PDA

View Full Version : So my wife calls me at lunch.....

captain planet
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
......and tells me that the Suburban is making funny noises when she turns. "Grinding" noises. (she heard the noises her mom's car made when the sway bar was broken and we were driving it and she said it was like that) She is at the store, so I tell her to stop, turn the wheel and check under the front of the truck to see what she can see. She can't see anything wrong. She tells me that when she turns left the truck comes to a stop and doesn't want to move and "really makes a funny sound".

So I drive back home from work, 30 minutes, to check out the truck. I figure if it is grinding like she says, I don't want it going down the road with her and the kids in it even if it is only 2 miles to the house. Plus one time I did the brakes I had a bolt from the caliper come out and boy was that an awful sound and the truck didn't want to move that time either.

I get there and can't see anything wrong under the truck and everything is tight. I start it up to find it is in 4WD. :noface: I put it back in 2WD and drive it around the parking lot a little turning sharp and everything feels and sounds fine. I'm just wondering what kind of damage may have occured.

I figure that tonight after I get home from work I will check out the CV joints to see if they are loose or feel damaged.

I come to find out that my son was crawling around in the truck before they left probably put it in 4WD and she didnt' know it. Ahhh, aren't 4 year olds great?

JLeuck64
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Should be OK.

The noise she was hearing was coming from the bind created while in 4WD.

The transfer case doesn't have a differential like the front and rear axles do. So, when turning tight corners the front drive line is trying to turn at a different speed than the rear drive line. On pavement you have pretty good traction and with all the wheels turning at different speeds it gets transferred back into the driveline. Off road the wheels can slip more easily so you would rarely hear the binding...
HTH

captain planet
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Should be OK.

The noise she was hearing was coming from the bind created while in 4WD.

The transfer case doesn't have a differential like the front and rear axles do. So, when turning tight corners the front drive line is trying to turn at a different speed than the rear drive line. On pavement you have pretty good traction and with all the wheels turning at different speeds it gets transferred back into the driveline. Off road the wheels can slip more easily so you would rarely hear the binding...
HTH

I always thought it was because in 4WD both the front tires are powered at the same speed, and when you turn the inside tire of the turn has to travel a shorter distance than the outside tire thus creating a bind. I explained this to her and to check the 4WD button first next time.

rholmes
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
JUst watch it real closely for the next couple weeks for leaks. You might even check the trandfer case level in a week to see if it is low. Depending on what kind of speeds she was driving, it can sometimes cause the bolts to loosen up on the t-case (over 60mph). Just be mindful over the next few weeks.

atlfootr
07-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Read the first line, guess'n it could be the CV Joints ...
back to the rest of the story.

Finished read'n ...
Jus' so happens I too own a 4Weel Drive, Toyota Pckup.

Depend'n on the amount of miles she drove it while in 4wheel drive, you maybe ok.
It's reccommended by my dealer to drive it 10 miles every so often to keep the gear case
work'n. Used it all the time in Georgia, hardly ever use it here in Florida anymore.

Willski
07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds like she didn't drive it that much. I doubt there are any problems.

GASouthernMC
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
I would watch the CV axles if I was you. One time I drove my 4x4 with IFS with it in 4 wheel drive and it wore out the retaining clip inside the differential and about a week later I had the stub axle fall out of the differential. Not a pretty noise when that happens by any means

x-10ron
07-17-2008, 08:59 PM
working for a chevy dealer, we get this all the time, no big deal. your suburban is going to be ok, Ive seen where people drove in 4x4 mode and there only complaint was there getting horrable gas milage, when ask how long it was in 4x4 mode? (answer) I don't know been like that since I bought it, 17,000 miles later!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
07-17-2008, 09:14 PM
How could you damage anything, a 4X vehicle is meant to do that??

bcampbe7
07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
How could you damage anything, a 4X vehicle is meant to do that??

Not sure if Captain's Suburban is the same, but on my Yukon I have 2WD, Auto 4WD, and 4WD Hi and 4WD Lo.

In 4WD Hi and Lo I believe the transfer case is locked. That can cause some damage if driven on pavement where the tires cannot spin.

ski_king
07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
No big deal, it should be fine. It takes a lot to hurt something........ but then again, it was a Chevy....

I am good for at least one 35 mile trip per summer with the 4x4 still engaged. Did it today coming home from the river. Didn't realize until I was turning around at home in the driveway.

I got a call once from wife and she couldn't get car started. When I went to check, the car wasn't in park, it was half way in reverse. Just pushed the selector into P the whole way and started it.

Chief
07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Lucky it wasn't 4 low!

Willski
07-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I think on dry pavement, the resistance to turning (in tighter turns) is high enough to alert you to being in 4WD. If you can't notice it, (on wet or dirt surfaces), then there is not much stress on the system. Sounds like she noticed the resistance, and called you, so probably didn't make a lot of tight turns in 4WD!! I know I notice right away the groaning on my truck, if I am in 4WD on dry.

captain planet
07-18-2008, 08:33 AM
After I got home last night and had the chance to ask a few more questions I found out a few things. She basically went from our house to the store which is basically a little more than 2 miles. If you count turning out of our driveway, she only made 3 turns and she didn't notice anything till she got in the parking lot where she was turning into a parking space.

We took the kids to get ice cream last night so we took the truck so I could listen to it and drive it. It seemed fine, no noises or anything so I didn't climb under and check the CV joints. Next oil change, which will be in the next week or so, I will be under the truck with a grease gun and I will check it out then.

atlfootr
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Make sure you grease ALLPOINTS really nice 'n heavy :D

captain planet
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Make sure you grease ALLPOINTS really nice 'n heavy :D

I will be sure to get all 13 points really good.

I really detest greasing the front end of that truck. PIA! :rant:

Datdude
07-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I am still not sure why GM does not have a 4x4 indicator light on the dash. About 6 years ago I had a 1998 Silverado and was pulling out of a snowy parking lot onto a busy highway so I put it in 4x4. After getting on the highway I forgot to shut it off and proceeded to drive 130 miles on dry pavement at 75mph. I did not know the 4x4 was on until I got off the highway and tried to turn. That truck had a small 2mm x 2mm orange light on the actual button which was not in my field of view. This still bothers me as my 2007 Silverado is the same. Very frustrating why there is not an indicator light (like cruise control, etc.)

captain planet
07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Yea, the light is very inconspicuous. Part of the reason that she missed it. I had a 1996 Ford Ranger 4X4 and when you were in 4wd you knew it because there was a very noticable indicator light on the dash.