PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Paint from Gel Coat?

mikemcc
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
A previous owner of my 1992 PS 190 undoubtedly decided to paint the underside of the teak swim platform while it was still on the boat (???). Unfortunately, he was not real skilled with his paint job and thus got white paint all over the back of the boat (all along the accent stripe). I have been able to get the paint off of the platform using a paint stripper, but I do not know what I can safely use to get the paint off of the gelcoat. I have tried acetone with no effect.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks.

TMCNo1
07-17-2008, 03:24 PM
A previous owner of my 1992 PS 190 undoubtedly decided to paint the underside of the teak swim platform while it was still on the boat (???). Unfortunately, he was not real skilled with his paint job and thus got white paint all over the back of the boat (all along the accent stripe). I have been able to get the paint off of the platform using a paint stripper, but I do not know what I can safely use to get the paint off of the gelcoat. I have tried acetone with no effect.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks.

I would think lacquer thinner or acetone would remove it, but I guess if that didn't work then compound would be your next route. Maybe others will be able to help better!37739

Muttley
07-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Try lacquer thinner. If he used marine enamel, it'll be a %$#@ to get off.

Willski
07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Paint sticks to gel pretty well I noticed. They sometimes paint the guide balls at our course and it gets on your boat if you hit one!! I rub and rub with wax and it finally comes off.

mikemcc
07-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone. Lacquer thinner seemed to work the best, with lots of rubbing and a plastic scraper. Looks much better than it did when I started.

boatweight
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
How about if the previous owner painted the registration ID numbers to the hull? I need to change numbers but can't seem to get the paint off the hull, any suggestions?

boatweight
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I had a little scare this weekend. I tried lacquer thinner on small section of the painted on hull numbers and it did a great job taking the paint off (the hull is white and the numbers are red) but the lacquer softenend the gel coat enough to pick up the red pigment. I was a little stressed. The solution was to tap off the numbers, wet sand with 1500, use a rubbing compound to take out the small scratches, and then wax the whole area. The area that had picked up the red in the gel coat came right up and the new numbers look good; can't even see the area that I wet sanded. Thanks

ShamrockIV
08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
painted the platform????

i am surprised harold did not faint from the thought of painted teak!!!!!

coz
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
painted the platform????

i am surprised harold did not faint from the thought of painted teak!!!!!

Come to think of it I haven't seen a post in a while :confused: will someone rush a quart of Teak Oil over there and check on him? This could be sereious :rolleyes: