PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Conversion from drum to disk brakes

DAinAZ
04-21-2005, 07:13 PM
The tongue cylinder on my trailer has broken. I'm not sure if the seals are gone or the drums are frozen or what. I haven't taken the time to investigate too much. I did look into converting though to disk brakes. I found the trailer company that made the tongue cylinder and then have conversion kits for about $300.

Any thoughts on that? I do want to get my brakes working one way or another. It is hard on my vehicle brakes without them.

jake
04-21-2005, 08:32 PM
You'll find several past threads on here on this topic. Short recommendation is convert to disk...I redid all my breaks last year and it cost me about the same as it would have cost to convert. New master cylinder, new break lines and connections, new drum assemblys...wish I had just done the conversion.

MarkP
04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
300 bucks.. Is that for a new master and the hub assemblies or just the hub assemblies?? That sounds like a decent deal. You know we are going to need a link.

victor
04-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Check out this article on disc versus drum brakes.

http://www.championtrailers.com/DrumVsDiscBrakeArtcl.htm

MarkP
04-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Good read victor, Thanks..

And welcome aboard:wavey:

jimmer2880
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Good read. Hmmm... makes me re-think my decision to go Disk when I finally get around to re-doing my trailer brakes.

DAinAZ
04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Check out this article on disc versus drum brakes.

http://www.championtrailers.com/DrumVsDiscBrakeArtcl.htm

I was also thinking disks was the way to go, but now I'm thinking twice. My boat doesn't weigh hardly anything. I usually see the disk brakes on tandem trailers. I have single axle.

I'll know more this weekend when I check out my actuator and the drum brakes themselves. If I have to replace everything anyways, I am going to seriously consider disks just from a maintenance standpoint. It would be nice to have the oil filled bearings with the nifty level view glass like the new trailers have.

stevoh20
04-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I emailed a Tie Down rep. and he says not to use the oil filled bearings with their SS disc brakes. They get too hot?? Don't know what MFG brand is on the MC new stuff, but the engineer stated that the oil-filled is only for ventilated brakes. I wanted SS instead, so I am back to grease hubs.