pushed you in the back of the calf.

I have them, but have not got out on the water. Tired them on and they feel great.

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
From what I understand, the approach has a little more rise in the heel than the phantom did.

MarkP
04-22-2005, 12:37 PM
If I try one of them it will be the Phantom because of the price. They do look like about the best fit for the O達rien, that I may close the deal on today or tomorrow.

I don稚 even remember what bindings O達rien makes. I wonder if I should look at them too?

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
O'Brien's answer to the phantom is the Bio binding. Last year, Bennetts was selling Phantoms for $80 per boot.

betsy&david Harrison
04-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I hear the same thing about the D3. I値l bet I could find a lot of equipment better than the ski I am on right now though.

My husband just got a D3 and it was demo'd one time...stick with two boots...$600.00. Not a bad deal. Check into the demo scene, you could get a great deal. Not a mark on his ski.

MarkP
04-29-2005, 09:42 PM
My husband just got a D3 and it was demo'd one time...stick with two boots...$600.00. Not a bad deal. Check into the demo scene, you could get a great deal. Not a mark on his ski.
My new used Sixam just got shipped this morning. With it may end up more than 600 but I think I値l do alright.

I found some Approach for 350 including shipping but that is still way out of my ball park

BriEOD
04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Big money Mark!!

Andr
04-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Men,i missed the part where you decided on the Sixam instead of the F1.
Congrats! You'll be flying with that set up...Yaaa, coming Honey.Sorry guys have fun !

BriEOD
04-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah Andre, go take the trash out! 8p

MarkP
04-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Men,i missed the part where you decided on the Sixam instead of the F1.
Congrats! You'll be flying with that set up...Yaaa, coming Honey.Sorry guys have fun !
Andre, thanks,

I was going to use the F1 until 典he Ski came along.. Well The Ski came along. SO no F1 for Daddy Sweetwater..

Mag_Red
04-29-2005, 10:12 PM
My husband just got a D3 and it was demo'd one time...stick with two boots...$600.00. Not a bad deal. Check into the demo scene, you could get a great deal. Not a mark on his ski.Where did he get the demo ski???

MarkP
04-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Big money Mark!!
I値l bet you got a lot more under that observer seat of yours.. Sure it rocks too:toast:

gogo
04-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I have the phantoms on my cdx 20th aniversary. I love them. Easy to get into, comfortable, easy to get out of, be it falling etc. They replaced the original animals that blew apart in less than a year. Excellent lateral support, feel different from high wraps as they are cut a little lower but no real change in edging I found.

ski_king
04-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Mark, here is a pair of front lace up high boot bindings for you.

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I found some Approach for 350 including shipping but that is still way out of my ball park

Mark, call Bennetts. They can probably get you into some phantoms for cheap.

Pslot, that's just scary! :eek:

MarkP
04-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Powerslot, nice, but I have the silver tape that will hold up longer. What did your wife and kids think when you started wrapping that tape around them boots. After seeing you try to get into your new equipment I can only imagine..

Doug I called them a couple days ago. No luck.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Bummer. Last September, they had them for $80 per boot. I should've jumped on them.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
I知 ok with it. I 努ant the Phantom but I probably 渡eed the Animal. I guess I知 in no hurry, well until that ski shows up on my doorstep .

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 02:25 AM
That was how I talked myself out of them. The animals feel great. And I don't put enough time on them to have the problems with the overlays ripping. Still, I'd like to get a set in on the phantom/approach boots just to see what I'm missing.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 08:44 AM
You may not want to know what you are missing..

I just yesterday got outbid on a set of 04 Animals. I was high bid until 30 seconds form the end. I could have won but I was bidding half heartedly. I was at 201. Think they went for 203.50.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Glad that wasn't me sniping those boots. I'd have felt bad. But there's really no reason to bid on anything on ebay until 30 seconds before the end. But it sounds like, even if you had tried to snipe them, somebody else wanted them just a little bit more. There will be others. Careful buying used boots on ebay. Some people wear those things out faster than others.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 11:15 AM
I was hoping that that would happen. Not sure I wanted them.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 11:17 AM
I hear ya. They have bid sniping software out there. But I prefer to be Johnny on the Spot with my clicking finger.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I知 ok with it. I 努ant the Phantom but I probably 渡eed the Animal. I guess I知 in no hurry, well until that ski shows up on my doorstep .

You Cant always get what you 展ant.. But if you try sometimes, you get what you 哲EED:banana: !!!

MarkP
05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
That was how I talked myself out of them. The animals feel great. And I don't put enough time on them to have the problems with the overlays ripping. Still, I'd like to get a set in on the phantom/approach boots just to see what I'm missing.Doug What size feet/Animals are you sportin?

east tx skier
05-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Size 10 feet. Size Large Animals.

Ric
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Careful buying used boots on ebay. Some people wear those things out faster than others.

and the fungus........... :eek:

MarkP
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
and the fungus........... :eek:
Now that doesn稚 make me feel good about the bindings I bought at all

Size 10 feet. Size Large Animals.
Thanks Doug, I hope the Mediums I bought wont be to tight. The web site I looked at said M would work for size (9-10) I am a 10. But my Connelly bindings are L.

I asked a seller on ebay to put a Buy It Now on his animals and got them for 150.. They are in great shape so if they are to small I guess I can ebay them..

Ric
05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Now that doesn稚 make me feel good about the bindings I bought at all

Thanks Doug, I hope the Mediums I bought wont be to tight. The web site I looked at said M would work for size (9-10) I am a 10. But my Connelly bindings are L.

I asked a seller on ebay to put a Buy It Now on his animals and got them for 150.. They are in great shape so if they are to small I guess I can ebay them..

I wear a 12 in a shoe and xl front and xxl rear venom binding and I do not cinch them up. I'm funny like that

MarkP
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
This 都elect water ski binding size dropdown, http://www.boardco.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2308 , is the only thing that has me hopeful that I can use the medium bindings I bought on ebay, me being a 10.

Do you guys know if the size can be adjusted on the animals other than with the laces???

oxmach
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't think so, they have the orthodic insoles (arch support etc.) More like a good pair of shoes. I'm an 8 and the medium is a snug fit in the approach. I wore a large in the Venom, quite comfortable ,but had to cinch it up. A medium would have been a better fit, but would have required lube to get in.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't think so, they have the orthodic insoles (arch support etc.) More like a good pair of shoes. I'm an 8 and the medium is a snug fit in the approach. I wore a large in the Venom, quite comfortable ,but had to cinch it up. A medium would have been a better fit, but would have required lube to get in.
Thanks, that痴 what I was afraid of.

I have to give the M a try now, they are on the way. I am afraid I will be selling them but had to try them.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
You can loosen the overlays with a screwdriver. The thing about a larger size is that you can cinch them down tight with the laces. I usually leave the laces somewhat loose though. My wife wears medium venoms and I have worn them. A little harder to get out of, but it worked.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 02:06 PM
You can loosen the overlays with a screwdriver. The thing about a larger size is that you can cinch them down tight with the laces. I usually leave the laces somewhat loose though. My wife wears medium venoms and I have worn them. A little harder to get out of, but it worked.
That痴 cool, My Connelly bindings have holes in the overlays that sound like what you are talking about. My large Connellys are adjusted to about as small as they can go and I don稚 think it would hurt to have them a little smaller but not much.

Probably would be ideal for me to have a large and crank them down after they are on. Who knows though ?? Guess I will in a few days.

MarkP
12-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Anyone know if the Approach is just the new Phantom?? Also what do you think of them, (either or both)..

Well then!! That didn稚 take long. Not that I can use them, but, I finally got my 04 Phantom bindings in the mail today..

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Fancy schmancy!

ski_king
12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
So Mark, how many sets of bindings do you have now?

MarkP
12-22-2005, 06:18 PM
So Mark, how many sets of bindings do you have now?
LOL, just two. The 05 Bio bindings and this new, used set. If spring ever comes I can try them out. I am going to sell the pair I like least. I was just sitting in my living room with the Phantoms on, (you know how that is).. They feel good!

MarkP
12-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Fancy schmancy!
Thanks Doug. I致e wanted to try a pair for a while.. Just had to find the right pair..

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Mark admit it you had on one new and one old! :D

MarkP
12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Mark admit it you had on one new and one old! :D
No way man! Symmetry, its all about symmetry!!

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
How did that chicken turn out?

MarkP
12-22-2005, 06:49 PM
That was last night man.. I知 goin to have to get that recipe up on the cooking thread.

I think we are going out for Mexican and Margaritas tonight. Then, home for Tequila!!

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Have some for me bro. This cold is kickin' my butt.

ntidsl
12-23-2005, 09:07 AM
i just got a 2005 pair of animals for $250 from www.perfski.com

Larryp
12-23-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a set of xl animal bindings from last year, unfortunately they are two small for me. If you want to buy send me a pm and I'll e-mail you pictures. the rear binding has a sun faded strap it may be an '04 the front is a '05.

Hemey5
01-05-2006, 11:57 AM
I changed to the Approach bindings late last year, I'm currently riding a 2004 Truth. They are great. My previous bindings were the HO Animals.
The Approach puts your feet into a proper ski position, like snow ski's do, something to get use to if never experienced before.
If you have a good body position in pulling behind the boat they will do wonders for you. If you tend to break at the waist a lot than you might be out the front a little more.
After go out the front a few times, hopefully your brain will remember not to break at the waiste next time.

Good Luck.

MarkP
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Well I had the chance to try out my new to me HO痴. Wow! ME LIKE!!
Oh, BTW, Check out my Bio痴

pq2
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I have Aproachs in my 06 monza and they work awsome, dont even need soap or anything to put them on.

betsy&david Harrison
05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I'd embarrass myself if I showed you what is sittin on my ski. One new binding in front and the old one in the rear. Must do something about that someday.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Betsy, is one of those an old O'Brien Advantage boot? If so, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I love the old advantage boots. Just spitballin'.

MarkP
05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I have Aproachs in my 06 monza and they work awsome, dont even need soap or anything to put them on.
Nice looking setup pq!!! But I probably already said that at some point..

pq2
05-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Nice looking setup pq!!! But I probably already said that at some point..

i know Mark, thanks to your coment i realize that i dont need soap :worthy:

Ric
09-17-2006, 01:59 PM
anyone know the best place to get some new overlays for my venom front and rear bindings??

88 PS190
09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
from HO is probably the only way, or an HO dealer. Isn't there a warranty on HO binding overlays?

Ric
09-17-2006, 02:06 PM
from HO is probably the only way, or an HO dealer. Isn't there a warranty on HO binding overlays? I'd be out of line to ask them to warrant these as I've been running them since 03 or 04 if memory serves:o

SlackAt15Off
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I'd be out of line to ask them to warrant these as I've been running them since 03 or 04 if memory serves:o

Talking to my dealer today, he said that HO has a 1 year warranty on all of their products. You never really know though, seeing as though the Venom was a current product for '06 they still may repair it free of charge. I have sent several things back to HO and I have been impressed with the service every time. We had an older binding on a a pair of combo ski's that were certainly older than 1 year old and they fixed them free of charge.

Contact your local HO authorized dealer and see what they say. Shipping is free and I believe you only have to pay for parts on repairs.

east tx skier
09-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Ric, try these guys.

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/index.aspx

Also, you might try M2 in Houston.

edwinfuqua
09-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Maybe that's my biggest problem I'm using FREE SKIs. You know no $ no problem. I don't even know anything about them except they are TEAL and they remind me of the ones I learned on 30 years ago and they worked good then. I'm glad things are so up-to-date and the new tech works better. The biggest problem I have is I'm not working better. Who was it that said, "put it off till next year and you will only be a year older"?

Anybody going to the Jefferson, GA Ski event next weekend?

Edwin

Ric
09-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Maybe that's my biggest problem I'm using FREE SKIs. You know no $ no problem. I don't even know anything about them except they are TEAL and they remind me of the ones I learned on 30 years ago and they worked good then. I'm glad things are so up-to-date and the new tech works better. The biggest problem I have is I'm not working better. Who was it that said, "put it off till next year and you will only be a year older"?

Anybody going to the Jefferson, GA Ski event next weekend?

Edwin From the looks of your posts in Pendo's thread, you like to spend your money on Horsepower:eek:

H20skeefreek
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM

How in the world can you get them on without soap???? I've got XL's and still can't do that. I've had to do it a few times b/c I ran out of soap, but you are talking about some serious pain there!

pq2
09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
At the begining i was using them with out soap, but i started havin big pain in my back foot. Now I use soap and they work much better.

88 PS190
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
just lose a layer of skin and they slide right on!

east tx skier
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Soap was mandatory with my approaches IIRC.

SlackAt15Off
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
ditto, if i don't use soap, there's no way i'm getting into my phantoms.

ctmc190
09-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Mark
The Phantom is about the same as the Approach. I had a set of phantoms but the insides tore apart. I sent them back to HO and they sent me the Approach. I will never go back to a rear entry binding. They are sooooo comfortable and give great lateral support! One thing about them both is DO NOT pull hard on the laces. They are designed to be snug only. At first it is a little weird, but you will be very happy you did not pull hard on the laces. You do not need them to be tight; you need the lateral support for slalom skiing not front support
You will love them, 5 people I ski with use them.

SlackAt15Off
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Mark
The Phantom is about the same as the Approach. I had a set of phantoms but the insides tore apart. I sent them back to HO and they sent me the Approach. I will never go back to a rear entry binding. They are sooooo comfortable and give great lateral support! One thing about them both is DO NOT pull hard on the laces. They are designed to be snug only. At first it is a little weird, but you will be very happy you did not pull hard on the laces. You do not need them to be tight; you need the lateral support for slalom skiing not front support

how long after using them did they insides tear apart? i just picked up a pair and used them for about 2 sets. i love the way they feel but i'm not looking forward to the insides tearing apart like you say. the most i heard people had problems with was the velcro strap tearing at the base of the boot. i'm glad to see that HO took care of you and upgraded you to a set of approach boots.

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Mark

For me, unfortunately, there wasn't difference between snug and tight. In other words, unless they were really snug, I didn't feel connected to the ski, especially in the front boot. When I got them tight enough to feel good from a control standpoint, they wouldn't release.

SlackAt15Off
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
For me, unfortunately, there wasn't difference between snug and tight. In other words, unless they were really snug, I didn't feel connected to the ski, especially in the front boot. When I got them tight enough to feel good from a control standpoint, they wouldn't release.

i can see this being the case. after a set on my venom bindings, i could easily pull my foot out of the binding without loosening the rear lace. however, when using the phantom's, i have to unstrap them to get them off my feet.

would buying the next size in binding fix this issue? the recommended binding size for me (size 12) was an XL.

88 PS190
09-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Upping binding size adds different difficulty, in general your binding should fit the foot, then squeeze across the top of the forefoot and support the ankle laterally.

If it doesn't fit the forefoot you tighten the ankle to make up for it and get control, and then the foot no longer fits through the ankle hole.

For this reason a skier running a medium binding w/ the overlay loose ought to come out easier than same guy running a large w/ the overlay extra tight to make up the squeeze. As the overlay tends to be the most securely gripping.

I'm glad I don't have to debate this anymore.

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
i can see this being the case. after a set on my venom bindings, i could easily pull my foot out of the binding without loosening the rear lace. however, when using the phantom's, i have to unstrap them to get them off my feet.

would buying the next size in binding fix this issue? the recommended binding size for me (size 12) was an XL.

I'm a size 10 and was in Larges (bottom of the range). I solved the issue by selling them and going to Wileys.

SlackAt15Off
09-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm a size 10 and was in Larges (bottom of the range). I solved the issue by selling them and going to Wileys.

I used to use Venom's and I was using Larges. I loved the way they felt when my feet were in them but putting them on was a pain without soap. Twice it happened that I easily came out of them on a fall, but when going to put it back on I ripped the rear pull strap.

Upping binding size adds different difficulty, in general your binding should fit the foot, then squeeze across the top of the forefoot and support the ankle laterally.

If it doesn't fit the forefoot you tighten the ankle to make up for it and get control, and then the foot no longer fits through the ankle hole.

For this reason a skier running a medium binding w/ the overlay loose ought to come out easier than same guy running a large w/ the overlay extra tight to make up the squeeze. As the overlay tends to be the most securely gripping.

I'm glad I don't have to debate this anymore.

thank you for filling me in

88 PS190
09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Never try to pull highwraps on w/o soap... don't get people who do that.

east tx skier
09-20-2006, 12:04 AM
I used to use Venom's and I was using Larges. I loved the way they felt when my feet were in them but putting them on was a pain without soap. Twice it happened that I easily came out of them on a fall, but when going to put it back on I ripped the rear pull strap.

Wileys is actually the only binding maker I know that says use lots of soap to put the bindings on. HO says don't do it I guess because they don't want people trying to cram into boots that are too small, subsequently break their leg, and sue them. Can't say I blame them.

I had (still have Animals size (L)). Always used soap and never had a problem coming out of them. But I never felt the need to run them tight like I did the approaches. Oh well, bygones for me.

PendO
09-20-2006, 12:16 AM
No Joke ... I started using 303 to get in and out of my Animal bindng this year:)

88 PS190
09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Yea "no lube" means looser bindings, they know users of their bindings will be using soap to get them on. No doubt.

303 seems a little expensive to get in.

ctmc190
09-20-2006, 10:05 AM
how long after using them did they insides tear apart? i just picked up a pair and used them for about 2 sets. i love the way they feel but i'm not looking forward to the insides tearing apart like you say. the most i heard people had problems with was the velcro strap tearing at the base of the boot. i'm glad to see that HO took care of you and upgraded you to a set of approach boots.

Sorry I should have said separated. The neoprene separated from the rubber in 4 months. I am on my 2nd season with the Approach and have NO problem with the neoprene, I ski 3 to 5 times a week 4 to 5 sets. It probably was an isolated problem.
The strap is a problem. The new straps are shorter than the old, you are supposed to move the straps forward on the boot and they work.
HO was great with the problem, they asked no questions, just replaced them. It is how customer service should be, keep the customer happy.

SlackAt15Off
09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Yea "no lube" means looser bindings, they know users of their bindings will be using soap to get them on. No doubt.

303 seems a little expensive to get in.

a bottle of the $.99 dish soap works for me!

Never try to pull highwraps on w/o soap... don't get people who do that.

When I took a fall and I came out of the boots, the majority of the time I could just slide the boots right back on and be done with it while I was still in the water.

Sorry I should have said separated. The neoprene separated from the rubber in 4 months. I am on my 2nd season with the Approach and have NO problem with the neoprene, I ski 3 to 5 times a week 4 to 5 sets. It probably was an isolated problem.
The strap is a problem. The new straps are shorter than the old, you are supposed to move the straps forward on the boot and they work.
HO was great with the problem, they asked no questions, just replaced them. It is how customer service should be, keep the customer happy.

Ahh...I understand now. Glad to see all was taken care of and that you are happy with the new boots. That's one reason why I stick with HO, I have dealt with their customer service a few times and have been very pleased each and every time.

alp
09-22-2006, 03:53 PM
They are definately different. I've be in the Animals for several years. Users have said the Approach offers more support and firmer fit without as much cramping. Also said it drives or flexes the ankle into a more forward position and does not release in falls. Check out HO's web site for more.

SlackAt15Off
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
They are definately different. I've be in the Animals for several years. Users have said the Approach offers more support and firmer fit without as much cramping. Also said it drives or flexes the ankle into a more forward position and does not release in falls. Check out HO's web site for more.

Is this in response to my posting or the original post? If you are referring to the original post, he is asking the difference between APPROACH and PHANTOM boots, not Animals.

88 PS190
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Phantoms are the older version, in the grey color. They don't have as much forwards ankle pressure as the approach boot does.

Animals cramp because they rely on squeezing through the forefoot to hold your foot in posistion.

The Approach boot will hold you in place by stiffness like a hardshell does.